Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escallonia yellowish tint - Help Please

Options
  • 01-09-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

Can anyone please share some thoughts as to what might be going on here? Some escallonia hedge leaves are showing signs of a yellowish tint. I'm attaching a picture. Please let me know if you have any ideas and tips to address the problem.

Thank you in advance,

Pete
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pc__allinone

Hello,

Can anyone please share some thoughts as to what might be going on here? Some escallonia hedge leaves are showing signs of a yellowish tint. I'm attaching a picture. Please let me know if you have any ideas and tips to address the problem.

Thank you in advance,

Pete

Hi,

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening and how it can be resolved?

Many thanks for any ideas you can provide.

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

looks like new growth is being affected and it looks a bit like clorosis. Perhaps it may be as simple as a feed which would green up the plant a bit. A simple foliar application of liquid seaweed may also help with the micronutrients. Is it your whole hedge or just sections. perhaps you could put up a photo to give a larger view of hedge and planting medium. Has there been any root damage lately, have you a frost hollow.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/focus/chlorosis.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Same thing has happened my Escallonia hedge, planted about 5 years ago. Also loses most of its leaves in the Winter - it becomes shabby and see-through. I am thinking of throwing it out.

It has been explained to me that Escallonia, in recent years, has become prone to some sort of fungal attack. And that is the cause of the problem.

Escallonia and griselinia are suppost to be sea side plant as they are not really that hardy or frost proof but have been much planted here inland and the severe weather in the early part of the last decade and recently has seen a lot of them off but still people persist. It takes 8-10 years to establish a hedge and based on what has happened it is no longer worth investing in these plants as a hedge. I planted a single escallonia apple blossom for fun as it is lovely and I adore the smell of escallonia (as I used to cut my grandads hedge when young) but that is gone now. hedges in galway are gone too.

To my eye it is not just a frost issue, I have been called out to a number of escallonia/griselinia hedges, what appears to happen is that the bark and cambium freeze on seriously cold days in winter but then we have had that followed by a warm day or two which has exploded the bark and cambium effectivly ring barking the plants, qed. this damaged stem and bark could aslo be an easy avenue for a further fungus attack.

People delight when some of the plants start to regrow from the base, but the hedge is gone and I fear that these type of weather conditions are going to happen sooner rather than later and therefore kill any regrowing hedge. So better to plant somthing else.

As a side note my privitt hedge has now gone from semi-deciduous to deciduous, with buds now burned and blackened from the frosty weather. strange but true. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pc__allinone

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies.

Oldtree, you are spot on with chlorosis. We seem to have an iron deficiency and your link seems to support that hypothesis.

The chlorosis problem is only seen in random leaves here and there.

Separately, we have some form of fungus attack arriving from soil weeds. How can I identify the right course of action? It's problem after problem. :(

I'll post a picture as soon as I can.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Pete

• Advertisement

if you could post more info on the fungus attack like pictures of the damage and more descriptions of the plants being attacked and what you think is going on exactly, then we can have a go at finding a remedy or way of dealing with the problem

Advertisement