Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Upgrade.

Options
  • 01-09-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if any of you guys could take a look at these items I'm looking to purchase to upgrade my PC.

Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion
    Intel Core i5-660
    Asus P9X79 S2011 Intel X79 DDR3 ATX
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560

I'm useless at knowing what would be compatible and what wouldn't, especially when it comes to the likes of Ram.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if any of you guys could take a look at these items I'm looking to purchase to upgrade my PC.

Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion
    Intel Core i5-660
    Asus P9X79 S2011 Intel X79 DDR3 ATX
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560

I'm useless at knowing what would be compatible and what wouldn't, especially when it comes to the likes of Ram.

Any opinions?

I would't go near any of those; the CPU and motherboard aren't compatible, and the GPU is pants.

Not to mention that the i5 you mentioned is two years old, and that motherboard is for extremely high end i7 processors.

What's your budget, and intended use?

Also, what's your monitor resolution and PSU model? And are you running 64-bit Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'm looking at going second hand at the moment, dabs.ie and the like so budget wouldn't be too high right now.

Core2duo@2.4ghz
    4GB ram
    Radeon HD 4800
    MSI P35 Platinum
    Creative X-FI Fatality (Which is experiencing High pitched noise I could never resolve, so using on board sound)

Using it for gaming. Running Windows 7 32bit

I'm not at home at the moment so i'm not sure exactly of the monitor resolution.

I'm looking at going second hand at the moment, dabs.ie and the like so budget wouldn't be too high right now.

Core2duo@2.4ghz
    4GB ram
    Radeon HD 4800
    MSI P35 Platinum
    Creative X-FI Fatality (Which is experiencing High pitched noise I could never resolve, so using on board sound)

Using it for gaming. Running Windows 7 32bit

I'm not at home at the moment so i'm not sure exactly of the monitor resolution.
    Would you be willing to overclock?

Also, would you mind giving me a guide cost? When people say low budget it can mean anywhere between €100 to €700.

Eboggles wrote: »
    Would you be willing to overclock?

Also, would you mind giving me a guide cost? When people say low budget it can mean anywhere between €100 to €700.

I'd prefer not overclock as I wouldn't be too familiar with it but if needs be I can always read up on it :)

I'm looking to hit around 800/1000 in the next 2/3 months, so If i got a rough price for stuff on the market within that price range now that'd be great!

Thanks for the help!

I'd prefer not overclock as I wouldn't be too familiar with it but if needs be I can always read up on it :)

I'm looking to hit around 800/1000 in the next 2/3 months, so If i got a rough price for stuff on the market within that price range now that'd be great!

Thanks for the help!

€800/€1000 can get you very far nowadays in the PC world, you're in luck :D.

So...

Do you want to just upgrade your core components (CPU, Motherboard etc.) or do you want a whole new desktop?

• Advertisement

They keyboard, mouse and monitor I have at the moment suits me perfectly fine. It's mainly just my core components excluding say the HDs. I have a fairly big coolermaster case which is grand also.

They keyboard, mouse and monitor I have at the moment suits me perfectly fine. It's mainly just my core components excluding say the HDs. I have a fairly big coolermaster case which is grand also.

Any idea on PSU model/wattage?

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€177.07
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€71.39
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.61
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€67.08
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€296.46
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€665.60

That's just CPU, motherboard, RAM, SSD and GPU. If you want to throw in anything else just ask.

I'd personally update your case as I'm not a fan of the older coolermaster cases, but it's not actually important.

What would you recommend for a new sound card? Samsung SSD, is that an external HD/storage? I'd be able to get the exact CPU model and wattage later.

Please excuse my ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You don't need a sound card unless you are fussy about your sound.

SSD = Solid State Drive. Fast drives with near instant access (i.e., any small file will open instantly). Downside is that they're expensive in comparison to harddrives.

I'm currently using on board sound which is actually working out pretty fine now that I think about it.

Oh cool, I've never actually used one before. Just been sticking with normal hard drives.

• Advertisement

What would you recommend for a new sound card? Samsung SSD, is that an external HD/storage?

Please excuse my ignorance!

You've never heard of SSDs? This is going to be good :D

An SSD (In layman's terms) is like a really really really really fast HDD. We're talking seconds for Windows 7 to boot up onto your desktop, and your web browser opening instantly. Due to the smaller capacity, you only install Windows, your most used programs and maybe a game or two. All your other media (music, movies) goes on your HDD which you already own.

TBH motherboard internal sound cards have come along so much in the last while that I wouldn't even bother recommending a sound card unless you have a kick-ass surround sound setup.

Eboggles wrote: »
    You've never heard of SSDs? This is going to be good :D

An SSD (In layman's terms) is like a really really really really fast HDD. We're talking seconds for Windows 7 to boot up onto your desktop, and your web browser opening instantly. Due to the smaller capacity, you only install Windows, your most used programs and maybe a game or two. All your other media (music, movies) goes on your HDD which you already own.

TBH motherboard internal sound cards have come along so much in the last while that I wouldn't even bother recommending a sound card unless you have a kick-ass surround sound setup.

Oh, wow! I will get myself one of those either way!

Haha, sadly I do not have a kick-ass surround sound system... yet >_>

The sites you listed above there. Would they be the best possibly prices save going second hand?

Oh, wow! I will get myself one of those either way!

Haha, sadly I do not have a kick-ass surround sound system... yet >_>

The sites you listed above there. Would they be the best possibly prices save going second hand?

Yup, they're the best prices you're going to get.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back if I have any more questions!

Cheers :)

Thanks for the help. I'll report back if I have any more questions!

Cheers :)

No problem, let us know how you get on! :)

Advertisement