Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish history in Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

The Aussie wrote: »
    Its interesting in seeing what sections in society do celebrate him as a "Folk Hero" and those that see him as nothing but a Knacker Scumbag, I dont think i would know many people who do think he is any way a Hero.

Reading some of those descriptions of him in those museums in Glenrowan you'd swear he was Mother Teresa of Calcutta!

"Brave Ned rebelled against the evil authoritarian police force"

Or some tripe like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Well you are talking about people and a community in general who are directly profiting out of myth and lies to line their own pockets, they are not exactly going to say he was nothing but trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's the same adulation with Chopper, I've read about him and I've seen the film but I fail to see how he's held up as some sort of ordinary decent criminal. He just seems like someone too unhinged for organised crime.

I think the whole Ned Kelly thing is that there was really nothing else of note to talk about in those parts. Sometimes I forget how vast australia is and how underpopulated it was compared with Europe a hundred years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Melbourne based so this concerns Melbourne-

you're interested in Ned Kelly his armour is displayed in the State Library. The Old Melbourne Gaol also run a re-enactment of the trial (with audence participation).

We went to the Ned Kelly interactive display thing in Glenrowan. Bit lame, not sure I'd recommend a trip just to see it!

Some information in Immigration Museum on Irish immigrants, Irish in Australia

Advertisement