Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair of old video tapes??

• 01-09-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I came across some of our old wedding video camera tapes. They are pretty degraded and the quality is pretty bad. They were taken about 10 years ago and are on Hi8 digital8 tapes from a sony cameracorder.
    Does anyone know where I would be able to get these repaired / restored and stored on avi or some other foramt I can stick on a hard drive for safe keeping? They are playing no problems but the pic quality is a bit snowey..
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Have you tried tapes with other content on the same player? You could have a dirty playback head.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chuckin007

Thanks for the reply. Yea.. I have only one player, the camera itself, but I do have some other recordings which play with much better quality so I dont think its the heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

Get a player that works with your tapes and link that to a standard DVD recorder and record directly to DVD. If you want it as a digital file use handbrake or similar software to extract off the DVD. Mpeg Streamclip can transcode it what ever format you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chuckin007

NealB wrote: »
    Get a player that works with your tapes and link that to a standard DVD recorder and record directly to DVD. If you want it as a digital file use handbrake or similar software to extract off the DVD. Mpeg Streamclip can transcode it what ever format you want.

Thanks - Restoring the tapes is my main concern. I can get them off the tapes ok, but the quality is degraded, even when playing from the tape recorder.

Advertisement