Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to leave bike safely over night in Dublin city center

Options
  • 01-09-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭

Has anybody got a suggestion as to where to lock a bike over night that won't be nicked. The bike is only worth about a 100 euro but would still hate to see it taken

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

billyhead wrote: »
    Has anybody got a suggestion as to where to lock a bike over night that won't be nicked. The bike is only worth about a 100 euro but would still hate to see it taken

There is nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

http://www.bikelocker.ie/

The Drury st car park has CCTV covered bike stands and I think Irish Rail might have overnight bike lock facilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

John_Rambo wrote: »
    http://www.bikelocker.ie/

The Drury st car park has CCTV covered bike stands and I think Irish Rail might have overnight bike lock facilities.

Drury Street, or Temple Bar car park. It'll be hidden behind a wall in there. There is a charge but you're unlikely to actually be charged, if you know what I mean.
    That bike locker thing looks interesting.Anyone know how much they cost? There's no prices on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Trinity is another option - its closed at night and should offer a sufficiently secure environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

cycle up to the mater hospital on eccles street. lock it to the railings beside where the bike shed is, and there is usually a security guard in the little hut nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

Lock it securely on any of the main busy streets that generally have a lot of people on time at all times, O connell st, westmoreland st, georges st, top or bottom of grafton st and your bike WILL be there come morning, lock it somewhere quiet with little traffic at night, like trinity and you are taking a risk.

Ihave left my bike overnight in town many times without problems

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

FensterDJ wrote: »
    Lock it securely on any of the main busy streets that generally have a lot of people on time at all times, O connell st, westmoreland st, georges st, top or bottom of grafton st and your bike WILL be there come morning, lock it somewhere quiet with little traffic at night, like trinity and you are taking a risk.

+1

But it must be locked correctly and at least with one decent lock.

See here: http://cyclingindublin.com/lock-your-bicycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The only place i would leave my bike overnight in town is Dury St car park. I wouldnt risk anywhere that is unsecured or on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Trinity might seem like a good idea, as it is closed at night. But I have had 2 bikes nicked in Dublin over the years, and both times it has been from Trinity at night. Leave it somewhere that is busy 24/7 with a good lock (preferably 2) and it will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I have left my bike overnight in town many times without problems

I have seen with my own eyes a bike thief in action outside Pearse St Garda Station and went in to report him. Couldn't believe he was so blatant ..and everybody walking past didn't give him a second glance! Personally after seeing that I would not leave my bike on a busy street in Dublin..........especially in this economic climate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

richardjjd wrote: »
    Trinity is another option - its closed at night and should offer a sufficiently secure environment.
    steve9859 wrote: »
    Trinity might seem like a good idea, as it is closed at night. But I have had 2 bikes nicked in Dublin over the years, and both times it has been from Trinity at night.

I have to agree with steve9859 - Trinity is not a safe place to leave a bike.

I've had two bikes nicked from Trinity - once on my lunch break in the afternoon, and once when I left a bike there overnight.

On the very rare occasions I leave a bike somewhere overnight I lock it by a 24 hour shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is a charge but you're unlikely to actually be charged
    There's no charge in Drury Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Northside - underground carpark at Smithfield Market (entrance from Queen St or lift two doors down from Lighthouse cinema.

Luas or Dublinbike from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Ive had a bike robbed from outside St Stephens Green Shopping Centre at lunchtime on a Saturday, and again at the top of Grafton Street on a Saturday afternoon I had a wheel robbed off another bike. People in general will not give a second glance to a scumbag robbing a bike and this is why they will do it anywhere, anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

faigs wrote: »
    Ive had a bike robbed from outside St Stephens Green Shopping Centre at lunchtime on a Saturday, and again at the top of Grafton Street on a Saturday afternoon I had a wheel robbed off another bike. People in general will not give a second glance to a scumbag robbing a bike and this is why they will do it anywhere, anytime.

That crappy about your bikes, every bike I have ever owned for the last 30 years has been stolen, but what are you gonna do, not cycle? you have to take a chance and in that respect my advice still stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

For those that have had their bikes nicked.....get a couple of good locks. I made that mistake as well....economising on locks 'cause I didnt want to drop €80 for a D-lock and €50 for a chain. Pretty much the definition of 'false economy'

A proper D-lock, plus a chain = your bike is safe. No-one is going to have a go at your bike as they need two seperate tools and it would take ages and be noisy. So in a crowded place it would be completely safe. In fact, the thing that you lock it to is probably the weak link.

If you have it robbed outside Stephens Green on a lunchtime, you must have had a cheap-ass lock on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

billyhead wrote: »

when I first moved to Dublin I thought these people who steal the jaw from your head while you slept, but after a while you settle down. I lock my bike to an immovable object and its generally fine, day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

For those that have had their bikes nicked.....get a couple of good locks. I made that mistake as well....economising on locks 'cause I didnt want to drop €80 for a D-lock and €50 for a chain. Pretty much the definition of 'false economy'

A proper D-lock, plus a chain = your bike is safe. No-one is going to have a go at your bike as they need two seperate tools and it would take ages and be noisy. So in a crowded place it would be completely safe. In fact, the thing that you lock it to is probably the weak link.

If you have it robbed outside Stephens Green on a lunchtime, you must have had a cheap-ass lock on it....

a car jack with break the d lock. if they really want to steal it, they will find a way.
    I have had the key break in the lock and ended up having to break it open. nobody challenged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Yes I did, and I learned my lesson. It was a €100 bike and my first one in Dublin so at least it wasn't too costly. When I had my rear wheel robbed I had the bike locked with a large chain but didn't put it through the wheel - another lesson learned. What do these scumbags do with a rear bike wheel anyway, what horrible people are paying them for parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

when locking a bike you need 2 locks and 2 chains ! to lock the back wheel to the frame and 1 to lock the front wheel and frame to something solid. otherwise they will just steal whatever part is not locked, find another bike, rob from that and make up a new bike. Seen it happen at a bike rack in an appartment block carpark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Lock it outside a Garda station. Gardai going in and out around the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

every bike I have ever owned for the last 30 years has been stolen

:eek:

Bloody hell. I've never had a bike stolen (except when I wanted to get rid of it and left it unlocked) and ditto on the 30 years. Two locks always: lock front wheel to frame, and lock frame to immovable object. Also, none of the bikes looked particularly good. My present one, my bike-to-work bike, is the first ever new one I've ever bought, so I'm a bit paranoid about it till I get it covered with scratches and stickers. :)

Now knocking frantically on wood.

Advertisement