Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making Irish shortcuts on WORD 2010: éíóú

• 01-09-2012 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I posted over on the Gaeilge forum but nobody seemed to have an answer.

I have a new computer with WORD Starter 2010 installed. On all previous versions of WORD I would press 'alt', 'ctrl' and the vowel and I get all of the long vowels: áéíóú, and 'alt', 'ctrl', 'Shift' and the vowel and I get them in caps: ÁÉÍÓÚ. No problem.

It works perfectly here on Chrome also, but no longer works in WORD 2010. Yes, I've gone into WORD ==> Insert ==> Symbol ==> More Symbols and then assigned the shortcut key. This worked on previous versions. It doesn't work now and I just cannot seem to be able to overwrite the € symbol, for instance, and replace it with é in that shortcut. Similarly, 'o' gives me Outline; 'i' gives Print. 'u' gives nothing. I want to overwrite all of these. á is the only one of the five long vowels which works anymore.

As you can probably understand, it's fairly time consuming going into Symbols each time I want to get those frequently used letters.

Curiously, 'alt', 'ctrl', shift and the vowel works perfectly in WORD 2010 in giving me capitals: ÁÉÍÓÚ

So, given the above, would anybody know how I can configure WORD 2010 to allow me to use 'alt', ctrl and the vowel to give me é, í, ó, ú?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You probably just need to change the language to English Ireland, it might be set to UK or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Use AutoIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

You probably just need to change the language to English Ireland, it might be set to UK or something like that.

Strangely this doesn't change it either. I also tried EN English (United Kingdom) and IR Irish (Ireland).

Torqay wrote: »
    Use AutoIT.

What's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Instead of ctrl + alt try just using Alt Gr. Shift should still work the same.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Instead of ctrl + alt try just using Alt Gr. Shift should still work the same.

Works perfectly! Thanks. Now to try and get used to a new shortcut, although I'd still prefer the above one which I've been using for many years.

Advertisement