Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living and working in Europe

Options
  • 01-09-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey all,

Looking into moving away soon and although my plan is to head to NZ I am kind of being guilted (:mad:) by family and friends about 'distance'.

I have started in last few weeks looking at job sites like jobs.ie and monster.ie at their European jobs and there seems like a few out there for English speakers. I have 3 years experience in multinational as a business analyst and a few former collegues mentioned about opportunities in Spain, Netherlands, Scandinavia and Germany for English speakers in multinationals.

My heart isnt set on any particular country but I always had a goal to work abroad for 1 year to experience a new culture to live in. I recently returned from a year RTW trip so I guess I have wanderlust and just dont feel my life is in ireland at the moment unfortunately.

So anyone moved to Europe and found work without the local language and can anyone recommend other sites or companies to take a look at?

Cheers - plan is to be out of here in next month btw :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Try Switzerland, most large companies use English as the working language...

Almost every international company will require english speakers. Which means every European country is fair game. I was looking at some jobs this evening, and I noticed AVG in the Czech Republic are looking for a business analyst.

The Monster international site is very useful.
    Cheers - plan is to be out of here in next month btw

European countries tend to move quite slowly with processing applications. It can be very frustrating, but be patient. A month from application to start date would be amazingly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Thanks for replies guys...Im going to concentrate fully on Europe market for time being. NZ didnt feel right...think I was just going for the easy option. Always wanted to learn an new culture and language so Europe seems good option.

I have started to look online and spoken to a few contacts in the multinational I worked for....basically going to network the cr%p out of it.

Hopefully something will crop out...going to give til January anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Batigol309 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Looking into moving away soon and although my plan is to head to NZ I am kind of being guilted (:mad:) by family and friends about 'distance'.

Hate that, the silly thing is that when you go away, family and friends see you as being on some sort of long term holiday and expect you to keep in touch and visit them rather than it being a two way street :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hate that, the silly thing is that when you go away, family and friends see you as being on some sort of long term holiday and expect you to keep in touch and visit them rather than it being a two way street :D

isnt that the truth. My sister went to Germany for 3 months on a college thing and my parents visited her after 6 weeks. Ive been away for 3 years and they visited me once. The number of friends who keep saying "yeah Im thinking of heading out later this year...", and never make it. Meanwhile i have been home 2-3 times a year every year without fail.

We need to get a new couch and were planning on getting a sofa bed, and then I said, F%^k that, who has ever come to stay on it? I'll save my self some money and get a nice comfy couch, and if push comes to shove, i will sleep on it.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

@keithclancy & syklops

Never a truer word spoken :(

I've been away 21 years & the amount of times I've been told "sure we must go over to see you.........." my arse :mad:.

The first 10 years or so I ran all over the place visiting everyone when I went home dragging wife & children with me.

Now when they need something, a language exchange for a cousin, a stopover on the way to "X"......... oh by God they find you quick enough but otherwise....................:cool:

It took my mothers funeral for my wife & children to meet certain (close) family members.

Now when I go home I do just that, I go home. Anyone wants to see me, thats where I'll be.

What sickens me the most is that you are expected to take time off when you do get a visit, bring them 'round, translate & what have you, yet when you head home nobody even takes an afternoon bar very very close friends (I'm lucky to have two:o)
    That said I do it every time, with a smile, God love me:rolleyes:

Outa sight outa mind.

Its true NZ is far, I'm in France & when Mum died it seemed I was light years away,......... so the SH.........can't imagine it.

But don't kid yourself, even in Europe the doorbell won't be ringing that often so do what you think is right for you.

The above sounds terribly bitter, but its not just my opinion, its the feedback I get from all the othet expats around me.

Oh & be aware you'll become a "plastic paddy". Now you personnally won't, but peoples image of you will be just that.
    You're no longer a "real" Irish person because you don't live there/here. & your children?? foreigners!!!! Sure how could they be Irish???

I'll stop there before I get annoyed:confused:

PS: My French wife is in a similar situation having left her home county for 15 years before coming "home".
    She may aswell have stayed away.

4PP wrote: »
    your children?? foreigners!!!! Sure how could they be Irish???

Well I can't say I've ever experienced that, but then both my kids put on a strong Mayo accent once they hit the tarmac at Knock... it also helps that they have a good knowledge of the locality and are interested in GAA. It means they don't stick out so much.

What I do find interesting though is how the kids describe themselves. I first noticed this a while back when we were returning to Switzerland from Italy - my son was a few seats ahead of me on the train and I heard him explain to the Swiss border guards that he was Irish, but he has a Swiss passport as well and all of course in Swiss-German :cool:

My daughter on the other hand, will tell you that she is "Swiss, but Irish as well".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

@keithclancy & syklops

Never a truer word spoken :(

I've been away 21 years & the amount of times I've been told "sure we must go over to see you.........." my arse :mad:.

The first 10 years or so I ran all over the place visiting everyone when I went home dragging wife & children with me.

Now when they need something, a language exchange for a cousin, a stopover on the way to "X"......... oh by God they find you quick enough but otherwise....................:cool:

It took my mothers funeral for my wife & children to meet certain (close) family members.

Now when I go home I do just that, I go home. Anyone wants to see me, thats where I'll be.

What sickens me the most is that you are expected to take time off when you do get a visit, bring them 'round, translate & what have you, yet when you head home nobody even takes an afternoon bar very very close friends (I'm lucky to have two:o)
    That said I do it every time, with a smile, God love me:rolleyes:

Outa sight outa mind.

Its true NZ is far, I'm in France & when Mum died it seemed I was light years away,......... so the SH.........can't imagine it.

But don't kid yourself, even in Europe the doorbell won't be ringing that often so do what you think is right for you.

The above sounds terribly bitter, but its not just my opinion, its the feedback I get from all the othet expats around me.

Oh & be aware you'll become a "plastic paddy". Now you personnally won't, but peoples image of you will be just that.
    You're no longer a "real" Irish person because you don't live there/here. & your children?? foreigners!!!! Sure how could they be Irish???

I'll stop there before I get annoyed:confused:

PS: My French wife is in a similar situation having left her home county for 15 years before coming "home".
    She may aswell have stayed away.

Sums it up perfectly. My dad is coming to visit in a few weeks. Not to visit me oh no, but for a business trip, and of course I can drop everything and go with him to help with taxis and the bit of lingo etc. My parents bought my sister an airline voucher so she could come visit me, despite having three months off from college, she didnt manage to schedule a few days into her busy schedule. I've a friend who has been 'coming' to the Brno GP every year for the last three years, but unfortunately, something else always crops up, "I've to tax the car so can't afford it this month".

Its just as well I read back over the thread, i didnt realise i had already mentioned the couch story. I had just typed it out.

Theres a chance I'll be moving to London in a few months so I expect a lot more blasts from the past looking for a bed for a night "london hotels are so pricey!".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ach, it depends on where you are for visitors.

I've gotten a fair share of visitors over the years in Munich.
    This due to frequent-ish flights (twice a day to dublin and every other day to cork), living in a nice city, the beer, proximity of skiiing etc.

I'd also say there IS a big difference between living in Europe and say new zealand.

I am typing this from work now in Germany, and once I have my 8 hours clocked up I'll be out to the airport for the 8pm flight and will be in Dublin for plenty of time for a few pints downtown.
    I'll be watching the all Ireland on Sunday in Croke Park, and will STILL be back in work in Germany on Monday for a full days work (if I amnt too knackered)

Try getting a weekend in Ireland from new zealand or the likes without needing ANY days holidays!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well I can't say I've ever experienced that, but then both my kids put on a strong Mayo accent once they hit the tarmac at Knock... it also helps that they have a good knowledge of the locality and are interested in GAA. It means they don't stick out so much.

