Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Inviere wrote: »
    b@stards :D

I'm still an "order" peasant :(

I'll race you...

Also on order - ordered last Thursday I think but had to open a support ticket and got address validated during the weekend I think. Taking some consolation from deliveries arriving for people who ordered last week, but hoping they have not exhausted their local stock on hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only had a chance to play Bullet Train last night but the touch controllers are a serious game changer for VR - previously had the DK1/2/CV1 already but this is my first time I had a chance to use actual touch controllers and it's unbelievable.

Needs serious space though, don't have enough where I have it set up. Kept banging off stuff trying to pull Matrix moves playing Bullet Train.

Have to move around everything now this evening to make some proper Oculus appropriate space.

Also - free games are automatically added to your account when you setup touch. Didn't have to do a thing and Robo Recall, Dead and Buried, Lucky's Tale and two other games were just there when I signed in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Top marks for packaging but the magnetic battery covers on the Touch controllers, now that's well posh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Mine arrived last night, love it. Took about an hour to set up. I need to get a new display port to female HDMI as I only have one HDMI on my gpu. So should have that in the next couple days. I do find the display much clearer than the psvr, but it's not Crystal clear, is there anything I can do or chance to make it better?

I played Lucky's tail. Very cute game, simple but fun.
    What games are absolute must have on the rift?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Doge wrote: »
    Mine arrived also.

The packaging and contents have such a premium feel to them compared to the PSVR.

Quick test in a friends house today and then I have to endure the wait for a graphics card.

You have to use your own account. The free games are locked to the first Oculus account you use when setting up your Touch controllers. So don't go making an Oculus account with your friends details just because you are setting up on his computer today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Mine arrived last night, love it. Took about an hour to set up. I need to get a new display port to female HDMI as I only have one HDMI on my gpu. So should have that in the next couple days. I do find the display much clearer than the psvr, but it's not Crystal clear, is there anything I can do or chance to make it better?

I played Lucky's tail. Very cute game, simple but fun.

I'm interested in hearing how you get on with this compared to the PSVR. I have the PSVR and like it but think it is seriously under powered. Enough to be offputting. I have been toying with the idea of getting this. My main concern is the upgrade isn't worth it for the €450, and it will end up sitting around with the PSVR while I play normal games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭Doge

Calibos wrote: »
    You have to use your own account. The free games are locked to the first Oculus account you use when setting up your Touch controllers. So don't go making an Oculus account with your friends details just because you are setting up on his computer today.

Thanks for the heads up.

So is it okay to create an account with my details on his computer, and then use my account on my computer in the future?

Thanks for the heads up.

So is it okay to create an account with my details on his computer, and then use my account on my computer in the future?

Probably too late now but I'm pretty sure its just a case of running the Oculus setup on your own PC when you get it up and running, logging in, and all the free content will re-download to your PC. I mean its not like your Steam library is locked to a friends computer if you login to Steam with your details on their PC. I've posted a thread on reddit r/oculus to clarify for you(You should go there to ask questions etc. Its a great community and the most active Rift community on the internet)

Its likely you've already lost your VRginity and in VR heaven in your friends gaff at the time of this post, but at least you'll have peace of mind with a definitive yay or nay answer before your GTX1080 comes.

Apparently there is a new SKU that comes without the Xbox One controller + Dongle (in fairness, which are worth about €60 on their own). So going forward people may start getting a new all-in-one box with the touch controllers, minus the Xbox pad/dongle, but the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

is the xbox controller in the current 450e / £400 bundle?

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    is the xbox controller in the current 450e / £400 bundle?

For some yes, but apparently not all. Once stocks of the old sku are sold it'll just be replaced it seems. Some people who bought from Scan apparently have been told their order will be the newer sku.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea I thought I had seen it in some bundles but now I cant find any to be sure

damn my procrastination..

Wossack wrote: »
    yea I thought I had seen it in some bundles but now I cant find any to be sure

damn my procrastination..

Have you an Xbone or 360 pad already? If so you are Golden. The remote is no big loss. Touch has mappings built into the SDK for xbox controller VR games anyway.

TBH, if I were re-ordering now for whatever reason I'd actually prefer the new All In One (AIO) box.

This $399 Sale came about because Oculus were keen to quickly run down the old separate Rift and Touch SKU's to make way for the new AIO Rift+Touch SKU which they would be able to sell for a new lower $499 as it didn't include the no longer really needed XBOX Controller and Remote as well as the savings they would make on the logistics by going from 2 to 1 SKU's.

Problem is, they sold in 6 days what they thought would take about 6 weeks. Fair play to them though. They are still honouring the Sale price for the full 6 weeks even though they already achieved the main aim of the sale which was to get rid of the old separate SKU's. Just means that everyone who ordered after the first week of the Sale will be getting the new AIO SKU without the Xbox controller and remote.

Like I said though, its no big loss and the AIO Box is neater and less hassle to carry your rift around to a mates house like Doge is doing today!

Thanks for the heads up.

Got clarification back from r/oculus.

Its no problem at all. In fact, if your mate could afford the space that Oculus Home and its software takes up and left it all installed, you can always just bring your Rift over without your PC and just plug it into his PC and log in and only have to download any games you want to play that you bought since your last visit to his gaff.

Got clarification back from r/oculus.

Its no problem at all. In fact, if your mate could afford the space that Oculus Home and its software takes up and left it all installed, you can always just bring your Rift over without your PC and just plug it into his PC and log in and only have to download any games you want to play that you bought since your last visit to his gaff.

