Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst summer ever

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

marcsignal wrote: »
    You sure that was 1981 ?

I remember a 2 week long teachers strike when I was in secondary, but don't think it was Sept 1981.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think I have an old newspaper from the time relating to this. It will be among a ton of similar newspapers and stuff, from significant and quirky events that I collect, but I'll see if I can dig it out.

I started secondary in 1980, in 2nd year we did not start back for two weeks because of a strike.

Which was great, because I got taken to the Botanical gardens, Natural History Museem, walked up the to the Three rock, and other parts of dublin, by this ex British army officer/IRA Man/Papal Knight

give kids a break in the eighties because of weather,you is having a giraffe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

kelle wrote: »
    TBH I can't remember one good Summer since 2006!

I started running this year, and I found it easy because I didn't have to endure high temperatures during races - it was always cool, windy or raining buckets much to my delight :D
    yep youre right there just as the recession had started, its all connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

LizT wrote: »
    It's Ireland. Why are people always so surprised when we have a sh1te summer?

Growing up summer was generally sh1te, but once every few years we had a good solid one, and even the rest of the summers usually had one or two periods of really good weather lasting a few weeks. Put basically, most summers you had a long enough spell to leave yourself with a tan for a few weeks or months.

I think it was 2008 I remember we had maybe 2 or 3 sunny days. It was after that that I decided that mentally I could not stick another summer back home. Even if our economy was not tits up I still would not be living in Ireland, the weather is too awful. I would gladly live back home if we had the same weather as the rest of Northern and Central Europe- a bitter winter in exchange for 3 or 4 months of great weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Sh1te weather is just a state of mind...

Greetings from sunny warm Madrid.

Twas an awful 24 degrees there yesterday though! And it'll be an icy 27 degrees today. Brrrr. God love us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

df1985 wrote: »
    today would be classed as a cracker in comparison to how ****e the rest of the summer was, only about 20 degrees.

"Only"? How do people like temperatures that high...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I started secondary in 1980, in 2nd year we did not start back for two weeks because of a strike.

Which was great, because I got taken to the Botanical gardens, Natural History Museem, walked up the to the Three rock, and other parts of dublin, by this ex British army officer/IRA Man/Papal Knight

give kids a break in the eighties because of weather,you is having a giraffe

Actually, you're spot on who the fug, fair play to your memory. ;)

I have the clipping here from the Evening Press which reads..

'Indian Summer beckons as Teachers strike looms'

...with just a pic of a crowd on a beach somewhere. I've no scanner but will try to post later.

Can't imaging the kids are too happy about our half decent weather right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Had to put thsi somewhere. It is adding to my miserable summer

FKUC DUBLIN

We are getting hammered, I am abandoning this match before I blow a gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Sappa wrote: »
    I can't for my 31 years remember a ****tier summer than we have just had.
    Depressing weather not 3 good days in a row and a major let down.

I'm sick of people giving out about the weather. There were so many days this year that I was stuck in work, schweatin' me head off, wishing I was outside in the sun. So many days. We had about 20 or 30 days with temperatures up around 18, 19, 20 degrees and higher. Plenty of nice days in April, May, June, July, August and September has been pretty good so far.

It was a grand summer.

Don't forget about the nice heat wave back in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sometimes, I think, people prefer sunshine all the time, temperatures above 40 degrees all the time, forest fires...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

enda1 wrote: »
    I live abroad but visited Ireland for 1 week over the summer. 5 of the 7 days were great. 3 of them spectacular! Must have gotten lucky :)

Yeah, I was back for three weeks and the weather was pretty good. There were only two really bad days and some great sunshine, relatively speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

'69 was moist, warm, and had a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Speak for yourself i never had 2 days rain in a row all summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Also had a poor summer. Bad weather, lots of funerals to go to and on crutches for a while. Starting to save now to go abroad next summer! Rio! Awww yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I'm sick of people giving out about the weather. There were so many days this year that I was stuck in work, schweatin' me head off, wishing I was outside in the sun. So many days. We had about 20 or 30 days with temperatures up around 18, 19, 20 degrees and higher. Plenty of nice days in April, May, June, July, August and September has been pretty good so far.

It was a grand summer.

20 degrees and pissing rain! As someone who works outdoors every day, I couldn't disagree more (as would everyone else who works outdoors)!

Worst ever in my opinion. I had to buy a second set of wet great at the end of July as my first set was constantly wet. I go to the same site every Tuesday and had to wear my wet overalls every single Tuesday from April until last week.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

once you get use to the fact we dont get continental style summers in ireland you realise how dumb it is to complain every year.

stop complaining! oh no wait then you will start complaining that children have feet, so bah humbug! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I can't for my 31 years remember a ****tier summer than we have just had.
    Depressing weather not 3 good days in a row and a major let down.

It was a grand summer.

You keep deluding yourself lad,grand summer me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

nacimroc wrote: »
    20 degrees and pissing rain! As someone who works outdoors every day, I couldn't disagree more (as would everyone else who works outdoors)!

Worst ever in my opinion. I had to buy a second set of wet great at the end of July as my first set was constantly wet. I go to the same site every Tuesday and had to wear my wet overalls every single Tuesday from April until last week.:mad:

You keep deluding yourself lad,grand summer me arse.

Where are you living lads? I'm in Dublin and that's been my experience.

It's just the usual Irish weather. We always get rain. It's not Spain.

It was 20 degrees with rain but in August for example, there were a lot of days when it rained in the morning but was bright sunshine from 12 o'clock until 7. Can't ask for more than that.

Just wrecks my head people complaining about the weather. Shure it's the same as always. The last 6 years in the office I'm in, as we get to the end of August, the same conversation about how bad the summer has been goes on. If it's a bad summer every year, well then it's not a bad summer. It's just summer.

There were sh*tloads of sunny days (in Dublin).

Having said all that, there were days that were sunny here and then I'd be chatting to my Mam in Portlaoise and she'd say "terrible day isn't it?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I've just gotten used to it. Most Irish people I know spend vast majority in front of the box or the internet regardless, who gives rats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

It was 20 degrees with rain but in August for example, there were a lot of days when it rained in the morning but was bright sunshine from 12 o'clock until 7. Can't ask for more than that.

If you were working outside you would have got soaked for 4 hours that morning! And thats a good day?? Great summer my hole! Its got to the stage where people don't even know what a good day should be like anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Well it looks like a fine settled start to Autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

LizT wrote: »
    It's Ireland. Why are people always so surprised when we have a sh1te summer?

Its not surprising, its just fvckin annoying. What is it at this stage? 4 bad summers in a row. Jesus its kinda depressing.

By the way, the people saying 'ah twas a grand summer begora'.....eh? WTF are on about? Did you actually spend the 'summer' in this country coz all I will remember from the summer of 2012 is

rain - drizzle - cloudy - humidity - rain - rain - more drizzle and so on and so forth...

I'd be the first person to say this is a fantastic place to be when we get a decent bit of weather but jeesus this continual non-summer business year after year is kinda spirit crushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

No one ever said this country was supposed to be for habitation, why do you think 90% of the population is practically boxed in on the east side? The Celts (or whatever we are) were the tribe that got the shove everywhere they went in darwinian fashion. Dont mean this harshly, but you could move to a nicer climate, we are a nomadic species and weather was a major reason why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Met Eireann confirm Ireland has just had it's worst summer since 1986.
    Looks like we weren't overreacting then.

Advertisement