Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Summary? What's this about?

Zenimax doesnt want 500m from Facebook, as it's nothing to them.

They was Oculus shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Summary? What's this about?

You want a summary? :confused:

nameplate-for-center-for-kids-who-cant-read-good.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bambi wrote: »
    You want a summary? :confused:

nameplate-for-center-for-kids-who-cant-read-good.jpg
    Why are Zenimax suing over the oculus? Do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Why are Zenimax suing over the oculus? Do you know?

Because some of the code used was learned by employee(s) who then moved to occulus and used that knowledge and some of the code to develop the rift.

And xenimax is now trying to block all sales of the rift in america because of the coding used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

Skatedude wrote: »
    Because some of the code used was learned by employee(s) who then moved to occulus and used that knowledge and some of the code to develop the rift.

And xenimax is now trying to block all sales of the rift in america because of the coding used.

John Carmack of all people, filled a usb key on his way out the door of ZeniMax to take his new position at Occulus

Wossack wrote: »
    John Carmack of all people, filled a usb key on his way out the door of ZeniMax to take his new position at Occulus

well, that is theft really. If you dont own it.

Wossack wrote: »
    John Carmack of all people

Not John "previous conviction for theft" Carmack? Say it aint so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What ever the outcome he was right to do it, was probably his code in the first place. VR would still be stuck at the tomy tronic without Oculus bringing it back from the dead.

How critical is this piece of code, they were lucky to get 1/2 a billion, bit cheeky to say there due all the credit and probably after the full 2 Billion Facebook paid.

• Advertisement

How critical is this piece of code, they were lucky to get 1/2 a billion, bit cheeky to say there due all the credit and probably after the full 2 Billion Facebook paid.

Suppose it depends on the code that was written. Like the first Complier code worked on by Grace Hopper. Just depends on how valuable it is. Or what it could be used for. Take that code which can land a jet using ILS.

Code can be worth a lot of money in the right hands, and extremely valuable to varying companies. Suppose taking code is like taking company research, secrets or vital intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The guy who left Googles autonomous car division to join Uber basically fleeced all of Googles code before he left, they have him googling how to do it beforehand and how to wipe the laptop he did it with afterwards, he's probably looking at a jail cell.

Thargor wrote: »
    The guy who left Googles autonomous car division to join Uber basically fleeced all of Googles code before he left, they have him googling how to do it beforehand and how to wipe the laptop he did it with afterwards, he's probably looking at a jail cell.

Michael Abrash was the head of Valves VR group and he insisted that Valve give prototypes of the Valve headset to Oculus

A few weeks later facebook bought oculus and abrash and some of his team joined oculus.

One Valve employee said ""I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it.""

There was a lot skullduggery going on with oculus it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Been playing Ultrawings, if you liked Pilotwings on SNES/N64 you'll like it. Really good feeling of being very high in the air. Best flight VR I've tried so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Michael Abrash was the head of Valves VR group and he insisted that Valve give prototypes of the Valve headset to Oculus

A few weeks later facebook bought oculus and abrash and some of his team joined oculus.
    I've been following the oculus rift for years. Oculus pushed the VR market long before anyone else seemed to show an interest and they're headset was in development for a long time. No body seemed to have an issue with oculus until Facebook bought them out and they released a consumer headset. I don't remember hearing anything about it during the development anyway.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've been following the oculus rift for years. Oculus pushed the VR market long before anyone else seemed to show an interest and they're headset was in development for a long time. No body seemed to have an issue with oculus until Facebook bought them out and they released a consumer headset. I don't remember hearing anything about it during the development anyway.

Valve were working on VR in early 2012. Oculus were founded in mid 2012 :D

The facebook buy out was probably a turning point but both luckey and carmack come across as morally flexible types to me.

Valve were working on VR in early 2012. Oculus were founded in mid 2012 :D
    From what I remember Valve were working on VR with no real intention of releasing a product until Oculus came along and showed there was big interest in VR.

Maybe something untowards did happen, but as far as I can remember no one was talking about VR until oculus came onto the scene, this all seems like a bit of sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

If he took code from ZeniMax and used it to help develop the Oculus, then they can have no complaints. It's theft, simple as.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Rift + Touch is now only $600 in the US. Still €708 on the Rift store though. Guess it hasn't changed in Europe?

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-is-dropping-the-price-of-the-rift-and-touch-controllers-to-600/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kiith wrote: »
    The Rift + Touch is now only $600 in the US. Still €708 on the Rift store though. Guess it hasn't changed in Europe?

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-is-dropping-the-price-of-the-rift-and-touch-controllers-to-600/

600 dollars is about 700 euro once you add VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Guess i'll wait till in in the US to buy it (or the Vive) i guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Remember to factor in sales tax, if any, for where you are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Kiith wrote: »

Presumably this price cut will also follow through in EU - can't imagine they will limit the cut to US only.

I had been planning to wait for the Win 10 HMDs which are due out this year, but this might tempt me to take the plunge. My PC will run a rift, but the purchase price has been deterring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

the price drop is interesting alright. I took a gamble and purchased the PSVR headset and got it working with Steam. I've had great success with the Steam VR based games, like Elite and Project Cars and even had good success using the move controllers as fake Steam controllers. So far no joy using Vorpix with non VR games though, just can't get the lenses to line up good enough.

For me its a less steep price point to get the experience but also much easier to resell due to all the PS4 owners already out there.

Of course there's a price drop now, I just paid for mine yesterday..

ondafly wrote: »
    the price drop is interesting alright. I took a gamble and purchased the PSVR headset and got it working with Steam. I've had great success with the Steam VR based games, like Elite and Project Cars and even had good success using the move controllers as fake Steam controllers. So far no joy using Vorpix with non VR games though, just can't get the lenses to line up good enough.

For me its a less steep price point to get the experience but also much easier to resell due to all the PS4 owners already out there.

How did you do this - get it working with steam VR. Is there third party software that does the trick?

I have Elite Dangerous (though haven't played it in ages) - I figure it would be great in VR.

Must actually re-install it and log in on new pc before i completely forget my account.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course there's a price drop now, I just paid for mine yesterday..

Did you buy it online? You can return it no questions asked in first 14 days if so. You would have to pay the return postage.

Even easier if you were to cancel before it ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

Fian wrote: »
    How did you do this - get it working with steam VR. Is there third party software that does the trick?

I have Elite Dangerous (though haven't played it in ages) - I figure it would be great in VR.

Must actually re-install it and log in on new pc before i completely forget my account.

Yes trinus psvr. You can download a trial if it and test with your setup before purchase. For the ps move controllers there is a free tool on GitHub called psmoveservice and works well. Some good setup vids on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Touch controllers are on amazon France for €119, there's some in the warehouse from €105. https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B01LSZCU6M/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1488485035&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=oculus+rift

BBC news article wouldn't exactly inspire you to run out and buy one http://bgr.com/2017/03/02/oculus-rift-price-drop-2017/
    HTC aren't dropping the price to match oculus they've said today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

What BBC news article??

Who the hell is Mike Wehner and BGR??

Advertisement