Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol station

Options
  • 01-09-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭

Was passing through clon today and noticed a new petrol station being built right alongside another one which only opened a few years ago,what gives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

Ya was wondering about that myself. And it was open for business tonight. A bit back from the road tho. Not sure about their business planðŸ˜. Does not make sence to put it right behind the other petrol station. Must check out thier prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It looked busy enough on saturday when I passed, but it does seem strange to open so close to established competition. There's been a shop there for a while with a sign saying 'Service Station' but I never say a pump there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yeah i think the place with the clonakilty service station sign only opened when the original place closed down,they never had pumps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

The shop was up further in the old seat dealers place. At the other side of the tyre and motor factors. Never looked to see if shop was closed. Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I'm pretty sure the guy who is running it used to run the adjacent Maxol petrol station before it changed hands and was renovated. He's in an awkward spot alright, the Maxol petrol station really stands out and is noticable. The new place only has a hand drawn price sign and you don't really notice the place until you're driving past it :)

I've been driving past there most days and have been keeping an eye on their prices; since he has opened both petrol stations have had the exact same prices on both petrol and diesel.

I must pop in to the new place and see what it's like; I think he'll find it hard to live up the services which the Maxol provides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Passed today and the shop is closed,signs taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

ofcork wrote: »
    Passed today and the shop is closed,signs taken down.
    That place is run by the old maxol owner, his non compete clause expired and now all his old customer base are going back to him....that is what I heard yesterday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

grange mac wrote: »
    That place is run by the old maxol owner, his non compete clause expired and now all his old customer base are going back to him....that is what I heard yesterday...

One of the oldest tricks in the book. Fair play, hope he does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

segaBOY wrote: »
    Fair play, hope he does well.

As far as I can see he doesn't seem to be doing well at all. I pass there regularly and for the most part there are no cars getting fuel whereas the Maxol usually has a few cars on the go.

Advertisement