Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭Doge

ondafly wrote: »
    the price drop is interesting alright. I took a gamble and purchased the PSVR headset and got it working with Steam. I've had great success with the Steam VR based games, like Elite and Project Cars and even had good success using the move controllers as fake Steam controllers. So far no joy using Vorpix with non VR games though, just can't get the lenses to line up good enough.

For me its a less steep price point to get the experience but also much easier to resell due to all the PS4 owners already out there.

Are you using Trinus VR and the ps3 eye camera for head tracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

Doge wrote: »
    Are you using Trinus VR and the ps3 eye camera for head tracking?

I've only used Trinus PSVR to track the headset, I use the PS3 eye camera with PSMoveService to track the move controllers and make them usable in SteamVR controller games.

Loads of youtube videos detailing the setup and so far its going well. If you are up for a bit of tinkering then its well worth it.

ondafly wrote: »
    I've only used Trinus PSVR to track the headset, I use the PS3 eye camera with PSMoveService to track the move controllers and make them usable in SteamVR controller games.

Loads of youtube videos detailing the setup and so far its going well. If you are up for a bit of tinkering then its well worth it.

So you have head rotation via the gyroscope but no head tracking?

I've heard of other people using multiple ps3 cameras for the head tracking with Trinus PSVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

So you have head rotation via the gyroscope but no head tracking?

I've heard of other people using multiple ps3 cameras for the head tracking with Trinus PSVR.

Yes I believe so. As you don't lean forward say in the car in Project Cars. I actually have 3 PS3 cameras, but haven't gotten around to setting them up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

now £598 on amazon.co.uk for rift and touch controllers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-Rift-Touch-Controller/dp/B01MCRY3Q7/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1488796367&sr=1-2&keywords=oculus+rift

£499 for rift alone.

Still steep compared to $598 for rift and touch in us, but i guess taxes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Fian wrote: »
    now £598 on amazon.co.uk for rift and touch controllers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-Rift-Touch-Controller/dp/B01MCRY3Q7/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1488796367&sr=1-2&keywords=oculus+rift

£499 for rift alone.

Still steep compared to $598 for rift and touch in us, but i guess taxes..

US list prices don't include state taxes because each state has different or no sales tax. The €708 over here includes customs and vat adding up to 23-24%, so we're not getting shafted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Every Oculus Touch owner has tried it....because its FREEEEE!!!!

Fantastic game. Mind Blowing graphics. Mad hectic Fun Fun Fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

^^^^
    Ok 4.14 in actually made me laugh way too hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Got my touch controllers earlier this week. Robo recall is good, tiring though. 15 min sessions leave me wrecked!

• Advertisement

Another fantastic FREE experience for Rift+Touch owners released by Oculus today. Mission ISS.

Make sure to click the Gear icon top right on the tablet to enter the settings menu and turn graphics detail up to high and switch on Two Handed Rotation.

Locomotion is then grabbing handholds, equipment etc and pulling your weightless body through the station or pushing yourself off from same. Similar to the Summer 2017 Space Station Robot game Lone Echo and very much like The Climb too. Explore the inside of the ISS, Do a Spacewalk and use the robot arm to dock a supply module.

Absolutely stunning experience. This is what VR is all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone into the Gorillaz, just released a VR tune https://youtu.be/lVaBvyzuypw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Anyone into the Gorillaz, just released a VR tune https://youtu.be/lVaBvyzuypw

Is there a 3d vr download for this? I'm over the 360 youtube vids now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Bought the rift starter pack off Amazon last night. I'm expecting it to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to get it setup and give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

So got my rift today and used it for a bit. The experience is certainly good and I would recommend it. However, my graphics card is not great. I bought a Dell XPS 8900 at the end of 2015 and it has the bog standard card.

Can anyone recommend a better graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm assuming your XPS 8900 has a 9 series generation Nvidia card as in 970gtx or less? You would probably want at least a 1070 to get a decent experience. It looks like your XPS 8900 can run a 1070 too:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19985872

Bought the rift starter pack off Amazon last night. I'm expecting it to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to get it setup and give it a go!

Why did you get the starter pack? Did you need the in-ear headphones for some reason? I'm glad to see you have the Touch controllers though. I've had my Rift since May, finally got to use it in August when my 2 month delayed GTX1080 finally arrived and while already amazing went next level when Touch was released in December. Was this your first VR experience or had you already demo'd Rift or Vive or tried gearVR/phone based VR? Any questions ask away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So got my rift today and used it for a bit. The experience is certainly good and I would recommend it. However, my graphics card is not great. I bought a Dell XPS 8900 at the end of 2015 and it has the bog standard card.

Can anyone recommend a better graphics card?
    I got a 1070 and it seems perfectly capable. It's not the bottleneck in my system anyway, that's the CPU an i7 2600k, I had to overclock it just to get a steady frame rate.

Would getting a second card and doing SLI be an option? Might be a slightly cheaper route.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Darwin wrote: »
    I'm assuming your XPS 8900 has a 9 series generation Nvidia card as in 970gtx or less? You would probably want at least a 1070 to get a decent experience. It looks like your XPS 8900 can run a 1070 too:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19985872

I have a 1070 and it's a lovely card, but I wouldn't say "at least" - my old 770 did a perfectly fine job with a whole bunch of games for the Vive.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Would getting a second card and doing SLI be an option? Might be a slightly cheaper route.

