Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best tree to plant

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What is your motivation in planting them? Are you looking at putting them in a hedge or are looking to plant an acre of trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Just looking for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

OP: is this a 'Farming' question, a 'Forestry' one, or is it more of a subject for the Gardening forum?

Let me know and I'll move it for you.

Ya move it to the garden forum. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

F&F mod: thread moved to Gardening forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How much space have you, and what kind of soil.

A copper beech grows slowly, but will end up ginormous. Its reasonably easy though and isn't fussy about soil. A Red Oak is not native (well nor is copper beech as it is cultivated, but Red Oak is even less native) might be a bit fussier about conditions but isn't quite as big. Could still get big enough - 30 to 70 feet.

Both have wide canopies which are very attractive but need a lot of space, and you may not be able to grow a whole lot under them as it will be shaded

2012-09-01-200.jpg

This is the size area I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

red oak would be lovely there but make sure to give it a bit of space away from the others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cena wrote: »
    2012-09-01-200.jpg

This is the size area I have.

Who actually owns that land though?

If its not yours,then you cant just go and plant on it.

You would need the developers or the CCs permission 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Gorilla planting ;)

• Advertisement

developer is my landlord. He doesn't mind it going in. Its a private estate

Who would you ask in the cc about planting a tree

I also want to see it from the front of the house

developer is my landlord. He doesn't mind it going in. Its a private estate

Who would you ask in the cc about planting a tree

I also want to see it from the front of the house

Do your neighbours know??

In years to come,you could be fcuking up their sunlight and natural light and be creating shade on their property.;):pac:

paddy147 wrote: »
    Do your neighbours know??

In years to come,you could be fcuking up their sunlight and natural light and be creating shade on their property.;):pac:

I have said it to one neighbour that is on the tidy towns thing.

I doubt it mess up the sun light. I'll ask the neighbour next time I see him on what he thinks. He is very good at the wood work.

Most of the neighbours would be happy to see a tree like this I think

An average estate house is approximately 7 - 8m high. The tree you are talking about would be higher than a house, and possibly as much again.
    A large tree with rounded crown of stout, spreading branches, growing to a height of 18 - 27 m
    http://www.borealforest.org/world/trees/northern_red_oak.htm

If you look at the pictures of these trees you can see they are nearly as wide as they are high. A tree that size would completely swamp the area you are talking about.

looksee wrote: »
    An average estate house is approximately 7 - 8m high. The tree you are talking about would be higher than a house, and possibly as much again.
    http://www.borealforest.org/world/trees/northern_red_oak.htm

If you look at the pictures of these trees you can see they are nearly as wide as they are high. A tree that size would completely swamp the area you are talking about.

I know how big they can get. I have seen them in new york

Ok so.

looksee wrote: »
    Ok so.

I wasn't been rude. Sorry if i came out like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cena, there are already trees planted in that area. What are they and how large will they get?

The oak and beech are far too large for that area in my opinion. They will dwarf the houses, and without other trees of similar size nearby, in a couple of decades you will have people worried about branches coming down on top of them in storms. They will butcher the trees by hacking away themselves without a tree surgeon, and it will eventually get cut down leaving a large rotting stump in the middle of the green.

I would choose some thing smaller, or give the ones there a chance to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I doubt it mess up the sun light. I'll ask the neighbour next time I see him on what he thinks. He is very good at the wood work.

Most of the neighbours would be happy to see a tree like this I think

A tree that big will block light no doubt about it. You "think" your neighbors would be happy ? You would really want to go around and ask each one in person and tell them the size it could grow to.

Looks like two mountain ash and possibly a birch to the right, they are plenty big and manageable for that site, plant similar sized trees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I wasn't been rude. Sorry if i came out like that
    from reading the thread though, it's not clear whether you posed the title of the thread as a question or a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

If you are trying to achieve autumn colour similar to pic, it wont be as good.
    Brilliant autumn colour is a result of certain climatic conditions. Cool nights and long days of sunlight in autumn. These conditions are best in new england area of usa thats why you get great displays of colour from the forests of oak, cherry, birch etc there.

rje66 wrote: »
    If you are trying to achieve autumn colour similar to pic, it wont be as good.
    Brilliant autumn colour is a result of certain climatic conditions. Cool nights and long days of sunlight in autumn. These conditions are best in new england area of usa thats why you get great displays of colour from the forests of oak, cherry, birch etc there.

There is a woods 1/4 of a mile behide the house.

All the above is the reason I want to plant this tree.

There is a grass area to the right when you come in.

What smaller tree you ye say I should plant

You seem a tad fixated on New York and also on planting a tree there on that piece of land.

You do know that you can cause a serious argeument and rift with neighbours and with houses on "both sides" of that land,by planting large trees like these,and blocking future sunlight/daylight to their gardens and property.

That land isnt actually yours,so everyone has to be thought of here,and not just your own self.

That land would be classed as "community land",as in its there for everyone in the estate.

I dont think you have put any thought into this at all.

Sorry,but this has to be said to you.

PS-Im not being rude either,I just feel that these points have to be made very clear to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

What smaller tree you ye say I should plant[/Quote]

Smaller trees for a bit ot autumn colour
    Sorbus commixata is best, but others S. Aucuparia , and of course betula pendula(birch)

paddy147 wrote: »
    You seem a tad fixated on New York and also on planting a tree there on that piece of land.

You do know that you can cause a serious argeument and rift with neighbours and with houses on "both sides" of that land,by planting large trees like these,and blocking future sunlight/daylight to their gardens and property.

That land isnt actually yours,so everyone has to be thought of here,and not just your own self.

That land would be classed as "community land",as in its there for everyone in the estate.

I dont think you have put any thought into this at all.

Sorry,but this has to be said to you.

PS-Im not being rude either,I just feel that these points have to be made very clear to you.

You are so right on the new york part. I'm just looking for somthing different that is not really seen in Ireland. Ya I see it as a community land as we all take care of cutting the grass around the area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Why don't you go for an evergreen instead, something that will have year round foliage. By the look of the others they are all deciduous. Also, both of the trees you have chosen will (eventually) drop a lot of leaves, leaves are a pain in the rear on a lawn.

I prefer the red oak, for what it's worth, but agree it's too big for the space you have.

If you planted a fir type tree you could all put Christmas lights on it, that would be a nice community type feature that should be easy to sell to the neighbours.

A blue cedar would be lovely on the left, I think they are slow growing though.

Why don't you go for an evergreen instead, something that will have year round foliage. By the look of the others they are all deciduous. Also, both of the trees you have chosen will (eventually) drop a lot of leaves, leaves are a pain in the rear on a lawn.

I prefer the red oak, for what it's worth, but agree it's too big for the space you have.

If you planted a fir type tree you could all put Christmas lights on it, that would be a nice community type feature that should be easy to sell to the neighbours.

A blue cedar would be lovely on the left, I think they are slow growing though.

The is somthing I could do.

Not into the blue cedar at all.

I wonder if I went to Coillte and asked if I could donate the red oak tree in memory of my father that use to work in there cutting the trees. There is this big open area were coillte and put a picnic table. I could go fairly far away from the table . It is just a thought.

Advertisement