Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Arsenal 02.09.12 (13:30 KO) Sky Sports 1

• 01-09-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

t6QOD.jpg

Nuri Sahin is set to make his Liverpool debut in the heart of midfield after Lucas (thigh) was ruled out for up to three months after hobbling off in the opening stages of the 2-2 draw with Manchester City.
    Daniel Agger is likely to return from suspension to replace Sebastian Coates in defence but youngster Raheem Sterling is poised to make another start having impressed against Roberto Mancini's side last time out.

For Arsenal, Vito Mannone could continue to deputise in goal with Wojciech Szczesny and Lukas Fabianski both still struggling for match fitness.

Bacary Sagna's long-term leg injury means Carl Jenkinson will again step in at right-back, with the France defender set to return to training after the upcoming international break. Fellow international team-mate Laurent Koscielny (calf) faces a late fitness test.

The continuing transfer speculation surrounding Theo Walcott could mean that Gervinho will again feature from the start, in support of Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski, while Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain should appear from the bench.

Jack Wilshere (ankle), Emmanuel Frimpong (knee) and Tomas Rosicky (thigh) all remain long-term absentees.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
    Liverpool have won just one of the last 10 league meetings between the two sides, although six of those ended in draws (W1, D6, L3).
    The Reds are one short of 250 league goals against the Gunners.
    The last seven league encounters have produced seven goals scored in the 90th minute or later.
    Liverpool
    The Reds have won one of their last six league games at Anfield (W1, D2, L3), with their only victory coming against Chelsea.
    The last time Liverpool failed to win at least one of their opening three Premier League games was in 2003.
    If they lose on Sunday it will be their worst start to a league season since the 1962-63 campaign, when they took one point from their first three games.
    Arsenal
    The Gunners are only the third team to begin a Premier League season with back-to-back goalless draws.
    The other two sides (Chelsea in 1995-96 and Derby in 1998-99) both scored in their third outing, so Arsenal will make Premier League history if they are involved in another stalemate.
    The last time the Gunners drew three successive league games 0-0 was between January and February 2009, when they were involved in four successive goalless draws.
    Arsene Wenger's side have drawn five of their last six league games (W1, D5).
    Arsenal have allowed the opposition just 10 shots at goal so far this season, fewer than any other Premier League side.

Liverpool From:
    Provisional squad: Reina, Kelly, Flanagan, Enrique, Johnson, Skrtel, Coates, Robinson, Carragher, Agger, Gerrard, Downing, Shelvey, Henderson, Allen, Sahin, Cole, Suarez, Sterling, Borini, Morgan, Jones.

Arsenal From:
    Provisional Squad: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Diaby, Cazorla, Walcott, Arteta, Podolski, Gervinho, Fabianski, Arshavin, Ramsey, Giroud, Santos, Djourou, Coquelin

PROBABLE TEAMS :

m38y2.jpg

* Sahin will be our saviour :P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Nicely done post but you've left Sahin out of the squad list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Yawns wrote: »
    Nicely done post but you've left Sahin out of the squad list.

Fixed :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Arsenal stike force to will start to gel today and score a few! One for Giroud and Podolski each! 2-1 to the gunners over all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

jonny666 wrote: »
    Arsenal stike force to will start to gel today and score a few! One for Giroud and Podolski each! 2-1 to the gunners over all!

That's good for them but the match is tomorrow :D
    (I would class a few to be more than 2 ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

One goal should be enough to win this.

Watch Arsenal actually score now.

3-0 Liverpool, Andy Carroll hat-trick.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

2-1, Nuri with the winner from a free kick in the 99th minute. This after Arsenal score a penalty a minute beforehand believing they have grabbed a point. Ta.

Oh, and 2-0 on the woodwork count to us as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

That's good for them but the match is tomorrow :D
    (I would class a few to be more than 2 ;) )

haha my bad. Tomorrow.