What I do find interesting though is how the kids describe themselves. I first noticed this a while back when we were returning to Switzerland from Italy - my son was a few seats ahead of me on the train and I heard him explain to the Swiss border guards that he was Irish, but he has a Swiss passport as well and all of course in Swiss-German :cool:

My daughter on the other hand, will tell you that she is "Swiss, but Irish as well".

;) Both my lads are "Irish" as far as they (& I ;)) are concerned, particuarilly when it comes to rugby :D

They have mixed up accents, Dublin, Franglais from their mother & a fair dose of Killnascully, Gift Grub & other box sets :P

Leads to some unusual phrases. My father was over during the last Irish presidential elections & the look on his face when one of his grandsons referred to a teacher as being "A bit Norris"!! Priceless!

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Sums it up perfectly. My dad is coming to visit in a few weeks. Not to visit me oh no, but for a business trip, and of course I can drop everything and go with him to help with taxis and the bit of lingo etc. My parents bought my sister an airline voucher so she could come visit me, despite having three months off from college, she didnt manage to schedule a few days into her busy schedule. I've a friend who has been 'coming' to the Brno GP every year for the last three years, but unfortunately, something else always crops up, "I've to tax the car so can't afford it this month".

Its just as well I read back over the thread, i didnt realise i had already mentioned the couch story. I had just typed it out.

Theres a chance I'll be moving to London in a few months so I expect a lot more blasts from the past looking for a bed for a night "london hotels are so pricey!".

Got a brother just like your sister, been "coming" for years.........then phones last night needing a bed & a place to park for 24 hrs while helping a mate. Would love to stay a bit longer but has to get back sharpish so could I look up transport to the airport? (ie; bring him to the planes door!) oh & he'll definitely be back for a longer stay.....spend some time with his godson....definitely :cool:

Leads to some unusual phrases. My father was over during the last Irish presidential elections & the look on his face when one of his grandsons referred to a teacher as being "A bit Norris"!! Priceless!
    Custard and mustard causes a bit of stir with my two the first time - they were not sure why granny expected them to eat mustard and jelly!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Custard and mustard causes a bit of stir with my two the first time - they were not sure why granny expected them to eat mustard and jelly!
    Custard & jelly?? Yuck!!!! must be a Mayo thing :D

No wonder Enda looks like that :p

(Hot) Apple or Rhubard & custard down my way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

syklops wrote: »
    isnt that the truth. My sister went to Germany for 3 months on a college thing and my parents visited her after 6 weeks. Ive been away for 3 years and they visited me once. The number of friends who keep saying "yeah Im thinking of heading out later this year...", and never make it. Meanwhile i have been home 2-3 times a year every year without fail.

We need to get a new couch and were planning on getting a sofa bed, and then I said, F%^k that, who has ever come to stay on it? I'll save my self some money and get a nice comfy couch, and if push comes to shove, i will sleep on it.

Rant over.

Indeed, when we go back now, we go for a Holiday and don't tell anyone were coming.

If people find out you were say 60 miles away they get odd about you not calling in to see them.

Although the same people can be flying into an Airport 10 minutes up the road from you and not even bother dropping you a text, unless of course they're looking for a place to stay for a few days on the cheap (free)

:rolleyes:

It's not that I don't mind seeing them, it's just sometimes it would be nice if people came to visit us rather than visit the Country ;)
    ach, it depends on where you are for visitors.

I've gotten a fair share of visitors over the years in Munich.
    This due to frequent-ish flights (twice a day to dublin and every other day to cork), living in a nice city, the beer, proximity of skiiing etc.

Any chance of a bed for Octoberfest :D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Agree with everyone above.
    The expectations are really that yes, you're on "holiday" and you're expected to visit everyone else when you take a trip back. Is it an Irish thing?

I suspect if I had chosen to move to an exotic beach front location I would have had more visits by now.

Advertisement