Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Card in US

Options
  • 01-09-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I am travelling to the US next week. I plan on purchasing an item worth approx 2500, can I do so with my visa debit card? Also if it is the case I can purchase with my card would it be cheaper for me to just buy the dollars here before I go?
    What are the transaction charges and limits? Is it cheaper to pay for hotels and restaurants with the card or to withdraw from an atm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi ondarack,

You can make purchases with your Visa Debit up to the value of your available funds. Please note that from time to time authorisation maybe required.

In relation to the second part of your query:
    We wouldn't be able to offer advice on whether you would be better off bringing cash or your debit card with you.

You also asked about the charges that apply when using the card internationally. If you do decide to use your Visa Debit on your trip there are cross border handling fees that will be applied to your account.

If you use the card to withdraw cash, there is a charge of 3.5% of the amount you withdraw with a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum charge of €11.43.

If you use the card at a point of sale, the charge is 1.75% of the transaction. The minimum charge applied depends on whether the transaction is done contactlessly or not. The minimum charge for a contactless transaction is €0.10 and the minimum charge for a non-contactless transaction is €0.46. The maximum point of sale charge is €11.43.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement