Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty rip off to save your no claims bonus

Options
  • 01-09-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently had a claim with Liberty and it is all very different to the way Quinn used to do it. I was getting repairs to my vehicle and I know the amount came to €1378.14, i had to pay the €300 excess and Liberty paid the rest.

There were no other vehicles involved so all that was paid by Liberty was €1078.14. I got a letter saying that if I wanted to save my no claims bonus i had to pay €1385.74.

I rang in to ask why it was this much and they told me I had to pay the fees for the regional claims manager that they used who actually works for Liberty and because the "engineer" that works for Liberty could not agree on the repairs with their own approved repairer, they then had to pay €147.60 for an assessor to agree the figures.

This is an absolute disgrace, why not throw in the salary for the other staff in there too, the salary for the canteen staff or the gardener or the rent they pay for their offices and the phone bills for ringing the garage. I know for a fact that Quinn did not do this, they sent a letter with the amount they paid out and not the "investigation" fees. When I rang in I was told that this is the way it is now, the man I spoke to said that "we used to not include investigation fees and it must be a mistake on the letter as they are automatically generated and sent out to policy holders and said that he would look into it".

He then rang me back to say "sorry, unfortunately the customer now has to pay for all the investigation fees if they want to save their no claims bonus". Basically i have to pay for their incompetence, it is an absolute disgrace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

...it is all very different to the way Quinn used to do it...

And we all know what happened to Quinn Direct :rolleyes:...... Quinn shouldn't be a persons benchmark of a good performing insurance company

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd query this - especially if they have admitted they forgot to include it in the letter, and if they stand over it, i'd refer it to the insurance ombudsman.
    and if that doesn't work, ring joe duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Philip

Hi Karlito Brigante

Whilst we can't comment on your individual claim here on Boards, I can give you some general information which should help.

If you've made a claim and wish to repay that claim in order to reinstate your no claims discount, the repayment figure will include the cost of repairs and any fees for independent third parties, such as independent assessors. The repayment amount will not include costs for regional claims managers.

When we issue a letter showing the total amount of any claims settlement, this will include costs for regional claims managers as we are obliged to provide the full claims cost, but we will deduct this from any repayment to be made.

Thanks

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why is this a problem?

If you are trying to reclaim your no-claims bonus, then you have to pay the cost of the repair itself, am I correct?

Then surely this is the full cost to the insurance company of the claim, not just the repair cost? If you were claiming it off the insurance, then they would be paying these fees, so if not them, then you have to pay it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aviva don't charge for assessors fees. Just the cost of repairing.

But it makes sense, whatever Liberty had to pay out for a claim you will need to pay them back to reinstate the bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can I ask why you involved the insurance OP if you knew you would have to pay the full thing yourself?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

TheChizler wrote: »
    Can I ask why you involved the insurance OP if you knew you would have to pay the full thing yourself?

Your supposed to report all accidents to the insurance company, whether or not you intend to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sully wrote: »
    TheChizler wrote: »

Your supposed to report all accidents to the insurance company, whether or not you intend to claim.
    Sorry, I mean did you not get the option to sort it out yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Not all Regional Claims Managers / Assessors work directly for the companies. Many are service agents and therefore it will depend on the details of the specific claim as to the cost been either a salary staff or service agent.Service agent will be a cost per claim wheras the salary staff memeber will be a full time employee

Advertisement