SLI is generally a bad idea these days, games aren't optimised for it. In some examples the frame rate is actually worse. You'd imagine VR could do one card per eye but no one has made it work well yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Zillah I'm sure lesser cards would also work, but in the tech more is generally better if budget permits. I bought my Rift mostly for sim racing, and some titles allow you to tweak supersampling rates, for which a more powerful GPU will handle things better. Also Pascal cards contain tech specifically for VR such as lens matched shading and single pass stereo (basically both views of a stereo scene can be rendered in one pass). So if the OP has the funds, a 1070 would indeed be a good investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Darwin wrote: »
    @Zillah I'm sure lesser cards would also work, but in the tech more is generally better if budget permits. I bought my Rift mostly for sim racing, and some titles allow you to tweak supersampling rates, for which a more powerful GPU will handle things better. Also Pascal cards contain tech specifically for VR such as lens matched shading and single pass stereo (basically both views of a stereo scene can be rendered in one pass). So if the OP has the funds, a 1070 would indeed be a good investment.

Yes it would; I was just pointing out that saying "at least a 1070" isn't exactly accurate. 1070 is way above the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.1 Highlights

Support for Oculus' Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) on Radeon R9 Fury series, Radeon R9 390 series and Radeon R9 290 series graphics products. ASW compares previously rendered frames, detects the motion between them, and extrapolates the position of scene components to create a new synthetic frame. This technology helps avoid dropped frames and can provide an overall smoother VR experience on the Oculus Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've disabled Asynchronous Spacewarp, I was having some weird behaviour in Assetto Corsa where it would jump between 45fps and 90fps with no in between if it could get a steady 90fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Inviere

In terms of gfx cards, is a 1060 too weak to properly run the rift? If so, will a 1070 cut it, or would I be better looking toward a 1080? I know Vega drops soon, so will hold off on anything until more is known, but just asking from an Nvidia perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Inviere wrote: »
    In terms of gfx cards, is a 1060 too weak to properly run the rift? If so, will a 1070 cut it, or would I be better looking toward a 1080? I know Vega drops soon, so will hold off on anything until more is known, but just asking from an Nvidia perspective
    1070 will be good, I'm using a 980Ti which has similar performance and everything runs excellently except Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim 2 which are CPU bound, you just get slight judder sometimes in cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Yeah, a 1070 or 980Ti would be best bang for buck, you'll be able to play with pixel density to up the visuals to the next level.

For the benefit of anyone watching that. Both Rift and Vive look a hell of a lot better resolution/SDE wise in reality compared to those photo's.

As for the subject of the video. Its genius if they can get it to work but we don't know what the downsides are. Up till now we've seen talk of these type of OLED Microdisplays for use in HMD's in the conventional sense. ie. one of these per eye with a lens in front. The Rift and Vive use larger formfactor Custom Size/Res Phone screen displays/wafers with a lens in front. The OLED Microdisplays have a much higher Pixel per Inch but they are smaller and you have to magnify them more and it makes getting a decent FOV for the optics harder. However what these guys are talking about is having conventional displays but also having these microdisplays mounted in the roof of the HMD and projected via mirrors over the lower resolution main display. So instead of the resolution of these microdisplays having to be spread across the entire FOV if used conventionally, you project their image over the main display and are only spreading those microdisplay pixels over the area of your foveal vision which is much less than the full FOV. You need perfect low latency eyetracking and low latency lightguide to move the image of the microdisplay around fast enough. However one might find that variable focus and depth of field is not possible with this technique and it might turn out that the trade off isn't worth it. ie. That it might be of more benefit to the user to have variable focus sooner rather than later at the cost of not achieving super high res as soon as this technique would allow. They're targetting the commercial high end with this for now anyway. The Sony Microdisplays they used for this are something like €900 just by themselves! What I takeaway from it though is that Eyetracking must be almost good enough at this point if these guys are considering basing a moving projected microdisplay system around it and if the eyetracking is good enough for that use case its definitely good enough for Foveated Rendering. Its just another datapoint amongst several others like Oculus, Valve/HTC and now Microsoft all delaying their new HMD's (the XboX VR HMD, not the Mixed Reality ones) till early 2019. They are all obviously waiting for the transformative Keystone technology of Eyetracking with Foveated Rendering to be ready before they release their Gen 2 HMD's

For the uninformed Eyetracking with Foveated Rendering utilises the fact that your eye can actually only see a tiny portion of your vision in full resolution

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4dsXzM

Maximise the Video player screen. All the little multicolour cogs are turning but only in the area of your Foveal vision can you 'SEE' them turning. Your brain fills in the gaps so to speak in the rest of your peripheral vision but that best guess does not include moving cogs!! Look at how tiny that area is relative to the full area of the screen. Thats the only part of the image that has to be rendered by the graphics card at full resolution. All the rest can be rendered at a lower res. A conventional game on a conventional monitor, the GPU has to render every single pixel at high res. With Foveated Rendering all the GPU needs to know is exactly which part of the screen to render at full res at any given time. For that you need very fast and reliable eyetracking. When we have eyetracking and Foveated rendering in our VR HMD's we'll be able to increase res massively without requiring a supercomputer to run it. With much more res to play with, we'll also be able to increase the FOV up to the limits of current optical technology. Foveated rendering also dramatically lessens the video bandwidth required and makes HIGH RES Wireless HMD's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm really not buying into a concept that's going to cost a 4 figure sum for the retail version just to add some weird extra complexity to foveated rendering

• Advertisement

Rift+Touch on sale till the end of the Summer for €450

https://www.oculus.com/rift/

ie. Half the Price of Vive and its arguably better in most ways that matter.

Advertisement