Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Communications not enough?

Options
  • 01-09-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey, I figured I'd ask a question here before going about it myself and hunting down students to talk to them :)

My query is this: I love media and I'm certain to go into television as a career.
    I'm doing the Leaving this year (2013 LC) and I've been aiming for the course for a few years now.

I've been editing for years and years - Using CS5 (After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere Pro), FCP (Which I believe is used in the course) and recently I've been getting into 3D stuff like Blender and Maya.
    I've been recording stuff for years too. I've filmed for Philip DeFranco during his Dublin trip, I've done sponsorship videos for skateboarders (http://www.youtube.com/user/longboardworks) and did the graphic work for a Longboard Europe app on the Android store.. as well as that though, my parents work in media. They've been in the industry in a slew of countries and have made it their business to get me experience.

I've filmed countless times for shows, I've done graphics (Title sequences, straps etc.), I've met people whom wouldn't have met me otherwise, I've done promos for various shows too. I shan't name names here, I don't want to seem supercilious!

Anyway, I could go on an on but I'm not here to talk about that in particular - please don't think I'm bragging! It's on topic don't worry :)
    I've been told by people working in TV that I needn't do Communications or a film course in the first place :confused:
    They say I should take a course that'll look good but won't mean much, since I have and can gain as much experience as I need. They say English in Trinity or something along the lines of that would suit me better.
    Some of these people are from America now, where a BA film course isn't as highly regarded as an English course in a known college.

So here's my question: Is it worth it?

I wrote so much so that people could gather my situation better - I really just want a verdict before I start studying like mad for the LC. If I need 500+ points for my first choice then I'd like to know that asap! If I came on here and said "I have lots of experience, should I bother?" then people would be coming back with vague answers like "College is what you make of it" and stuff.

I'm still planning on taking the course, but if anybody has any experience with it and may think it really is only there to introduce people to media (MY FEAR!!) then please let me know :D

Oh and I hope everybody doing it enjoys it, especially to the 1st years!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

As far as I know communications doesn't even touch after effects or any 3D programs, the course you want to be looking at is Multimedia. I just graduated from it.
    Its a very broad course but like you said, you get out of it what you put into it. Communications is much more general with modules like Media Law, and other theory, Multimedia is much more heavy on the technical side and gives you more of a chance to show off your skills in my opinion.

The course is usefull, for example some people in my class already were getting jobs as a mini production company. If you want to get a job in these areas your much better off doing a course than something like english. You'll have resources like equipment and like minded people to help you out, One man production teams just don't offer what you need to show your skills, also the assignments you get can be a great chance to show off your skills and build up a portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

Crap, I should have clarified that while I love editing and understanding the technical side of things - I'm mainly looking to get into the business and/or directing side of things. I'd love to be able to direct something and know exactly what everybody is talking about :)

Too many times have I heard people in charge not knowing what camera men are saying, what editors mean by this that and the other. I'd hate to be ignorant to people working on a show! It's easy for a producer/director to belt orders at somebody but I'm sure if they knew what exactly their orders entailed they'd change their view on things.

So yeah, I've looked into multimedia and decided against it. I'm more than familiar with a lot of things, but not things like script writing or even law for example.

Thanks again for your reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Ok, long as you've looked into it. I mean done all sorts of jobs over my course, including directing two short pieces with actors we found online. We did study screen writing too. Its not just the tech background people with no power on set.
    (sometimes a lot of rivalry emerges between communications and Multimedia, so sorry if Im still being pushy, its engrained into me)

Advertisement