Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hitchhickers?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

See a good hitch-hikers, was one myself in my younger days so i kind of feel it's only fair i return the favor. I pick up based on my initial thought if i can take them if they try to attack me or not.

P.S
    I don't pick up females, feel wary that they could accuse me of something so don't take the risk. Once when driving out of Athlone there was a tall blonde in a real real short skirt, dolled up to the last and savage looking. Anyways it looked like a set up for a rape claim so drove on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

People are too afraid to pick up male hitch hikers. Instead they pick up sexy girl hitch hikers, but that's less creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Another wee hitch hiking story!

Was driving out of town with two friends. Saw two Spanish students in the distance thumbing (the little ****s that come every summer). Every time a car didn't stop, the Spaniards would flip them off. Kinda bad form, considering that getting picked up is a privilege, and such actions would give hitch hikers a bad name.

So I did the classic 'pull aside and wait til they're close'. And watched them in my mirror as they threw their tapas at us while we drove away.

(NB: There was no Tapas involved)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Haven't seen any in recent years.

If it was a male I'd leave him but if it was female I'd probably pick her up and let all sorts of pervy fantasies run through my little head.

i think you mean the ladies of the night there;):pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

i saw a couple last week trying to hitch hike

it was at heuston station in dublin and they had a cardboard sign saying Galway on it.

young couple, most likely college students.

more amazing since they were at the station for the train to galway and also the bus stop next to it for galway too.

i was only going to clondalkin

so i stopped, opened the passenger window and asked "where ya's going"

they replied "galway"

i said "good for you" and tore off down the road.

me and my friend in the car at the time and had a good laugh at it and the looks on their faces was priceless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I was in the Italian alps hiking with a friend and the head of the trail we were on was pretty far from where the bus stopped. Hitched a ride with a nice old Italian guy, who I tried to talk to in my broken Italian (I think I managed to say that the mountains were beautiful and that we were students). He stopped at his house and we were just about to thank him and be on our way when he invited us in and poured us each a glass of wine.

I think he was proud of where he lived (he kept comparing it to the city, which he hated), and wanted to show a couple foreigners some good old fashioned Italian hospitality.

I also got a tour of an Italian dam on the same trip from a guy I got a ride from. I tried to make smalltalk by asking what he did (he worked at the dam), and I guess I sounded interested enough to get a full tour.

I've only ever hitchhiked in rural areas, but I've always had good experiences, especially in Italy. I try to be courteous (and smell decent) and don't act like I'm entitled to a ride, and I always have an alternate plan (like a bus). I can understand not wanting to pick up hitchhikers, but don't let a few rude or dangerous ones make you think everyone looking for a ride is some ungrateful bum looking to knife/rape you...

-Tyler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

As a male, I'd never pick up a female hitchhiker in case she would accuse me of rape or something. I'd never pick up a male hitchhiker in case he'd actually rape me.

The days of hitch hikers are sort of behind us now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ChickenZombie

...shocked by the nature of some the comments and attitudes in this thread, there are some sad sad people out there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I hitched from Cairns airport to Cairns (not far).

Got picked up my a mother and her daughter.

Got on great and chatting away for the whole journey. They didnt wanna drop me off ! Asked me out to lunch but I politely declined.

It was my first day in Oz and a great introduction to the people here.....W*nkers ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

**** no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

i saw a couple last week trying to hitch hike

it was at heuston station in dublin and they had a cardboard sign saying Galway on it.

more amazing since they were at the station for the train to galway and also the bus stop next to it for galway too.

i was only going to clondalkin

so i stopped, opened the passenger window and asked "where ya's going"

they replied "galway"

i said "good for you" and tore off down the road.

me and my friend in the car at the time and had a good laugh at it and the looks on their faces was priceless :D

You are easily amused, they say small minds don't take much amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Safety film on Hitch Hikers its called ' Hitcher'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I used to hitch; Ireland a bit but mostly in Europe :0 had mostly good experiences, but there's always the one that puts the frighteners up you forever.

