Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a cat

• 01-09-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Has anyone adopted a cat from the DSPCA? Is the whole process complicated? It seems like you have to go up twice before you can actually take the cat home. Plus it seems like they don't rehome animals on weekends and I'm working 9 to 5 during the week.

I'm also considering adopting a cat off one of the ads on gumtree/buyandsell/donedeal but it's probably not a good option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd avoid Done deal etc. I've never adopted in Dublin, however Cats aid are in Dublin and I think Cat friends as well. If you have a look on Facebook you'd get more info. Feral Cats Ireland are on Facebook too and there are many cat rescues with tame cats and kittens on there looking for good homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

When I adopted my fluff monsters from them I called up on a few weekends and had a look around. The staff/volunteers in the cat building are very friendly, and obliging about answering questions and opening the doors for you to meet the cats.

It was a Sunday when I fell for my pair, they put a 'reserved' sign on them and I arranged to meet with the adoption staff member Tuesday afternoon.

It was all very relaxed and informal, a chat with me about what my home was like, what vet the cats would be going to and what experience I had with cats. Cats came home with me that day to take up their roles as Rulers of the House.

The health checks that they do on the animals was the main reason I chose the DSPCA, and I also wanted to support the work they do.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 ghfbvc543

I've adopted three kittens from the DSPCA in the past year. If I were you I wouldn't bother going anywhere else. The animals are all extremely well looked after so you're guaranteed to get a healthy cat, whereas on donedeal etc you never really know. Also they worm, vaccinate and microchip the cat before you get it! They don't do adoptions on the weekends but I'm pretty sure you can reserve and then pick it up on a weekday when you're free! They have tons of cats and kittens to choose from. I couldn't recommend the place more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Give up on that idea now.... you don't adopt a cat.

A cat adopts you and allows you feed and shelter it!!! :D

Advertisement