Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'm glad to see no ugly people own a Rift...

LMAO. Why do you think shipping was taking so long... They couldn't find some people's Facebook profile picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

2 more days and I will have mine... finally

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm glad to see no ugly people own a Rift...

It is advertising :confused:

Ugly people never own anything being advertised. Do you expect to see some fat slob walking around saying macho guff in a Boss ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Zillah wrote: »
    It is advertising :confused:

Ugly people never own anything being advertised. Do you expect to see some fat slob walking around saying macho guff in a Boss ad?

It'd make me by Boss stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Good guy, Gabe, saying it as it is.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-boss-thinks-vr-exclusives-are-bad-for-gamers/1100-6441034/
    Valve boss Gabe Newell has shared his thoughts on VR exclusives, saying they are a bad idea for gamers and developers alike. Reddit user elpollodiablo187 asked Newell for his thoughts on VR exclusives over email recently; here is the first line from Newell's response (verified by a Valve representative to GI.biz):

"We don't think exclusives are a good idea for customers or developers."

Newell went on to say that all developers face some amount of "risk" for any given project, but this is ramped up for VR developers specifically.

"There are a lot of different forms of risk--financial risk, design risk, schedule risk, organizational risk, IP risk, etc. A lot of interesting VR work is being done by new developers. That is a triple-risk whammy--a new developer creating new game mechanics on a new platform," Newell said.

The Valve founder added that one way the company is helping out is by providing funds to VR developers. What's more, these funds are not contingent on a game being released exclusively for HTC Vive, the VR headset Valve and HTC made together.

"We're in a much better position to absorb financial risk than a new VR developer, so we are happy to offset that [by] giving developers development funds (essentially pre-paid Steam revenue)," he explained. "However, there are no strings attached to those funds. They can developer for the Rift or PlayStation VR or whatever the developer thinks are the right target VR systems. Our hope is that by providing that funding that developers will be less likely to take on deals that require them to be exclusive."

Valve's stance appears to be somewhat different than the approach Oculus is taking. The Facebook-owned company has some games billed as "exclusive" to Rift, such as Lucky's Tale. Software called Revive allowed Rift "exclusives" to run on competing devices, but Oculus eventually shut this down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gaben shall lead us to the promised land.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Falthyron wrote: »
    Good guy, Gabe, saying it as it is.
    Or taking an opportunity to have a dig at a competitor. :D

Oculus really need some damage control on this exclusivity debacle. I can see why they thought it would be a good idea, they've invested a lot in VR and were seeing their thunder stolen by Valve. But they gone from champions of VR to... Well, the facebook of VR.

I think most people realise the Oculus store isn't going to stand a chance against the juggernaut that is Steam. It's easy for Valve to take the moral high ground when they have an unassailable lead in that area. It wouldn't be any harm if Valve cleaned up the usability of the Oculus Rift on their platform as well. It's clunky, buggy and they put no effort into alternative control methods considering the Rift's lack of touch controllers.

If I was at Oculus, I'd be putting resources behind finishing and delivering the touch controllers ASAP, and pushing for improvements for the rift 2.

Now I'm off to find a university that can teach me how to play Elite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Praetorian wrote: »
    I think most people realise the Oculus store isn't going to stand a chance against the juggernaut that is Steam. It's easy for Valve to take the moral high ground when they have an unassailable lead in that area. It wouldn't be any harm if Valve cleaned up the usability of the Oculus Rift on their platform as well. It's clunky, buggy and they put no effort into alternative control methods considering the Rift's lack of touch controllers.

If I was at Oculus, I'd be putting resources behind finishing and delivering the touch controllers ASAP, and pushing for improvements for the rift 2.

Now I'm off to find a university that can teach me how to play Elite :)

Yup, if VR takes off valve will already have the big best seller games that will have VR as an optional extra. Playing elder scrolls or CoD in vr would appeal to people more than the new IPs in the rift store.