From time to time I remember the 'ole times & feel sorry for a hitcher & pick them up . Am cagey about doing it now, but I have to say the people I've met & their stories if how they came to be stranded/in the middle if nowhere have so far always made me very glad I did.

And then I think of all the missing girls out there ; and wonder ; is it better tostop & give the girl a lift , or leave her for the larry murphys out there :0

I picked up a guy on the back road to nowhere a while back. Narrow road that you'd be killed on; he was so small & frail I thuggt he was a child lost or whose bike had been stolen. Turns out he was an old old man, walking back from a funeral; he d had a few whiskeys & wouldn't drive.it was a scorching hot day he was clutching his coat & taking out a photos or two to show me. heartwrenching . But I was glad icod make his day a bit better.

And then there's the lost Japanese in Wicklow..who wAnt you to drop them off in cork please!!!! :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

God we've become such a nation of bedwetters and babies.

Afraid to give people a lift, couldn't be bothered helping anyone, dont answer our doorbell unless its someone who texted ahead first, dont answer our phones if we don't recognize the number, etc, the list goes on. So basically we dont give a f*** about anyone else and we're scared of our own shadow.

No wonder the country is on the scrap heap and the rest of the world is laughing at us.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Rich11 wrote: »
    So i driving into the applegreen at lusk going southbound yesterday(friday), around 4, i think, and seen a guy and a girl sitting at the entrance just after the roundabout, with a few suit cases and a cardboard sign saying Dublin.

Was in there for around 20mins and on the way out they were still there.

Never seen any hitchhickers before in Ireland, so would any of you ever pick one up, or have picked a hitchhicker up, or even seen these guys yesterday.

My self, i dont think i ever would

You've never seen hitchhikers in Ireland ?? :eek:

You must be young.........very very young.

Hitchhiking was the only mode of transport in the 70's and 80's, there were "rules" to follow because there were so many hitchhikers. It was the only mode of transport for students to get to various colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I used to hitch loads when I was younger,You'd meet the odd weido but you'd meet that walking down to the shop.

If I picked people up that were trekking or moving about id leave them camp in my garden , make them food and show them around the area if I had time.I still talk to a few of them.

I nearly always picked up hitchers until last year when I picked up an old guy that I have picked up a few time.When he got in he was a bit pissed.Just when I was approaching his house the ****er got sick in the car.Then he tried to get his mother,who he lived with,to come out and clean it.
    Hes lucky I didn't strangle him.I dont pick up old fella anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

LLU wrote: »

Afraid to give people a lift, couldn't be bothered helping anyone, dont answer our doorbell unless its someone who texted ahead first, dont answer our phones if we don't recognize the number, etc, the list goes on. So basically we dont give a f*** about anyone else and we're scared of our own shadow.

No wonder the country is on the scrap heap and the rest of the world is laughing at us.
    :(

I agreed with the sentiment, but that last comment was a cliché that had no use attached to an otherwise valid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I used to hitch all the time as a young lad.

But now people always expect me to be places at certain times so I have to pay to get places.

Bastards.
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There are still a good few of them on the outskirts of small towns around Ireland, many of them looking to get to bigger places or else closer to Dublin. I personally wouldnt go near them, I know its very unlikely they will turn out to be serial killers or anything but you are still trusting them and taking a complete stranger into your car, presuming they are normal people. They could easily be weirdos, thieves or even murderers. Best safe than sorry.

Why was that more amazing? Do you think people only hitch because they don't know where the buses and trains leave from? :confused:

• Advertisement

They could easily be weirdos, thieves or even murderers. Best safe than sorry.

Or they could be really boring. Imagine having to drive for a few hours with a really boring person talking at you all the time.

