Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've not tried the HD version but you can be 100 percent certain the 1080p version will have visible pixels. I've heard they are testing screen filters and other techniques to reduce the effect though.

Some people have had success in reducing it on the current version using privacy screen filters. But I've not tried any on my Rift yet.
    Is it 100% going to be a HD screen? Aren't there plenty of higher resolution displays around this size too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Seriously, it's not something I'd be worrying about. Once you put the thing on, resolution goes out the window.

The only reason resolution is an issue at the moment is because of just how low it is on the dev unit - but it's still very enjoyable.

Anything remotely HD is going to be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

isn't that one of the guys on here with his missus at the 2 minute mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Skerries wrote: »

isn't that one of the guys on here with his missus at the 2 minute mark?

If the dev kit is getting reactions that dramatic, could you imagine the Full HD version!

Or even a 4K version a few years down the line!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Does it really throw you off balance as much? I'm assuming, like most reaction videos, most of those are exaggerated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Kiith wrote: »
    Does it really throw you off balance as much? I'm assuming, like most reaction videos, most of those are exaggerated?

I played tuscany for a minute and I felt my legs come out from underneath me when I tried to walk down the stairs backwards. It's surreal. I imagine you get used to it but at first... I'm convinced those reactions are very real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tuscany on the first go turned me to jelly as soon as I walked forward, I wasn't used to it at all........now I'm playing Mirrors Edge :pac:

The rollercoaster demos had me grinning and flinching. I did most of the demos sitting down but when I stood up, especially for the rollercoaster ones, my balance was all wobbly.

I gave it to the GF to try and the only demo she's done is where you're in an art gallery, she's was flinching and making noises when she got close to a corner or object that jutted out to her from the stereoscopic effect.

As for resolution, it's low but not unplayable low and doesn't take away from the experience at all, just makes you want the HD version even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

o1s1n wrote: »
    Seriously, it's not something I'd be worrying about. Once you put the thing on, resolution goes out the window.

The only reason resolution is an issue at the moment is because of just how low it is on the dev unit - but it's still very enjoyable.

Anything remotely HD is going to be amazing.
    I hope so. I'd be worried about the gimmick affect, it's great for a while but then it becomes clear that it serves no purpose/is to awkward and you go back to normal gaming.

I'm looking for it to achieve something specific, as an alternative to a 3 screen setup for sim racing. Resolution could matter when your trying to hit a very specific part of a track.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I hope so. I'd be worried about the gimmick affect, it's great for a while but then it becomes clear that it serves no purpose/is to awkward and you go back to normal gaming.

I'm looking for it to achieve something specific, as an alternative to a 3 screen setup for sim racing. Resolution could matter when your trying to hit a very specific part of a track.

I was a bit worried about the gimmick effect with this alright but if there's enough support (and there should be, especially come next year) it should carve out a nice corner for itself. I have found myself playing games like Quake 1 & 2, Half-Life 2, and Mirrors Edge fairly regularly and only through the Rift these past 2 weeks amongst all the other demos.

An updated 3D Perception driver is due next week which should add support for more games so hopefully I can try out a bunch more like Skyrim, which they're supposed to have put a fair bit of work into. VorpX is another driver that has support for enabling the Rift on games too, though it's still in beta I think and you have to pay for that.

A lot of demos that newbie developers are starting off, usually one of their first projects, are quite impressive in their early state. I played one yesterday called Exsis which allowed you to pick a planet like Venus and walk on it's surface while it gives you information about that planet.

An early build but an impressive demo and is an example of how the Rift can be used for non-gaming, like the architecture or 3D Human scan demos.

The Rift is supposed to be very nice for sim racing but the screen is an obvious let down when trying to view that distance ahead of you. Haven't played any racing games yet so can't really comment, myself.

A lot of other companies are dipping into the VR market with their own products now so next year should be very interesting for this type of hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

It can do - when I show the rollercoaster demo to friends, I make them sit down due a couple of close shaves early on!

• Advertisement

I'd absolutely love to try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My rift is being delivered this morning W00t!

They ramped up the production in the last couple weeks.

Now you just gotta wait like an excited dog for the UPS man :pac:

A reminder too is that it that the Oculus SDK may give out an error along the likes of "No USB Attached", that'll be down to something running in the background conflicting with it. In my case, it was my IR software which was for the remote control belonging to the HTPC case.

I had to open task manager and close applications running in the background one by one while plugging in the Rift's video and USB cables each time to find out who it was.

