Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to take home

Options
  • 01-09-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    So I am in the US 12 months and will be for a further 12 months. I have free shipping home and know that I will have no customs or excise duties to pay on anything I bring back. What to buy that is cheaper in the US than back home. I'm trying to save some money on purchases when I get back.
    Any ideas? Electronics, Garden, hand-tools, power tools. Anything really.
    Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Forget about power tools, the transformer that you'll need to buy and lug around to make the US tools work over here will be too much hassle.

Smaller electrical items will need to be multivoltage - 100-240V 50/60 Hz - in order to work here.

If you buy an FM radio, make sure that it is not restricted to the US system of starting at 87.9 MHz and going up in increments of 0.2 MHz. If you buy such a radio, you will not be able to tune to a frequency with an even decimal e.g. 101.8 MHz (Today FM in Dublin) or 104.4 MHz (FM104). FM radios in Ireland and the UK typically tune in steps of 0.05 or 0.1 MHz so you can tune to any xxx.x frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Beef jerkey!! Lots and lots and lots of beef jerkey!! I love the stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I have a site transformer at home so no worries about the voltage for tools, Frequency may be a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 markcooper006

electronic gadgets would be great to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I have free shipping home and know that I will have no customs or excise duties to pay on anything I bring back.

I'm pretty sure customs duty will be payable regardless of how long you lived there.

I would go with clothing and high priced electronics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

***** Moving from now defunct US/ Canada Travel forum to USA forum, which now is for both travel/ holiday and immigration/ visa/ living questions *****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

if you really have free unlimited shipping, I'd invest in a couple of high spec motorbikes for resell - just make sure you own them for a sufficient period of time to avoid taxes and charges. It used to be 6 months prior to comming back, not sure what it is now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hi All,
    So I am in the US 12 months and will be for a further 12 months. I have free shipping home and know that I will have no customs or excise duties to pay on anything I bring back. What to buy that is cheaper in the US than back home. I'm trying to save some money on purchases when I get back.
    Any ideas? Electronics, Garden, hand-tools, power tools. Anything really.
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm pretty sure customs duty will be payable regardless of how long you lived there.

I would go with clothing and high priced electronics.

You are exempt if you qualify under the Transfer of Residence Relief, you have to apply for this and make a declaration, there are also quite a few conditions, one of which is that the goods have been yours for at least 6 months and were used by you iin the other countryetc etc, theres further details of it on www.revenue.ie

Advertisement