Really appreciate you asking on reddit for me man! Had to postpone it til tomorrow. I think Ill set up an account on my own PC now and log in to tomorrow.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Do you defo need two HDMI outputs for it? Specs seem to list one. Mines still on order but my 1080 only has one HDMI output.

superg wrote: »
    Do you defo need two HDMI outputs for it? Specs seem to list one. Mines still on order but my 1080 only has one HDMI output.

You could use a Display Port to HDMI adapter for your monitor.

The Rift only needs a single HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nope, it only needs one HDMI, however my old rig hated the rift on HDMI( wouldnt work at all ), i just use a HDMI->DVI converter with my 980Ti. Be careful with HDMI->DP converters, different ballgame, i never tried and wouldnt go near it, HDMI->DVI is quite simple in how it works, for HDMI->DP you most likely need an active adapter( i have one, never tried it though as it works now ).
    My old DK2 didnt care and would work on both and there was absolutely 0 difference in terms of any latency.

My point is try and get an adapter for your monitor and have the free HDMI for the rift. IF you have issues like me use a HDMI->DVI adapter for the rift, try and avoid display port( its doable but more complex ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I currently use a display port to drive my monitor, I don't use the hdmi at all. Ideally I'd like the monitor to still display what I'm seeing in the rift. I assume that will be the case if I still hook up the monitor via DP and then rift via HDMI?

I currently use a display port to drive my monitor, I don't use the hdmi at all. Ideally I'd like the monitor to still display what I'm seeing in the rift. I assume that will be the case if I still hook up the monitor via DP and then rift via HDMI?

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

This $399 Sale came about because Oculus were keen to quickly run down the old separate Rift and Touch SKU's to make way for the new AIO Rift+Touch SKU which they would be able to sell for a new lower $499 as it didn't include the no longer really needed XBOX Controller and Remote as well as the savings they would make on the logistics by going from 2 to 1 SKU's.

Problem is, they sold in 6 days what they thought would take about 6 weeks. Fair play to them though. They are still honouring the Sale price for the full 6 weeks even though they already achieved the main aim of the sale which was to get rid of the old separate SKU's. Just means that everyone who ordered after the first week of the Sale will be getting the new AIO SKU without the Xbox controller and remote.

Like I said though, its no big loss and the AIO Box is neater and less hassle to carry your rift around to a mates house like Doge is doing today!

I ordered on the 14th from Amazon. The Touch controllers have been dispatched and should be here soon, but the headset still hasn't been dispatched. I can only assume that means I'll be getting the old SKU, but then the delay in dispatching the headset is odd.

Zatoichi wrote: »
    I ordered on the 14th from Amazon. The Touch controllers have been dispatched and should be here soon, but the headset still hasn't been dispatched. I can only assume that means I'll be getting the old SKU, but then the delay in dispatching the headset is odd.

Yes, the new SKU is just one box so you are getting the Xbox controller/dongle.

My touch controllers also arrived ahead of the headset.

I agree the Xbox controller isn't really that necessary but for those of us who get it, you can sell it and the dongle on for €40 bringing your Rift down to €410.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Inviere

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Be careful with HDMI->DP converters, different ballgame, i never tried and wouldnt go near it, HDMI->DVI is quite simple in how it works, for HDMI->DP you most likely need an active adapter( i have one, never tried it though as it works now ).

Apparently once the display port is dualmode, a passive adapter will work fine. Look for a little symbol on the port of two ++'s, or a p inside a d...and you're golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Batman Arkham VR, wow! Be wary of Adrift though, I lasted about 15 minutes and then the motion sickness kicked in.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Batman Arkham VR, wow! Be wary of Adrift though, I lasted about 15 minutes and then the motion sickness kicked in.

Note, ArkhamVR is more like a paid Tech Demo. Its not very long.

Don't buy Adrift anyone. Nausea Fest.

What you should buy is Lone Echo which launches today. It too is a floaty space station game but they've got the zero-G locomotion right. You can test before you buy because its sister game Echo Arena is free for the next 3 months! Lone Echo is a story based game. Echo Arena is an eSports EndersGame'esque goal scoring Arena game which has gotten rave reviews from nearly everyone who's tried the Open Beta the last 2 weeks.

Got the Rift set up today, and as soon as those experiences came on, wow the graphics are a lot sharper than the PSVR!

Jagged lines seemed to be eliminated.

But when I tried SteamVR games like Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, DCS World etc.. that sharpness went and was more like a PSVR experience, even with settings maxed.

I think the games that have a small environment look best on it.

DCS World seems to struggle on high settings in VR with the 1080, must look at recommended settings for the card.

Don't buy Adrift anyone. Nausea Fest.

I bought it ages ago when it was going for a couple of euro on some site.

Just did the training mission there and found it fine, i guess the game itself is far more nauseating though.

I've yet to experience motion sickness in VR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Still waiting for them to approve my address. Not sure how it could possibly take that long, but i contacted them again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I've yet to experience motion sickness in VR.

Keep going with DCS World with poor frame rates and you'll win on that front :P This coming from someone who had motion sickness 'trained' out of them when learning to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

IL2 sturmovik beats DCS for VR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Look up how to increase the pixel per display override. You'll need to download the Oculus SDK. With it, you can supersample the resolution of the headset and it eliminates jagged lines more.

Advertisement