That VR nausea when you move in Tuscany is a bitch for the first time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Is it worth ordering one now?

I'd love to try it, but definitely going to wait for the HD version. Don't think i could justify getting it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I'd love to try it, but definitely going to wait for the HD version. Don't think i could justify getting it twice.

Same here. And in the meantime, we can listen to Steam's VR plans in January (although they'll be much later to market with their headset than OR).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Stev_o wrote: »
    Is it worth ordering one now?

Rumour has it that the next SDK will be out early next year. OTher rumours put it at feature complete. Other rumours put the retail version a few months behind that.

Rumours rumours rumours.

Master of the Universe

I hope all you guys have nice fancy PCs to run the HD version. Only thing which is allowing me to use the dev kit right now is the fact that the screen res is so low so my laptop can handle it :D

Well, I'm happy with my Dev Kit because I knew of it's limitations like the screen resolution though you have to expect that plus there's not a particularly big library of games supported yet, at least not with some mods to download and tweaks for a lot of them. Really, the screen resolution is my only gripe with it but not a major one at that.

I'll get the consumer version but there's nothing concrete in terms of an accurate timeline yet, it could be out any time next year but they could easily could push it back to whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I love the concept but I will not be an early adopter. I'm usually cautious like that though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Speaking as someone who only got a loan of one, & who didn't buy it {thanks again o1s1n, I'll drop it back soon I promise! :D} I can honestly say even buying the dev version is worth it. It really has to be seen to be believed. It completely succeeds at building an artificial world around your head, & tricking your senses accordingly.

The low res screens are immediately noticeable however, & I find their perfectly fine with a lot of stuff & do their job very well. It's only when you switch to more higher res games that require big draw distance, HL2 for example, where you say "ooh, ok, I'll revisit this again when the screens are better". But it's an amazing piece of kit, it really is :cool:

Myrddin wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who only got a loan of one, & who didn't buy it {thanks again o1s1n, I'll drop it back soon I promise! :D} I can honestly say even buying the dev version is worth it. It really has to be seen to be believed. It completely succeeds at building an artificial world around your head, & tricking your senses accordingly.

The low res screens are immediately noticeable however, & I find their perfectly fine with a lot of stuff & do their job very well. It's only when you switch to more higher res games that require big draw distance, HL2 for example, where you say "ooh, ok, I'll revisit this again when the screens are better". But it's an amazing piece of kit, it really is :cool:

This is why I decided not to get one. The fact that o1s1n would so readily part with it proves to me that it is currently too much of a gimmick. I briefly used it too and was blown away just as you were, but is it worth buying right now? I personally couldn't justify spending that much money if it is going to collect dust in the corner for extended periods.

God dammit why am I being so sensible... I want one now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Grimebox wrote: »
    This is why I decided not to get one. The fact that o1s1n would so readily part with it proves to me that it is currently too much of a gimmick

Ah come on, because he lent it to me means it's a gimmick?? :confused:

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ah come on, because he lent it to me means it's a gimmick?? :confused:

Hahaha! Gave me a chuckle.

Grimebox - I pine for it every day. The only reason I gave Myrddin a lend was because he's the one person on earth who was as excited about it as I was :D

It's only a gimmick if you let it be one. I've been waiting for proper VR hardware for years and am really enjoying trying out all the new demos and developments as they are released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ahem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hahaha! Gave me a chuckle.

Grimebox - I pine for it every day. The only reason I gave Myrddin a lend was because he's the one person on earth who was as excited about it as I was :D

It's only a gimmick if you let it be one. I've been waiting for proper VR hardware for years and am really enjoying trying out all the new demos and developments as they are released.

I'm enjoying testing out the demos and "experiences" as well. Some of them remind me of the good old days of the Amiga demo scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Soooooooo just wait ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Stev_o wrote: »
    Soooooooo just wait ?

If you've a spare €260 then go for it now. It's a pretty cool thing.
    Or wait until this time next year for the consumer version. It might be sooner but realistically the consumer version is a way off I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Tried at Eurogamer in October 3 times (War Thunder x2 and Surgeon Simulator) and was pretty damn amazed I have to say, could not see any borders in my peripheral vision and I must've looked like a mad man turning my head all over the place.

Rumours abound that Microsoft and Sony are working on their own consumer grade iterations so who knows what gaming will look like in a couple of years. I'd love to play the thing in conjunction with proper motion targeting using the Kinect 2.0, which is a very real possibility.

Advertisement