Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Throttle body trouble

Options
  • 01-09-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a year 2000 1.4 VW AUB engine that has been running lean recently. i cleaned the throttle body today. i sprayed carb cleaner on to the carb and rubbed it with a clean cloth.

when i started the car it was purging and after a quick spin down the road i noticed reduced power and more purging.

I then got P1504* and P1553** faults
    * Intake air system: leak detected
    ** barometric pressure signal/manifold absolute pressure: implausible relation

Can anyone help me to resolve these issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Bri_Dunne wrote: »
    I have a year 2000 1.4 VW AUB engine that has been running lean recently. i cleaned the throttle body today. i sprayed carb cleaner on to the carb and rubbed it with a clean cloth.

when i started the car it was purging and after a quick spin down the road i noticed reduced power and more purging.

I then got P1504* and P1553** faults
    * Intake air system: leak detected
    ** barometric pressure signal/manifold absolute pressure: implausible relation

Can anyone help me to resolve these issues?

Like it says, you have an air leak. Air is getting into the carburettor/throttle
    and messing with the mixture. The cars engine management system is constantly trying to compensate for this, resulting in erratic idling, purging etc. Do a physical check of all hoses and lines around the throttle body and if you dont see anything suspect, run the engine and spray your cleaner onto the hoses. The air leak will suck the cleaner in and so will help you identify the location. You should also notice a change in idle at the same time. Failing that, the idle control valve may be dodgy, causing the same effect. It is usually a small cylindrical device with wires connected to it via a plug and usually fixed to the side of the throttle. Disconnect the plug and see if you have any change. If its dodgy, the engine should at least purge less. If there is no real noticeable difference, it may well be ok and thus, eliminated. Just my tuppence worth, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bri_Dunne

Thanks a mil. ill have a look in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

You may need to get the throttle reset, Basic settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bri_Dunne

I checked the throttle body today all hoses were connected and no leaks. i disconnected the battery for a few hours to try reset the senors. i then reconnected the battery and cleared the fault codes.
    Car runs great. I think it was just down to excessive carb cleaner in the system and the car been use to running with a certain amount of carbon in the system.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Glad you got it sorted. Always a nice feeling to have her back on top form!

And thanks for the update. Its always useful to know what the final resolution was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement