Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity wall insulation

Options
  • 01-09-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone in the area had their cavity walls insulated and if so can you recommend a good contracter? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just wondering how old is the house you have? Are you certain it has cavity construction?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just wondering how old is the house you have? Are you certain it has cavity construction?

I am in Charlesland Court, as far as I know they have cavity construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There should already be an insulation board in the cavity with further insulation in the dry-lining (mineral wool) on the inside of the blockwork walls. This would be the normal make-up of walls for a traditional concrete blockwork-built house built circa 2004/2005.

I am wondering if there would be any benefit adding more insulation to walls where other factors could be addressed instead? More insulation in the attic and sealing any air leakage could yield more positive results (attic hatches is what I'm leaning towards). Keep in mind you still need natural ventilation to rooms i.e. heat recovery may be something to consider.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement