Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs showing Irish sport

Options
  • 01-09-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

There's always some centrally like Waxy's & The Porterhouse, but had trouble getting a pub for the boxing during the Olympics near work, and for our Ireland v France World Cup qualifier a few years ago I was banking on an O'Neill's to view it, legged it there & when I asked where the match was on, got told 'What match?' by the Polish barmaid :( :eek:

Just looking to try & get together a list of pubs that you can count on to be showing Irish related sport — GAA, rugby (esp if it clashes with English games, like Heienken Cup), soccer, etc. Just thinking of the Dublin/Mayo match tomorrow.

So far, I have:

Central:
    • The Porterhouse (Covent Garden/Embankment)
    • Waxy O'Connors (Piccadily Circus)

West:

South:
    • The Crown and Cushion (Elephant & Castle; Irish pub with Thai restaurant upstairs!)
    • The Albert Arms (Elephant & Castle; Serve Tayto & have some resident Gaelgóirs when I frequented it :) )
    • The Marquis of Granby (New Cross)

Any more? Anything based east would be great for me, but think it'd be good to get a list together if you're travelling or for people based in different spots.

Mods, please feel free to close/merge this with the main pub thread (though personally I see a big difference between what my favourite pub is for a drink & where I can get a match :))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I watch the GAA every Sunday in the Sheepwalk here in Leytonstone, good pub for it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The Sheephaven Bay
    near Mornington Crescent

Shows RTE coverage of Irish internationals and GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gazhoop

North

The Cock Tavern, home of London Hoops Shamrock Rovers Supporters Club.
    Just around the corner from Euston on Phoenix Road - NW1 1HB

East

Bar Valient'e on Bethnal Green Road - Looks like a cafe from the outside but a proper pub inside with a nice mix of old Irish who have been here for ever and proper east end locals. They have every channel under the sun and show all the GAA. A few of us will be in there tomorrow for the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

South East - Blythe Hill Tavern in Forest Hill (about a ten minute walk from Catford Bridge station). Can't recommend this place enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ogrady's, seven kings is my 'local'. I've even tried to get a pat's match put on the telly. . .didn't happen :( but they will show pretty much everything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

gazhoop wrote: »
    North

The Cock Tavern, home of London Hoops Shamrock Rovers Supporters Club

So I shouldn't wear the Bohs jersey up so? :D
    theteal wrote: »
    ogrady's, seven kings is my 'local'. I've even tried to get a pat's match put on the telly. . .didn't happen :( but they will show pretty much everything else

Could you imagine if we started a LoI following over here :)

Was Central yesterday, so ended up watching the match in Waxy's (surrounded by Mayo men unfortunately).

They were doing a nice promotion of a GAA loyalty card — 20% off all food and drink bough during the match. That said, their prices have gone up since I was there last, so pint was £4.35 after the discount. Still a few of the guys go their dinner too & over a couple of rounds, it probably got us an extra pint or so each.
    Fairly strict on the finish of it though, the pint we got straight after the final whistle was full price again.

Created a Google Map here for any places people add to the thread http://goo.gl/maps/cvYyY, if it's of interest. Will update it as people add more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Feathers wrote: »
    Created a Google Map here for any places people add to the thread http://goo.gl/maps/cvYyY, if it's of interest. Will update it as people add more.

very good work, loving the pint icons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tronic

Around Islington/Highbury/Holloway:
    • Phibbers on Holloway Road
    • The Quays on Holloway Road
    • The Floirin on Holloway Road
    • The Bank of Friendship on Blackstock Road
    • The Twelve Pins opposite Finsbury Park Station
    All of these places show GAA + provincial rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hardee

Anyone know pubs to catch the final in Essex, Colchester or nearby? Don't seem to be any 'proper' Irish pubs... :confused:

Advertisement