Jaysus no way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Why was that more amazing? Do you think people only hitch because they don't know where the buses and trains leave from? :confused:

no more because they were eating chocolate and drinking minerals and coffee.

maybe they should worry bout getting home rather than being fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

bus fares are pretty good these days, it is possible to get from a to b while not costing you to much,

I used to hitch all the time, when I think about it now I was hitching from the age of about 10,

to many things can go wrong these days, you pick up someone and the next thing you know your in court for something (which could be anything), not worth the hassle.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

justshane wrote: »
    See a good hitch-hikers, was one myself in my younger days so i kind of feel it's only fair i return the favor. I pick up based on my initial thought if i can take them if they try to attack me or not.

P.S
    I don't pick up females, feel wary that they could accuse me of something so don't take the risk. Once when driving out of Athlone there was a tall blonde in a real real short skirt, dolled up to the last and savage looking. Anyways it looked like a set up for a rape claim so drove on.

Man card. Hand it over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

...dont answer our doorbell unless its someone who texted ahead first...:(
    Blame the tv licence inspector for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I pick up hitchers where I see them.

When they introduce themselves I look at them blankly and say

"I'm calling you number 18"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    I agreed with the sentiment, but that last comment was a cliché that had no use attached to an otherwise valid point.

Is it a cliché? Maybe, but I wouldnt say it's entirely irrelevant as it is indicative of the spread of the I'm-all-right-Jack attitude which is at least partially connected with the mess the country is now in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Wold you stop for a neighbour you knew to see at a busstop? Or if it was bucketing rain at a busstop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've hitched before, great craic actually you meet some fantastic people.

One guy gave me a life to Limerick from Galway along with my buddy, he gave us a sandwich his daughter had made him and when we got there he gave us 20 euro to get chips (somehow knew we were broke, we didn't tell him) even though we tried to protest he said he'd be offended if we didn't accept. The single nicest man I have ever met in my life, I'd love to buy him a pint sometime, he used to own the Thirsty Scholar pub, and my dad actually knows him but I have yet to run into him since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I see a lot of tourists hitchiking around this time of the year. Generally I would stop for them as most of them looks decent and I can feel for them as Ive backpacked myself a small bit.

However, that dodgey ould alcoholic who lives in a prefab for the past 65 year isnt somebody I will ever stop for. Seems to make up the majority of Irish hitchhikers around where I live :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

My mum and her sister were hitchhiking about 40 years ago when they were picked up by some bloke. Everything was fine until he went past their stop and wouldn't stop the car, eventually they had to take their high heals off and smack the head off him until he pulled over, go mam.

My sister and her friend were hitchhiking though Offaly about 20 years ago and some old farmer picked them up. Ten minutes later she looks over and he has his c*ck out and is *****ng away like his life depended on it. They screamed and had to jump out of the moving car, both of them ended up with cuts and bruises. Of course this was the good old days of Ireland when nobody went to the cops about anything and victims of sexual assaults were just told to walk it off.

These are the reasons i have never hitchhiked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Hitched all over Ireland and Britain as a young fella, met some great characters both hitchers and drivers. Probably the longest trip I took was from college in Letterkenny home to Offaly, met a couple of mates and we headed to Castle Donnington, got a lift with a trucker one of lads worked for as far as Liverpool and hitched from there to Donnington. Happy days.
    Now I pick up anyone who looks okay, generally they're just the same as I was back all those years ago, students trying to get home or to the next piss up festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Used to hitchhike all the time as a teenager, normal part of growing up in the country back in the day. In general just used to get picked up by farmers on their way into town, who for some reason always smoked Majors while they drove like lunatics.

Anyway, one day three lads in a Hiace stopped for me and told me there was room in the back. Knew as soon as the door shut that it was a mistake. They were hammered, and one old guy just started staring at me. There was petrol spilled on the floor in the back and her kept gesturing with his cigarette that he was going to throw it into the back where I was sitting. Then he started asking me about politics in the North, told me that they were members of the UVF and they were going to take me down a country road and shoot me.

When we then turned up a country road, I didn't know whether to start sobbing or just sh*t myself. At this stage, the driver turned around laughing, and told me not to mind the auld guy, he was just messing with me. They stopped to leave one of the lads home, and then drove me to exactly where I needed to be dropped at my mates house. Never so relieved to get out of a vehicle. Drunk or not, that old guy was some f*cking a*shole for scaring me like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i always pick up hitchhikers if she is fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

In my experience Hitchhikers smell and insist on talking to you.

I don't like smelly people and certainly don't like talking to people when not being paid for it / out with friends.

Can you strap hitchhikers to the roof of the car maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Years ago, when hitchhiking was more common I suppose (well before my time at least) my aunt picked up a hitchhiker one night, as she was on her way back to her home town. He got into the car, she asked him where he was going, he made some vague reply. She drove on and was getting the whole "weirdo" vibe off him. She asked him again, where he was going and he replied something along the lines of to wherever she was going. She got rightly freaked out at this stage, yer man in the front of the car, her two kids in the back. I don't know how far she ended up carrying him but she ended up horsing him out on the side of the road, threathening to drive to a garda station when he initally refused to get out.

My parents have never carried hitchhikers, and I certainly wouldn't either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I never carried a hitchhiker but I nearly started the other day on the Naas Rd. 2 blondes walking along in towards the applegreen filling station. So nearly tempted to pull to ask if they needed a lift :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Used to hitchike out to Tramore and back in the summer when I was younger, it was very commonplace then, you'd always have about 20-30 at the roundabout hoping to be picked up and it never took long for somebody to stop!

Me Ma or Da often stopped to give somebody a lift if we had room (that was when we were nippers)

I doubt it as commonplace now as the world is full of weirdos these days :pac:

Pull in, wait till they get to the rear quarter panel, move off, stop and repeat.
    Magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Pull in, wait till they get to the rear quarter panel, move off, stop and repeat.
    Magic.

you forgot the" call to bodyshop, get rear quarter repaired" bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have never hitchhiked myself but I've picked up people the odd time. Most notable was when driving back to Galway one time and picked up a lad in Ballinasloe where he'd hopped off the bus to use the bathroom and gotten left behind. Turned out he was a cousin of a mate of mine and was good company on the drive home :)

corktina wrote: »
    you forgot the" call to bodyshop, get rear quarter repaired" bit

They never get close enough for that.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I hitched up and down the highways and byways of Ireland when I was in my teens / early twenties. Nice thing about Ireland is most towns are mainly five to ten miles apart so when picked up by a nut you can get out fast.
    It amazes me how people are snobby about hitchers yet think backpacking / gap yearing around the far east is somehow romantic and educational. It is the same bloody thing.

I don't think being cautious is the same thing as being snobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I stop and just as they are about to open the door I drive off...

There was this raging alcoholic in the town where I grew up. He was a harmless guy who used to get more hassle than he deserved. He was just a complete alcoholic.

He lived a good bit outside the town and you would often see him thumbing for lifts.

We were sitting on the wall as you do one day, when some fella pulled up, and being hillarious, he tried the above trick of stopping and pulling off just as he went to open the door.

He got a fright when yer man took an almighty swing at the car with his bag of cans and made shíte of the back door! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

I used to do it all the time as a teenager, met lots of sound skins from around the local area as well as further a field. I pick them up if I see them, return the favour etc...Seems it began to happen less and less as the 'Celtic-cúnt' began prowling - more and more people could afford a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I've hitched before, great craic actually you meet some fantastic people.

One guy gave me a life to Limerick from Galway along with my buddy, he gave us a sandwich his daughter had made him and when we got there he gave us 20 euro to get chips (somehow knew we were broke, we didn't tell him) even though we tried to protest he said he'd be offended if we didn't accept. The single nicest man I have ever met in my life, I'd love to buy him a pint sometime, he used to own the Thirsty Scholar pub, and my dad actually knows him but I have yet to run into him since then.

Thats not hitching.

Advertisement