Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin next week. Some advice needed!

Options
  • 01-09-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

How's it goin' me auld laddies

So, I'll be moving to Dublin next week and have a couple of questions on the top of my head. I'm sure there'll be more to come during these next few days but I'll start out with the ones I've currently got.

Sockets. Electricity. The Irish have some muppet sockets. Where can I find "adapters" so that I can actually plug my stuff in the walls in order to charge them? This one is urgent as electricity is a necessity for the young lad spending hours on the laptop more often than not.

Second... What kind of bank do you guys recommend? Banc na hÉireann? AIB? I have the need to do a bit of purchases online so I figure a VISA-card is essential. A little bird told be AIB are switching from laser cards(?) to VISAs in September. What's your five cents on AIB? Follow up: what is needed to actually get a bank account in Ireland?

These were my two questions for now. Will most likely come back soon with some new ones but this'll do for now, ye.

Thanks in advance gentlemen. And ladies.

Erin go bragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

PTSB and Ulster Bank already do Visa debit cards. AIB and Bank of Ireland are phasing them in at the moment. You'll need proof of address and I.D. (Drivers license or passport usually) to open an account.

I'm sure you can get travel sockets in some of the euro shops or the travel sections of Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

You'll find adapters for your muppet electrical equipment at any electrical goods store and most department stores. Although you'll probably find them easiest at the Airport you're leaving from to come to Ireland.

As banks go, I'm with Permanent TSB and I'm happy enough with them, they use VISA Debit as well now, I think most of the banks seem to be trying to get rid of laser cards. They have branches all over.

Good luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 IV1916

January wrote: »
    PTSB and Ulster Bank already do Visa debit cards. AIB and Bank of Ireland are phasing them in at the moment. You'll need proof of address and I.D. (Drivers license or passport usually) to open an account.

I'm sure you can get travel sockets in some of the euro shops or the travel sections of Dunnes Stores.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have any experience with PTSB? I've heard they have excellent online banking going on there. I've also been strictly adviced not to do any deals with Ulster Bank, as they seem unreliable (e.g seeing what just happened to their data base(?).

On another note, how reliable are buses in Dublin? A no-go to work?

Quick edit: How safe is it to take the bus home after a wet night out? Rumors are that kids snort cocaine openly and that it's common to receive a good auld beating randomly on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hmmm something smells fishy here, for someone whos moving to Ireland from a foreign land and who claims to know nothing you sure use a lot of Irishisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

there's a good fishing shop just odd o'connell street where you could pick up some new bait;)

• Advertisement

Hmmm something smells fishy here, for someone whos moving to Ireland from a foreign land and who claims to know nothing you sure use a lot of Irishisms.

I'm half Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

The Irish have some muppet sockets.

Where exactly are you moving from...???? US,UK,Europe...?

laros wrote: »
    Where exactly are you moving from...???? US,UK,Europe...?

Eur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

IV1916 wrote: »
    good auld beating randomly

No foreigner would ever say that

latenia wrote: »

As I told you earlier. I'm half Irish. Nothing fishy about that, now. Shall we proceed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

latenia wrote: »

As I told you earlier. I'm half Irish. Nothing fishy about that, now. Shall we proceed?

I would say that there is every chance you could get beaten talking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Scandinavia

You would be better off picking up your power adapters where you are now... over here they mainly have adapters for UK/Irish plugs into euro sockets, the opposite of what you are looking for.

laros wrote: »
    You would be better off picking up your power adapters where you are now... over here they mainly have adapters for UK/Irish plugs into euro sockets, the opposite of what you are looking for.

Bummer. I'm not currently in Scandinavia but I'll have a look around over here then and see what I can find. Surely there must be some providers of these precious life savers in Dublin aswell?
    bdoo wrote: »
    I would say that there is every chance you could get beaten talking like that.

Sorry, was I being impolite? That wasn't my purpose by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

If you're half Irish can't you just ask half your relatives rather then some randomers on the net :confused:

Please, let us go on topic again.

I was having a couple of thoughts of what areas to avoid when it comes to accomodation in Dublin. I understand that Ballymun isn't an ideal place to live, neighter Tallaght. Any other areas I should be aware of?

Thanks

Parts of Tallaght and Ballymun are fine to live in. Similarly there's parts of Darndale or Coolock and Finglas you wouldn't want to live either.
    Have you got accommodation lined up or will you be looking when you get here?

January wrote: »
    Parts of Tallaght and Ballymun are fine to live in. Similarly there's parts of Darndale or Coolock and Finglas you wouldn't want to live either.
    Have you got accommodation lined up or will you be looking when you get here?

Will be lookin when I'm actually on site. Preferably in the northern part of Dublin, not far away from the airport. Bit worried that I would end up in some dodgy area like Ballymun, which, if I'm not mistaken, located in the northern part of Dublin.

I've read that it's supposed to be quite easy finding somewhere to live and that you'd be able to move in pretty much the day you sign a contract. Where I currently live it's much harder to find a place to stay. Is it really that easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Depends on the agent/landlord. Doubt you could move in same day.

Where are your relatives from?

I don't doubt you could move in same day if you had deposit and first months rent up front, along with references.

Best bet is to look around, if you like a property, observe it at night time to check there's not much anti-social behaviour going on around it and obviously during daylight hours too.

Is it preferred to stay out of Ballymun? Was planning on staying at a hotel there, but I read some nasty things about the area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it preferred to stay out of Ballymun? Was planning on staying at a hotel there, but I read some nasty things about the area.

Don't believe everything you read here.

Agree with Spurious, don't believe everything you read here. The two hotels in Ballymun are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

There are rough parts of Ballymun but as long as you're not going out courting any trouble you'll be fine.

Where are you working, so people can advise you on best places to live for public transport and amenities?

The Dublin Bus services is very good in some parts of Dublin and quite poor in others so we can't really answer you on public transport until we know where you're coming from and going to :)

Thanks to every one that have given good answers, it helps alot.

Will be going in a day or two and hopefully I can check some stuff out myself when I'm on site before I start working. Approximately, how much is a cab ride ~22km? Or, let's say from Dublin Airport to Grafton Street? Rates are lower than the country I'm currently in, I know that for a fact, but I don't have any numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

Thanks to every one that have given good answers, it helps alot.

Will be going in a day or two and hopefully I can check some stuff out myself when I'm on site before I start working. Approximately, how much is a cab ride ~22km? Or, let's say from Dublin Airport to GraftoJn Street? Rates are lower than the country I'm currently in, I know that for a fact, but I don't have any numbers.

Your obviously off your rocker, you'll most likely blend in anywhere you land around Tallaght or Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Roughly 30€ I'd say from the airport to Grafton.

Your obviously off your rocker, you'll most likely blend in anywhere you land around Tallaght or Ballymun.

Am I that much of a Dub? :D

Advertisement