Boogie's Rift unboxing and impressions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Ethan Carter VR bundle just over 11 smackers in the current Steam sale (it's also in the current Oculus sale, but it's cheaper on Steam). Very impressive experience if you have the horsepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Decided to upgrade the Dk2 to latest runtime + oculus home $hite.

Been trying to install lucky's tale for the last 3 hours. So glad i didn't get a CV1. Install never gets past 33% and I've looked up all fixes online and none work. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

My CV1 has shipped! Finally! It should be here by Friday.

Have to say, after such a long wait I'm really dying to get stuck into it and see how big a difference it is from the DK2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Doge

Just had a cool idea on a cheap holder for the rift / vive.

You can buy these polystyrene full sized mannequin / dummy heads for cheap on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Polystyrene-Black-Foam-Male-Mannequin-Dummy-Stand-Model-Shop-Display-Head-New-/390872796521?hash=item5b01d58d69:g:oEMAAOxyIv5TlSFv

More choices

010434_zpsff618e23.jpg

0104342_zps2524ff8c.jpg

If you're worried about them tipping over you can buy a special clamp for them, heres the cheapest one on Aliexpress $3.85 delivered:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Brand-New-Adjustable-Hair-Salon-Hairdressing-Clamp-Training-Black-Head-Mannequin-Holder-Free-Shipping/32523682099.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.45.W3QnLi&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_2_10017_405_301_507,searchweb201603_1&btsid=5bac2ff2-ec63-4aa4-873c-8b07cac5aef7

Brand-New-Adjustable-Hair-Salon-Hairdressing-Clamp-Training-Black-Head-Mannequin-Holder-Free-Shipping.jpg

I have no idea if theres a hole in the base of the mannequin head I posted already, but it cant be that hard to cut one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Think I read about two reasons thats not a good idea. One applies to both Rift and Vive and one only applies to the Rift.

With the HMD on the mannequin head for longer than its not, the faceplate foam will conform , compress and eventually 'Remember' the shape of the Mannequin face and not yours if you get me.

The proximity sensor in the Rift that turns the HMD screens on and off when you put on and take off the Rift will be permanently activated on the mannequin head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Doge

Calibos wrote: »
    Think I read about two reasons thats not a good idea. One applies to both Rift and Vive and one only applies to the Rift.

With the HMD on the mannequin head for longer than its not, the faceplate foam will conform , compress and eventually 'Remember' the shape of the Mannequin face and not yours if you get me.

The proximity sensor in the Rift that turns the HMD screens on and off when you put on and take off the Rift will be permanently activated on the mannequin head.

Can you not leave it loose on the head so it does not compress?

Shame about the proximity sensor, if anything I'll get to use this as a headphone stand anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Nice man, the clamp looks the job too, let us know how you get on

Mine finally arrived. And it appears Oculus have eaten the 70 euro shipping fee themselves and not charged me which is a nice gesture I suppose.

Barely had a chance to test it out yet but the screen is pretty damned impressive. Much improved over the DK2. And I can't get over how light it is. It barely weighs anything. So much lighter than previous incarnations.

I'll report back more when I've but some miles on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Kirby wrote: »
    Mine finally arrived. And it appears Oculus have eaten the 70 euro shipping fee themselves and not charged me which is a nice gesture I suppose.

Barely had a chance to test it out yet but the screen is pretty damned impressive. Much improved over the DK2. And I can't get over how light it is. It barely weighs anything. So much lighter than previous incarnations.

I'll report back more when I've but some miles on it. :D

Oculus have free shipping for anyone who pre-ordered or (I believe) ordered in the first couple of weeks after launch, to make up for their f*cked up launch.

Just a warning for people with glasses. If you have a wide pair, you will struggle to fit them in. I have two pairs. One fits. The other does not. There is plenty of room between your head and the lenses for the glasses......but the headset is not wide enough for some glasses. The issue is width, not depth.

