Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Rig

Options
  • 01-09-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1000 - 1200]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [NO]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [NO]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [NO]

8. How can you pay? B]Credit Card[/B

9. When are you purchasing? [NOW]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? []

I'm looking to replace my existing gaming rig - can spend at the very most 1200 but closer to a grand would be better.

Mainly used for gaming - don't need much more than a few games installed on it - no huge collection of music/movies or anything. As a general principle I'm looking for rock solid dependability as the primary factor - I just want to put it all together and use it - I have no interest in playing with bios settings/tweaking etc.

So what I'd like is:
    - SSD drive (OS plus a game or 2) + 1Tb drive will be ample.
    - nVidia graphics would be preferred.
    - Not interested in Overclocking
    - looking for stability and quality of components mainly
    - plain DVD reader drive

The other major thing is no matter how good and cheap hardwarevesand are - I must pay with credit card - I would prefer to get everything as a single delivery from one vendor though I'm open to getting the case seperately.

I haven't stayed in touch much with PC hardware - I'm kind of looking to get good "value" in the mobo/processor/gpu - I'm not so much interested in paying hundreds of extra euro an extra few percent in performance - I'm looking for whatever the current sweet spot is in terms of value/performance for graphics and processors.

Can anyone recommend me a build based on that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Hardwareversand take credit card...

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€177.07
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€71.39
    8GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-17066U CL11-11-11-31|€53.43
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual Fan, 3GB GDDR5|€411.59
    be quiet! PURE POWER CM BQT L8-CM-630W|€77.27
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€99.74
    Seagate Barracuda Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB SATA II|€72.98
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.54
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R White, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€99.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1099.00

At €400 the HD7970 is a better card than the GTX 670, especially with the Dual-X cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I can't find a Credit card option on that site so I guess it's out for me. Also that graphics card isn't stocked (nor is there a delivery date).

I know folks here are fond of h/wversand but who else is recommended? - komplett seem to have fallen from grace. I'm really looking for a complete set of good value components, "in stock" at a single supplier who takes cc that I can just swish into an order and buy, without worrying too much that the mobo/ram/cpu will all work together and I've gotten a reasonable deal price/performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

pH wrote: »
    I can't find a Credit card option on that site so I guess it's out for me. Also that graphics card isn't stocked (nor is there a delivery date).

I know folks here are fond of h/wversand but who else is recommended? - komplett seem to have fallen from grace. I'm really looking for a complete set of good value components, "in stock" at a single supplier who takes cc that I can just swish into an order and buy, without worrying too much that the mobo/ram/cpu will all work together and I've gotten a reasonable deal price/performance wise.

Hwvs do Paypal but paypal will slug you 3% xtra...
    You can set up a pay pal account with your C/Card..

Even paying the xtra 3% paypal charge would be cheaper than searching for another supplier..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Why must you pay by credit card? I was very reluctant to pay by bank transfer too but, I did it last week for the first time with hardwarevesand. I just went into my bank with the info and they set it up. It took only5 mins and once hardwarevesand got the transfer it took 4 days for them to delievery it. If your buying the whole PC in one go hardwarevesand is the place to buy it.

dwighet wrote: »
    Hwvs do Paypal but paypal will slug you 3% xtra...
    You can set up a pay pal account with your C/Card..

Even paying the xtra 3% paypal charge would be cheaper than searching for another supplier..

Well not for me - I set up an a/c and the only option I have is bank transfer.

I appreciate that this place is the best thing since sliced bread - but I really need a place that I can pay with a credit card - can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Try scan.co.uk

Had a look at scan.co.uk - buils is coming in at 880 (about 1,100 euro)

the range of instock intel processors seemed tiny - they had the K ones but little else. also the basket scanner doesn't seem to work on scan.co.uk (it works fine on other sites so it's not that I can't get it to work at all - it just does nothing on scan.co.uk)

So could someone have a quick look at the following:

MSI B75A-G43, Intel B75, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub (VGA)/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX
    http://www.scan.co.uk/product.aspx?webproductid=1744142

Intel Core i5 3470T,1155, Ivy Bridge, Dual Core, 2.9GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 3MB Smart Cache, 29x Ratio, 35W, OEM
    http://www.scan.co.uk/product.aspx?webproductid=1915041

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Blue, PC3-17066 (2133), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 11-11-11-27, XMP, 1.5V
    http://www.scan.co.uk/product.aspx?webproductid=1831922

2GB Gainward GTX 670, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 915MHz, Boost 980MHz, Cores 1344, 2x DL DVI, DP, HDMI
    http://www.scan.co.uk/product.aspx?webproductid=1812423

Are they all OK? compatible - does anyone have any alternative suggestions (from instock scan.co.uk items)?

- Do I need a mounting bracket to fit an SSD drive into a 3.5 inch slot?
    - Could someone recommend a suitable instock PSU from scan.co.uk?

thanks.

What's the general consensus for Windows 7 on a gaming PC - 32 or 64 bit install?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

pH wrote: »
    What's the general consensus for Windows 7 on a gaming PC - 32 or 64 bit install?

64 mate......
    dont bother with 32:cool:

your spending good money may aswell get the best...:cool:

Advertisement