Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's stupidly tempting. I don't have the money...but still :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kiith wrote: »
    It's stupidly tempting. I don't have the money...but still :P

do it.........

Sure be silly not to.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm in the US next week, where it's only $399. There wouldn't be any issues getting it there and bringing it back, would there? Cause for €350, i don't think i could say no.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Someone in the BA forum said amazon.com are giving $100 gift cards with that deal, so you'd be getting it for under €300 (.co.uk aren't doing this apparently).

The question on everyone's lips though is how many can you fit in your suit case? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm in the US next week, where it's only $399. There wouldn't be any issues getting it there and bringing it back, would there? Cause for €350, i don't think i could say no.

Import duty I believe is technically due.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Buy it, but leave the boxes behind and store it in your hold luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought one anyway at that price. I actually sold my previous CV1 to a guy on the B&U forum but forget who....but even the 2nd hand price a few months ago covers this new one with the touch controllers fully :)

Bit concerned though that two of the biggest games coming up are Vive only (Doom and Fallout 4). Still though...at that price, can't argue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I bought one anyway at that price. I actually sold my previous CV1 to a guy on the B&U forum but forget who....but even the 2nd hand price a few months ago covers this new one with the touch controllers fully :)

Bit concerned though that two of the biggest games coming up are Vive only (Doom and Fallout 4). Still though...at that price, can't argue at all.

I'd imagine people will find a way to make them backward compatible with the rift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

There's a little file you can download and stick in any game folder to trick it into thinking the Rift is a Vive. Works just fine, only difference is your Touch controllers show as Vive wands.

It'll be modded in minutes and the HMD should have realised that and focused on an open standard. Yes Oculus I'm looking at you despite being a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

It'll be modded in minutes and the HMD should have realised that and focused on an open standard. Yes Oculus I'm looking at you despite being a fan.

They are focused on an Open Standard. Its called OpenXR from the Khronos Inititaive. Oculus and Valve amongst others are founding members. They simply didn't want Valves OpenVR to become the default standard , a standard which Valve controlled and they would have no input into. OpenVR is 'Open' in name only.

Theres no US sales tax included in that $399 price. Will you not have to pay US sales tax if bringing it out of the country or something?

But, But..........the Oculus boxes are so Lovely!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,018 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Calibos wrote: »
    Theres no US sales tax included in that $399 price. Will you not have to pay US sales tax if bringing it out of the country or something?

How can they tax something you 'brought over' with you?

If you brought your laptop would they tax that on the way back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

This, if you can have someone post you the boxes later, they're needed for warranty( they ask to send everything back in the box + serial number is on the box )

o1s1n wrote: »
    How can they tax something you 'brought over' with you?

If you brought your laptop would they tax that on the way back?

He's asking about buying in the states. While the USD price is 399 that does not include state sales tax. I am basically asking him if its like Oz where you pay the state sales tax when purchasing the item but can claim it back at customs in the Airport upon exiting the country.

Him throwing away the boxes and lying to Irish Customs when he comes back with it that its not something he bought in the US but something he brought over with him from Ireland is irrelevant. I make no judgement about that. My mother may or may not have brought me back a brand new boxless iPad from OZ a few years ago. Customs didn't ask, mother dearest didn't tell ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

Sorry if it's already been asked but couldn't find anything.

I'm having an issue getting it shipped to my work address in Dublin, but the help isn't really useful since it even mentions mainland stuff. https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1765210220427179

Did anyone here run into this issue? I used the same one that I use with every other site and never had an issue like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, how long do Oculus generally take to dispatch stuff? I know they are busy ATM but my order is still in the processing stage and payment was taken from my card on Monday.

Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

So, how long do Oculus generally take to dispatch stuff? I know they are busy ATM but my order is still in the processing stage and payment was taken from my card on Monday.

Anybody know?

Was just about to ask that. Ordered mine yesterday morning but payment hasn't been taken out of my card yet

Was just about to ask that. Ordered mine yesterday morning but payment hasn't been taken out of my card yet

I guess they must be just extremely busy with orders now. Hopefully later today or tomorrow it's sent.

Anyone know if you have to sign for the package or is it standard post? Not going to get it if I have to sign as I work during the day. Signing for stuff is a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

If you order form the oculus website do you need to pay import tax? The rift+controller bundle costs £410 delivered, from amazon.co.uk - that is about €462.50 or so. Which is the best value site to buy it from?

My pc will run it though my gtx 970 could probably be improved upon. But other components are all fine. I will probably want to defer new graphics card for a while if I can.

Will have to convince my wife but I think at this price it is hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

There's no customs or VAT to be added onto the price of buying from the Oculus Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lulzordan wrote: »
    Sorry if it's already been asked but couldn't find anything.

I'm having an issue getting it shipped to my work address in Dublin, but the help isn't really useful since it even mentions mainland stuff. https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1765210220427179

Did anyone here run into this issue? I used the same one that I use with every other site and never had an issue like this
    It should work, i had my multiple rift's shipped to my work address.
    The only thing which Oculus will not ship to is forwarding addresses like parcel motel. If you have issues contact their support theyre, might take a day though as i assume theyre busy.

Fian wrote: »
    If you order form the oculus website do you need to pay import tax? The rift+controller bundle costs £410 delivered, from amazon.co.uk - that is about €462.50 or so. Which is the best value site to buy it from?

My pc will run it though my gtx 970 could probably be improved upon. But other components are all fine. I will probably want to defer new graphics card for a while if I can.

Will have to convince my wife but I think at this price it is hard to resist.

970 is fine to get you started especially with the VR 'experiences' such as they are. You may want to upgrade eventually for AAA titles like Elite Dangerous but it can safely be deferred IMO I started with an R9 290 and it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anybody know?
    I have €1 taken from my account :confused: what's the deal with that?

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I have €1 taken from my account :confused: what's the deal with that?

Test charge to make sure its a valid card. It'll be refunded. Perfectly normal though it can trigger fraud detection systems in some banks. I always get a text from AIB asking to click Y/N if I recognise the charge or words to that effect when I order from Oculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Test charge to make sure its a valid card. It'll be refunded. Perfectly normal.
    Phew, thought something went wrong with my order. Thanks :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Test charge to make sure its a valid card. It'll be refunded. Perfectly normal though it can trigger fraud detection systems in some banks. I always get a text from AIB asking to click Y/N if I recognise the charge or words to that effect when I order from Oculus.

Never heard of that before. Amazon took £1 when i signed up for a free trial of prime so that must be the same thing (no sign of it being refunded though).

Still waiting for this to be dispatched. Took payment 4 days ago now. Very back for a sale/impulse buy.

How do I cancel my order? Their website is very customer unfriendly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Very tempted by this lads. Is there any rumours of a newer version coming out at the end of the year? If not I can't turn down this price.

Is there any benefit to buying it from Oculus instead of Amazon?

Advertisement