Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One man band vs. SME

Options
  • 01-09-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently work for a company that employs 12 people, director, sales, design staff, production staff, installation staff.

I am currently thinking of leaving to set up on my own, albeit on a much smaller, and we'll say, niche scale. Smaller to the extent that I have knowledge of each area of the roles named above, and could either perform them myself or sub-contract people to perform them. It would only be myself setting up, not needing to employ anyone or any machinery apart from a computer.

I see my boss stressing out about all these different elements of the business, especially if something goes wrong, and I sometimes think, whats the point? Issues may arise through misinterpretation of a job from sales to production, jobs over-running, not getting paid agreed amount, staff issues, customer complaints, wages, machines braking down, premises and running costs.

As self-employed, I would like to be make enough to cover my cost and earn a wage (as anyone does). So my required monthly income will be X. I would also like to develop a client base that will benefit future business, not just grab anything that means I can earn a bit extra.

A company that employs 12 people, the costs are covered and the 12 employess are paid, but on a much much larger scale. However, the profit margin made on a monthly basis with the large company could be the same as I could make out on my own.

Now I know that by being on my own, I would be restricting my earning capability by not being able to produce as much work, but I will have control over this work, make sure it is done properly, and ensure I have repeat business.

I see more sense in having this control than having a large staff just so I can take on more work and inevitably more mistakes.

If i'v made sense here, can I get peoples opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Is the company ur working for based in rathcoole by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

ha ha, its not galwaydude. but interesting to hear there are similar situations out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Well in the shopfitting industry almost all of that happens apart from jobs running over. Iv only ever had one boss who constantly lost his cool but he was a useless c**t who new nothing about shopfitting at all!!

Advertisement