Is a few more then 2? Grand. 3-1 Arsenal:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

As a Liverpool fan am happy with that team - comparing the first XI's on a player for player basis we seem stronger in every position...on paper. Concerns obviously regarding our strength in depth for the front 3, Borinis ability to be prolific & get the goals, and Reinas current form. Hopefully if Sahin settles early we can control central midfield and that will be the platform for what would be an important & morale-boosting victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Will Arsenal finally score a goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Seamu$ wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan am happy with that team - comparing the first XI's on a player for player basis we seem stronger in every position...on paper. Concerns obviously regarding our strength in depth for the front 3, Borinis ability to be prolific & get the goals, and Reinas current form. Hopefully if Sahin settles early we can control central midfield and that will be the platform for what would be an important & morale-boosting victory.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Can't wait to see Sahin. Will he start tomorrow I wonder?
    I think Liverpool will win this, one goal will decide it either way.

Yakult wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Sahin. Will he start tomorrow I wonder?
    I think Liverpool will win this, one goal will decide it either way.
    I think Sahin will be a huge player in these big games. Infact, I think he will get his first assist tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

AdamD wrote: »
    lol

Was thinking that might get a lol alright :D

But seriously, of the teams posted, which Arsenal player is better than the Liverpool player in the same position? Cazorla is playing well but is matched up with Gerrard who is going well also. Gibbs maybe > Enrique, Giroud similar to Borini in that neither has started well. That's about it!

Giroud similar to Borini in that neither has started well.
    Borini has started fine :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Small matter of Mayo trying to make an AI final so ill miss most of the game tomorrow but am expecting us dominate Arsenal in midfield so lets hope that Suarez will push on from the winner midweek. 2-1 Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'd say Kos will start ahead of Mert. Much better for dealing with the likes of Suarez.

But seriously, of the teams posted, which Arsenal player is better than the Liverpool player in the same position? Cazorla is playing well but is matched up with Gerrard who is going well also. Gibbs maybe > Enrique, Giroud similar to Borini in that neither has started well. That's about it!

Think you're missing the obvious one :p, Podolski and Sterling. I would have Giroud over Borini and Cazorla over Gerrard, plenty of others are at least on par like Arteta and Vermaelen. Would easily have Scszeny over Reina if hes fit too. All very subjective though but I think its hard to justify saying one side is better in every position.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I think Sahin will be a huge player in these big games. Infact, I think he will get his first assist tomorrow.

Lol I was gonna go with Suarez to score and Sahin to assist, but not sure on whether he's starting tomorrow. Big game for him if he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the papers will have a field day if either team loses this

EDIT: and some fans as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

0-0 bore leaving both sets of fans disgruntled blaming the powers that be for transfer window follies.

Just on this point; Gerrard was one of the worst players on the pitch vs WBA so I wouldn't quite say he's going that well.

Anyway, these things are all subjective. As the Boss said himself; we all think we have the prettiest wife at home. ;)

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    0-0 bore leaving both sets of fans disgruntled blaming the powers that be for transfer window follies.

Just on this point; Gerrard was one of the worst players on the pitch vs WBA so I wouldn't quite say he's going that well.

Anyway, these things are all subjective. As the Boss said himself; we all think we have the prettiest wife at home. ;)

Gerrard was excellent v City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Judging by the pics of training today i expect the team to be,

Pepe, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Robinson, Sahin, Allen, Gerrard, Suarez, Shelvey, Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Small matter of Mayo trying to make an AI final so ill miss most of the game tomorrow but am expecting us dominate Arsenal in midfield so lets hope that Suarez will push on from the winner midweek. 2-1 Liverpool

The very best of luck to Mayo tomorrow. Hope to see you In the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Arsenal to score their first...and concede their first. 1-1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im very confident about tomorrow, 3-1 to Liverpool with Borini shutting up the idiots who are already slating him by grabbing a brace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Cant wait for tomorrow, a little anxious but fully confident in an Arsenal win.

2-0 Podolski, Walcott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Just to spice things up Sahin and Podolski have a bit of history.

Hoping for Liverpool win but i have learned not to get my hopes up anymore with them.

Oh id love to see him celebrate like that tomorrow but in front of Wenger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The Arsenal pre-season finished with the game against Stoke so I'm hoping Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud really click tomorrow and put the Liverpool defence under severe pressure. A Diaby header would be nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Heading over to this for my first game of the season. Hopefully a better result than the corresponding game last season that left most of the crowd stunned at the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

5starpool wrote: »
    Heading over to this for my first game of the season. Hopefully a better result than the corresponding game last season that left most of the crowd stunned at the finish.

yes it was a stunning finish ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Oxlade Chamerblain is set to start in this apparently. Szczeseny is still out which is a little worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I hope we get to see Sahin tomorrow and I hope he tears Arsenal a new one . I wonder will we see Stevie play on the right hand side of a front three tomorrow .
    I would like to see him play there so he can have a run at the Arsenal defense .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Always fancy Arsenal's chances against Liverpool, home or away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Draw :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Big day tomorrow for Arsenal and Arsene - a win and he's a genius - a draw and it's not too bad - lose and we should have strengthened - if Sahin scores or is MOM :o ... think it's a draw ... still think the team needs to gel ... if Liverpool do a job on Cazorla then it could be a long afternoon ...

ugsparky wrote: »
    Big day tomorrow for Arsenal and Arsene - a win and he's a genius - a draw and it's not too bad - lose and we should have strengthened - if Sahin scores or is MOM :o ... think it's a draw ... still think the team needs to gel ... if Liverpool do a job on Cazorla then it could be a long afternoon ...

I dont think any of our midfielders are suited to nullifiying Cazorla, Lucas will be a big loss when it comes to things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It's going to be 3 goals to 1 but I cant decide for who.

Leiva wrote: »
    It's going to be 3 goals to 1 but I cant decide for who.

I think the movement of Suarez, Borini and A.N.Other will be too much for Arsenals defence. Is Mertesacker playing? I hope so :D

Melion wrote: »
    I think the movement of Suarez, Borini and A.N.Other will be too much for Arsenals defence. Is Mertesacker playing? I hope so :D

Too much movement for Mr. Mertesacker, but not for Mr Woodwork :cool:

Think I'm right in saying Liverpool haven't scored from open play yet?

0-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can't wait to see Sahin in action in the EPL........even if it is with Liverpool :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

1-1, Suarez and Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

But have you considered the movement of Arteta, Carzola and Diaby and the effect on Liverpool's defence? Would Reina be in goal for liverpool? I know so :D

KINGVictor wrote: »
    But have you considered the movement of Arteta, Carzola and Diaby and the effect on Liverpool's defence? Would Reina be in goal for liverpool? I know so :D

Well considering our defenders dont have the turning speed of a barge i think we'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Liverpool to win 3-0, Borini, Suarez x2

....and Sterling to make a show of Jenkinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Oh id love to see him celebrate like that tomorrow but in front of Wenger :D

sahin's dying to meet wenger i'd say & get him to confirm his approval of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Think Liverpool will win this tomorrow.

Good game I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

leggit wrote: »
    Liverpool to win 3-0, Borini, Suarez x2

....and Sterling to make a show of Jenkinson

:D Why not make it 4-0 with Sahin chipping one in as well?? Its Arsenal you are playing and not West Brom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Looking forward to tomorrow Liverpool are bound to at least play against us not have 8 men behind the ball at all times like the first 2 games. Giroud to get his first goal for us tomorrow, and Cazorla too. 2 or 3 - 1 to Arsenal, without much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

3-1 to Arsenal Diaby always does well against the pool can see Podolski grabbing a goal too and walcott to come on and get the 3rd when pool are chasing

• Advertisement
Advertisement