Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help ASAP with widows server 2003

Options
  • 01-09-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's wrong forum, but you lads are the best.

I got a windows 2003 here. It just keeps loading on 2003 logo. There are 3 hhds in raid here and one of then is marked as unknown. I need to try to get a scan up or something.
    Of I reset raid will everything be gone on hdds? Any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What kind of RAID?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Raid1 (mirror)set. 3 hdds two hdds are market okay, but one is set as unknown disc.
    I can't get the safe mode with command prompt to try to scan it. It sees that disc in bios.

The status of whole raid is "verify" in yellow.

So I checked. All 3 hdds are just copies of basically. Can I somehow disconnect one hdd and get system back up. Its at my work ( hotel ) and they need system ASAP and got my on my day off because I a the only one who knows pcs a wee bit ( I am chef lol )

Or do I physically find whic one hdd it is and disconnect it?

Could the HDD causing errors just be replaced then and the RAID rebuilt?

Only thing that comes to mind is to try and make sure that connections are secure. Maybe swap in a different cable.

Is there anything in the basic RAID software to run a verification check, if that's what's being suggested.

Edit: Yeah, you could try disconnecting it. It might look for a third one though. Given that you have still another mirror, you still have some backup unless it was a surge that could eat up the other drives as well. I'd get a replacement drive in there as soon as possible. You should be able to run from a single drive unless the RAID software makes a fuss.

It does not even boot up. It's just keeps on loading screen for ages and never loads up.

Raid 1 is just 3 indentical hdds. What if I reset that one hdd? Still 2 of them got same data? Then get it back in to raid after windows load up?

• Advertisement

But you shouldn't need to boot up if they've done hardware RAID (dedicated card/motherboard). There should be a RAID menu somewhere before you hit windows.

You mean raid menu as ctrl-I and you get options. Delete valome, reset etc?

Sow your edit now:

And yes, there was a power surge. Monitors gone etc. everything is working, but not that hdd. It is still warm when I touched it.

2 other hdds look fine, but why does it not load up. I'll try physically disconnecting that hdd.

If I delete it out of raid, there are still 2 more? Right?

Yeah, have a look to see if there's any options for checking the condition of the system. To run a check on the drives.

Also check to see if you can drop a drive from it without deleting the existing RAID. You could probably delete the RAID and just boot off the single hard drive, but don't do that as you'll have no redundancy then.

Edit: A warm HDD doesn't mean it's working. You could have the discs spinning away but the circuit board could be fried.

Right. I disconnected Sara from the hdd and it goes in to logo of windows 2003 server. The bar is moving, but nothing is happening for ages.

Does it take servers long to boot up, or....

• Advertisement

Well I've seen computers that have taken over a solid 5 minutes to boot up, so give it a chance.

It could be still looking for that third drive though.

Hmmm. Well it's still on loading screen. I can't get it up running in safe mode too.

That is the thing. Screen shows that bar running, but I don't know if there is any progress.

Right. I waited and now it is on a screen where it says:

One of your discs needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel, but it's recommended to keep it.

It's on 2 of 3 stages. Hopefullyit is doing a check up. No bars etc, so I have no idea of it is still live...

Is that with 2 or 3 HDDs connected?

2 connected, it went to stage 3 and it is still live.

It is now verifying Usn journal. Takes fecking ages.
    I already told them to buy same hdd (. Presume it will be hard to get and expensive ) to replace that one. As from what I read it is just plug and play swap if hdd dies.

If it will start up and run long enough all weekend, then it will be great. They will get someone who knows networks to sort it out properly Monday.

Given that it's Windows Server 2003, I could expect it to be fairly slow alright since it there wasn't much automatic defragmentation at the time.
    It could take a couple of hours if it checks through all the data. But a few checksums or something shouldn't take too long, maybe 20 minutes with a large drive.

You wouldn't necessarily have to get the same drive. It's usually a good idea, but say if you were in a situation where the old drive was harder to find and drive technology has come a good way, you could use a faster or a bigger hard drive and the RAID technology should be able to compensate by assigning a smaller partition and telling the fast drive to wait for the slower ones.
    You could replace all the drives easily enough which could be a good idea if they were power hungry, hot drives.

Well I left it On that scan and told them to keep an eye on it. If it will complete and boot up, them you are in business. If not, then I fec all use to it

I read up those can take for hours, I want to enjoy my day off for now.

Mono, I own you a pint man.

Sorry, I only accept Krugerrands! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just to second mono here, I would actually recommend getting a newer hdd. they've made fairly large leaps forward in error collection etc in the last 10 years.

just wouldn't go for 2+Tb HDDs, as the different Allocation Unit Sizes could annoy the raid array perhaps?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I was going to mention as well that the shift in sector size of new drives could cause some difficulty with XP (and probably 2003 Server as a result) unless you had some driver or patch.

Edit: Er... which I think is what you were saying. I'll have to research HDD basics a bit more. I think it affects all new drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what type of chef are you? I'm hungry.

i got a phone call later on and after a good while it sorted. all boooted up and now running. my boss was very happy with me lol! cheers for hrlp mono! its always better to have 2 heads on a problem.

to answer your question: i am a pastry chef/baker! ;)

Advertisement