Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science?

Options
  • 01-09-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm going to be studying Biomedical Science in UCC and CIT this year but I didn't do Biology as a Leaving Cert subject. I did Physics. Will this make the course harder for me? Is there any subjects I should at least read over before the course starts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'm going to be studying Biomedical Science in UCC and CIT this year but I didn't do Biology as a Leaving Cert subject. I did Physics. Will this make the course harder for me? Is there any subjects I should at least read over before the course starts.

Thanks.
    When you enter CIT for one of these courses it sort it starts everyone at the same level which is assuming you know nothing, yes it would be a bit of an advantage if you did it already.

But trust me if you put the effort in you can easily excel in it. You will be given all the information and knowledge you need in CIT its up to you to study and know the material then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Maeveonnaise

When you enter CIT for one of these courses it sort it starts everyone at the same level which is assuming you know nothing, yes it would be a bit of an advantage if you did it already.

But trust me if you put the effort in you can easily excel in it. You will be given all the information and knowledge you need in CIT its up to you to study and know the material then.

Thank you for that reassurance. I've been a little worried about it because I'd hate to go into a course where you're expected to know a certain amount on a subject I haven't studied.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RachelLeanne

Ive a few friends in it, and from what I gather it seems to be more physics than biology so you should be grand!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alpha_Helix

Ive a few friends in it, and from what I gather it seems to be more physics than biology so you should be grand!:)

That's probably biomedical physics, or biomedical engineering that your friends are studying.

I'm studying biomedical science, and it's mostly biology and chemistry modules; chemistry is a major part to prepare for biochemistry and clinical chemistry in later years. Physics is only one module in first year applying physics only to the human body. So very little physics I'm afraid......

That's probably biomedical physics, or biomedical engineering that your friends are studying.

I'm studying biomedical science, and it's mostly biology and chemistry modules; chemistry is a major part to prepare for biochemistry and clinical chemistry in later years. Physics is only one module in first year applying physics only to the human body. So very little physics I'm afraid......
    I thought as much.

I know that I'm going to have to work hard but I would just like to know if the course will be managable without having done Chemistry or Biology for the Leaving Cert?

• Advertisement

In saying that I wouldn't worry about it, because you will all start from Leaving Cert level again in first year.

I thought as much.

I know that I'm going to have to work hard but I would just like to know if the course will be managable without having done Chemistry or Biology for the Leaving Cert?

It will be manageable it just means you will have to just keep on top of the work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I thought as much.

Look its entirely manageable with effort on your part.
    Every course in the college is set up so they teach you everthing you need to know from day 1 .
    Of course if you did a subject previously it would be a little easier but trust me the exam layout and setup are completley different to leaving cert.

The best advice i can give you is as soon as you do a lab start writing it up that evening if possible while its still fresh, even if you only get the first page done it gives you a great jump off point when you come back to it.
    You will have no problems as long as you attend all the classes and labs, and hand up all the reports etc.

And continuous assessment in CIT is a major advantage , for example in semester 1 for you theres a module called " Cell Biology" http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/384

Look at the assessment breakdown , its 100% continuous assessment for that module in theres a few short answer exams , lab reports, marks for lab skills.

From personal experience i can tell you these are great subjects to excel in as you gain your marks the entire way through not just one exam at christmas. And if you excel in them it will bring your average way up.

As i said you will fly through the course as long as you attend everything dont miss a class without a seriously good reason, maximise your marks that you get for reports etc, dont hand anything up late its a automatic % deduction.

Best of luck any questions feel free to ask here , or at the induction next week the student leaders are there to help.

I thought as much.

Look its entirely manageable with effort on your part.
    Every course in the college is set up so they teach you everthing you need to know from day 1 .
    Of course if you did a subject previously it would be a little easier but trust me the exam layout and setup are completley different to leaving cert.

The best advice i can give you is as soon as you do a lab start writing it up that evening if possible while its still fresh, even if you only get the first page done it gives you a great jump off point when you come back to it.
    You will have no problems as long as you attend all the classes and labs, and hand up all the reports etc.

And continuous assessment in CIT is a major advantage , for example in semester 1 for you theres a module called " Cell Biology" http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/384

Look at the assessment breakdown , its 100% continuous assessment for that module in theres a few short answer exams , lab reports, marks for lab skills.

From personal experience i can tell you these are great subjects to excel in as you gain your marks the entire way through not just one exam at christmas. And if you excel in them it will bring your average way up.

As i said you will fly through the course as long as you attend everything dont miss a class without a seriously good reason, maximise your marks that you get for reports etc, dont hand anything up late its a automatic % deduction.

Best of luck any questions feel free to ask here , or at the induction next week the student leaders are there to help.

Thank you so much.

You've definitely put my mind at ease. IFor some reason I was imagining horrific situations where I'll walk into the course and not understand anything.

Definitely looking forward to starting now. Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement