Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subkick

• 01-09-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Anyone use one ?

Any point ?

Anything you can't get with a heap of EQ ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Why don't you....just use a sample.

It could probably be important...if you had a great drummer playing a beautiful kit. And their playing and kit wasn't wasted on the music they were playing.

You know..."Let's spend ages mic'ing up the drums, getting it just right...and then go back and edit and replace all the hits, because we're insane"...is a little insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

I use a home built one sometimes. To be honest I usually end up not using it come mix time as there's plenty of sub energy anyway on my kick mic.
    I certainly wouldn't say it's ever been something thats "made" my kick sound if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

i don't. might create a double track of the bass drum and auto-replace the kicks with a sample or use some low-bass enhancer on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Never liked the sub kick.
    No point trying to capture frequencies that most stereos can't reproduce, let alone ipod buds.
    I tend to boost the tonic of the kick at 60-80 and hi pass at 20.
    I think it was a marketing idea by Yamaha to use their stock of ns10 cones.
    Never saw them bringing out the sub kick when they still making ns10s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

No point trying to capture frequencies that most stereos can't reproduce, let alone ipod buds.

No.....but it depends on where it's going to be played. The kick on the Black Keys' Lonely Boy across a good pub stereo sounds like a monster. I've heard it in the Mercantile, and the crowd really moved to the kick.

On most stereos, the kick in rock music, sounds like someone gently slapping a sock against a pillow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

used to use one if available, couldnt be bothered anymore. the 'bx boom' plugin does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

krd wrote: »
    On most stereos, the kick in rock music, sounds like someone gently slapping a sock against a pillow.

Trade off quality VS volume(maxed out). Higher echelons want it this way. Terrible sh*te.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Aye -

I've used the NS10 Woof trick before - just wondering had anyone actually had results from the Yam, usable or otherwise .

Advertisement