Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nope. Mine doesn't have an internal HDMI port. Its a regular Palit Super Jetstream GTX1080 (That I plastidipped white a few weeks ago)

AfL4cnU.jpg

The Inline Front Panel thing we both bought comes with a PCI blanking plate with a hole in it to run the HDMI cable through from inside the case out to the regular HDMI port on the back of the GPU. You can see it back left of the case in this photo in the last PCI slot.

l5ahkhP.jpg

You could also route it out the back through the water cooling hole as you said. Which you end up doing depends on your cases size, the length of the cable and aesthetics I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    I'd love to know the new sales figures for the Rift after the price decrease.

Seems like peolple everywhere are buying the, up.

The future of VR needs it imo.

422557.JPG

Wow. Never knew the sales figures for rhe Rift were that low before the price decrease.

You can clearly see now why they went ahead with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

422557.JPG

Wow. Never knew the sales figures for rhe Rift were that low before the price decrease.

When it was at the same price point as the Vive people bought the Vive, think they had to drop the price to woo people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

PSVR sales are impressive all the same, it definitely suggests that lower price points = more sales when it comes to VR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fooking delighted to see almost 2 million units of the PSVR in the wild. I don't really care who 'wins' VR as long as someone does. The technology is fantastic and developers (and people with motion sickness) will need to get over it. Sometimes there are things (like normal computer games and epilepsy) than renders something inaccessible. I'm all for the market trying to accommodate as many people as possible, but some of the decisions on locomotion have been a bit suspect. I'm really hoping the sales of FO4:VR bear this out.

• Advertisement

Fooking delighted to see almost 2 million units of the PSVR in the wild. I don't really care who 'wins' VR as long as someone does. The technology is fantastic and developers (and people with motion sickness) will need to get over it. Sometimes there are things (like normal computer games and epilepsy) than renders something inaccessible. I'm all for the market trying to accommodate as many people as possible, but some of the decisions on locomotion have been a bit suspect. I'm really hoping the sales of FO4:VR bear this out.

trackpad locomotion or f**k off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think Oculus were really hurt by the delay in touch controllers. PSVR I think was a sure-fire thing, as so many people already had PS4's and it's the ultimate in plug and play, for a lot of people the Oculus/Vive is simply too expensive, especially considering a lot of people would have needed new GPU's as well and many would also not have had USB3 boards either. It's far more niche.

Interesting to see the Gear VR figures. In fairness, it is a deadly headset. Watching movies/TV on it is actually way better than the Rift due to the higher resolution, and their exclusive Netflix app is very cool. Games aren't half bad either considering what it is.

I think Oculus were really hurt by the delay in touch controllers. PSVR I think was a sure-fire thing, as so many people already had PS4's and it's the ultimate in plug and play, for a lot of people the Oculus/Vive is simply too expensive, especially considering a lot of people would have needed new GPU's as well and many would also not have had USB3 boards either. It's far more niche.

Interesting to see the Gear VR figures. In fairness, it is a deadly headset. Watching movies/TV on it is actually way better than the Rift due to the higher resolution, and their exclusive Netflix app is very cool. Games aren't half bad either considering what it is.

Vive doesn't need USB 3 though

Probably far to say the initial market the Vive And Oculus were aimed at are the very people who'll spend money on a decent spec PC

I'd be really interested to see what the figures are like after the summer discounts and now that the touch is out. I was (probably in a previous incarnation) quite critical of motion controllers and still don't use them to a massive degree BUT they are fun when I do use them! I'm on a HOTAS most of the time and even the best touch controller won't replace that, a glove or something could augment it though in an amazing way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think Oculus were really hurt by the delay in touch controllers.
    Possibly in their competition with the vive as a complete VR solution but I choose the rift because it suited my needs better and I felt like giving my money to oculus because regardless of lawsuits no one was talking about VR until oculus came along and made it happen.

I still haven't gotten touch controllers because I use VR for sim racing, I had a practical application for VR and the rift was the best solution. I know a good few people on sim racing forums bit the bullet and bought the rift with these sales but I wouldn't be surprised if 300,000 sales covers the majority of sim racers/flyers.

VR headsets are still expensive, the people in the sim community that haven't upgraded bought their computer 2 years ago and while it could run VR they'd be running at low settings compared to running high settings on a triple screen setup. So they're another 2 years or so off the switch to VR making financial sense.

I think computers need to catch up, the price of the rift is one thing but the price of upgrades is going to almost double the cost of any VR headset. Even the CPU requirements are really high. I think we're another GPU generation off VR being available to the general public. The VR companies are going to have to ride out this initial phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Yup I'm a sim racer too and at this price I've taken the plunge, no chance I was buying it at normal price or the vive for that matter as all I'll use it for is sims. I'll probably sell the touch controllers.

Just to keep Thargor updated as I know he's keen to hear, ordered yesterday, had to faff about with my address myself to get it confirmed, have done that but no sign of it shipping yet.

Neither Valve/HTC nor Oculus have published official Sales figures for Rift or Vive. Those Superdata numbers have been widely debunked as based on nothing more than some steam stat mining. Most Rifters stick to Oculus Home despite having the option of using SteamVR. Many Devs have come out and said that they are seeing equal sales of their Apps to both Vive and Rift.

That said, there is no doubt that Vive has likely sold more than Rift up to this point as China and chinese VR arcades are a big 'home' market for Taiwanese company HTC where Rift is barred from Sale, but the sales ratio is not 2:1 as reported by some and as trumpeted by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I get now how the people who initially ordered CV1 felt waiting for the Rift not only to arrive, but to actually ship. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

422557.JPG

The Gear VR isn't a rival. It's an Oculus Product running Oculus Software.

You'd think the journalist from the Wall Street Journal would have noticed you have to boot up "Oculus Home" to even use the thing.

There are no official figures for either the Rift or Vive. I'd consider the entire thing poorly put together nonsense.

Korvanica wrote: »
    I get now how the people who initially ordered CV1 felt waiting for the Rift not only to arrive, but to actually ship. :pac:

That 'unforeseen component shortage' back at launch and the resulting delay caused a lot of lost/cancelled sales switching to Vive back in the day. Some called Oculus 'Amateurs' for allowing this to happen. Being in my 40's I was a lot more sanguine about the situation. Time proved me somewhat correct.

I received my 'April Estimated Rift' on May 28th 2016. I had built my gaming PC back in April and was going to have to buy a placeholder GPU to tie me over till the GTX1080 launched. The Rift Shipping delay meant I didn't have to waste money on a placeholder GPU after all and could go straight to the GTX1080.

I excitedly purchased a GTX1080 on launch day on May 27th a day before my Rift arrived. We all know what happened with the nVidia GTX1080 launch!! I finally received my GTX1080 on......August 10th 2016!!! An 'unforeseen component shortage' had meant that a tech giant with 2 decades of experience in manufacture, distribution and shipping of high tech electronics had made me wait two and a half months. Oculus' shipping woes didn't look so bad in comparison!!

TLDR: My Rift was delayed 5 or so weeks. My GTX1080 that I needed to be able to use the Rift was delayed a further 11!! I got my first taste of VR 16 weeks after I was expecting to!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just ordered it. Probably shouldn't have, as i'm not sure i have the money to burn, but **** it. I'll be broke for a month or two :P

Kiith wrote: »
    I just ordered it. Probably shouldn't have, as i'm not sure i have the money to burn, but **** it. I'll be broke for a month or two :P

Novelty factor is at least that long and it's difficult to eat with it on so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kiith wrote: »

You wont regret it.

The wait for the Rift isn't so bad for me as its in the UK at the moment.

Still bloody waiting on EVGA to ship my 1080!

The wait for the Rift isn't so bad for me as its in the UK at the moment.

Mine still says "Order", I gather they've been inundated with demand so processing is taking longer (I ordered on the weekend, so Monday effectively)
    Still bloody waiting on EVGA to ship my 1080!

Am keeping my eye out for a 'deal' on a 1080ti for my sons pc, so I can take his 1070 for the Rift (he'll need the 1080ti more than I will for 4k)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I ordered Sunday, asked for an update today and they said they've had an exceptional response to the sale so they have no eta for me. Long wait ahead it seems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Ordered mine last Wednesday (12th), should of been here today but UPS sent the two packages to different depots so hopefully here tomorrow.

Both my packages are in Dublin! Hopefully will have it tomorrow.

Both my packages are in Dublin! Hopefully will have it tomorrow.
    You better not get mine lol :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They won't accept my work address for some reason. Tried changing it, but no luck and had to open a support ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Ordered mine last Wednesday, landed at work this morning. Not sure how much time I'll actually have to use it in the next week or two but excited to see how it goes!

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Ordered mine last Wednesday, landed at work this morning. Not sure how much time I'll actually have to use it in the next week or two but excited to see how it goes!
    Mine has just arrived also, fun gaming tonight :D

Mine arrived also.

The packaging and contents have such a premium feel to them compared to the PSVR.

Quick test in a friends house today and then I have to endure the wait for a graphics card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mine arrived also.

The packaging and contents have such a premium feel to them compared to the PSVR.
    It is fierce fancy packaging. They could probably drop the price by another €50 if they dumped the fancy packaging.

• Advertisement

b@stards :D

I'm still an "order" peasant :(

Advertisement