Something to keep in mind for the visually impaired. It's smaller than the DK2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

the screen is pretty damned impressive. Much improved over the DK2

Wait til you get a load of those god rays. I seriously nearly put mine up on Adverts the day it arrived. I seem to get them particularly bad (possibly due to laser corrective surgery), but I find certain apps (e.g. cinema mode in the Video app, or anything else with bright light against a dark background) pretty close to unusable.

Think I would have been happy enough with DK2-level resolution (combined with the improved refresh and tracking) if it meant doing away with the fresnel lenses.

Wait til you get a load of those god rays. I seriously nearly put mine up on Adverts the day it arrived. I seem to get them particularly bad (possibly due to laser corrective surgery), but I find certain apps (e.g. cinema mode in the Video app, or anything else with bright light against a dark background) pretty close to unusable.

Think I would have been happy enough with DK2-level resolution (combined with the improved refresh and tracking) if it meant doing away with the fresnel lenses.

It's a very personal thing I think.

It took me quite a while to even spot them, when I did it was annoying in a very small number of situations.

Just a warning for people with glasses. If you have a wide pair, you will struggle to fit them in. I have two pairs. One fits. The other does not. There is plenty of room between your head and the lenses for the glasses......but the headset is not wide enough for some glasses. The issue is width, not depth.

Something to keep in mind for the visually impaired. It's smaller than the DK2.

If someone has glasses I'd recommend the Vive. It has an adjustment on the headset for users with glasses. Fits easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How does the CV1 compare to the DK1? I only ever used the DK1, & while it was hugely impressive, the pixelation let it down pretty badly. Is the screen on the CV1 less pixelated?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Guys is there any shop or wherever in Dublin where you can try out the CV1?

Myrddin wrote: »
    How does the CV1 compare to the DK1? I only ever used the DK1, & while it was hugely impressive, the pixelation let it down pretty badly. Is the screen on the CV1 less pixelated?

A lot less so. The only time I've ever even noticed the pixels or screen door is during text in games. For the rest of the gameplay, I don't notice it at all. I never had the DK1 but own the DK2 and I have them side by side for comparison and there is a big improvement. You will notice it a lot in movies as the resolution of movies is usually a lot lower than in games and it will have artifacts because of compression. Unless it comes straight from a bluray, I wouldnt watch a movie with it. Gaming however, is a whole other story. I've been thoroughly impressed.

The godrays are there alright but only appear in very dark scenes, where the entire screen is black with something really light in the middle. Like maybe looking at a sun in space or a lightbulb in a dark room.

Tbh the DK2 didnt have them at all so I was surprised to see them on a commercial version but they dont bother me surprisingly. I thought they would because of all the drama caused by them online and I tend to focus on flaws like that but I dont notice it in 99% of situations.

One thing they need is an official video player that can play videos from any folder....not just one dedicated one. That's irritating and something other VR media players can do.

I don't actually see Godrays in Elite Dangerous, I was a bit worried about that as it could ruin the space sightseeing! Thankfully not an issue for me. One thing I have seen recommended though is playing project cars with the weather se to overcast - again not the worst compromise in the world especially if you're racing in the UK!

Have you tried Whilygig? It's my media player of choice.

I used Whirligig in my early days of DK2 usage but I find their cv1 version very clunky, unwieldy, and awkward to be honest. It's more difficult to navigate it now than it was a year ago....and thats not a good thing.

There is no perfect.....or near perfect VR media player out there yet. One will come eventually.

Myrddin wrote: »

There is a very significant improvement between DK1 and CV1 from a visual experience. Cv1 can be truly immersive. The touch controllers are badly needed though. I can imagine a future version with far higher resolution being a very positive improvement. Of course AMD / Nvidia need to keep making the big jumps in GPU power to push all of those pixels at 90hz +. I can foresee a high end headset being popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

So there is no more plans for Google to create its own Oculus Rift?

Advertisement