Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Inviere

Still on "order" status :( Today is the fifth working day since I've ordered, and when I raised a ticket to ensure my address format was correct, I just got the standard copy paste huge demand etc reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Inviere wrote: »
    Still on "order" status :( Today is the fifth working day since I've ordered, and when I raised a ticket to ensure my address format was correct, I just got the standard copy paste huge demand etc reply.

I ordered last Friday, also remain on "order." I understand (from the internet) that they have sold out of existing stocks and are ramping production of the new Box. Part of the motivation for the sale was to sell out the existing packages in favour of the newer one. apparently it is a cheaper box and may not come with xbox one controller - neither of which i care about (I have an xbox one that sees little use since PS4 has essentially replaced it.)

Anyway i guess there will be a delay but such is life. We were able to wait when it was on sale a year ago until prices dropped so a few weeks more should be managable, though I am waiting more anxiously now it is ordered.

They will change status once it ships and should only be a few days after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Look up how to increase the pixel per display override. You'll need to download the Oculus SDK. With it, you can supersample the resolution of the headset and it eliminates jagged lines more.

I think you need to be careful with that as some games also have the option in game, like Robo Recall.

It's also a performance killer unless you have a very strong card.

I'm fine with waiting, once I know everything on my end is correct (people have been having address formatting issues, resulting in cancelled orders). The fact that I can't have someone just check everything is fine and I'm in the queue, is a tad annoying. If the order is cancelled for an address issue, are you back to the back of the queue, or can you fix the error and get processed right away?

I'm fine with waiting, once I know everything on my end is correct (people have been having address formatting issues, resulting in cancelled orders). The fact that I can't have someone just check everything is fine and I'm in the queue, is a tad annoying. If the order is cancelled for an address issue, are you back to the back of the queue, or can you fix the error and get processed right away?

I would assume if you are on "order" your address is approved. I needed to raise a ticket and get mine manually approved, but before that i got an email informing me they could not process my order as my address was invalid. It was only after the ticket had been resolved that i moved to order. So in your case no news is probably good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Fian wrote: »
    I ordered last Friday, also remain on "order." I understand (from the internet) that they have sold out of existing stocks and are ramping production of the new Box. Part of the motivation for the sale was to sell out the existing packages in favour of the newer one. apparently it is a cheaper box and may not come with xbox one controller - neither of which i care about (I have an xbox one that sees little use since PS4 has essentially replaced it.)

Anyway i guess there will be a delay but such is life. We were able to wait when it was on sale a year ago until prices dropped so a few weeks more should be managable, though I am waiting more anxiously now it is ordered.

They will change status once it ships and should only be a few days after that.

I ordered mine last friday at 9am. This morning my order moved from "Order" to "Processing for Shipping"

So yours will be soon I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Look up how to increase the pixel per display override. You'll need to download the Oculus SDK. With it, you can supersample the resolution of the headset and it eliminates jagged lines more.

The name of it escapes me atm, 'Performance overlay'?? but anyway it no longer resides in the Oculus Developer SDK so no need to download that. Doesn't matter though because there is now a 3rd party app called OculusTrayTools that allows you to adjust the supersampling and even create automatic supersampling profiles for different games that don't have their own supersampling adjustment in their own menu's. Thats just one of the features of the app amongst others, theres a section that automatically installs the correct drivers and usb power suspend settings for the popular Inatech USB 3 PCIe card. Another feature is that you can pick an unused crappy free game/demo from your library and the app will swap it out for a SteamVR link in your library to enable you to load up SteamVR without having to take off your HMD.

Other handy 3rd party apps are GuardianBoundaryEditor which allows you to straighten out the wavy Guardian Virtual wall Boundaries that you drew with your Touch controllers during setup. You can add notches/indicators in the wall to indicate which way is forward in your real room. It also allows you to save different Wall shape profiles so for example you could have one that has the Guardian Walls appear aligned with your real walls which would allow another step closer to the real wall before it triggers for games where you aren't likely to be punching things, whereas for games with lots of arm swinging and punching you'd want the Guardian walls an arms length back from your real walls to give you time to pull your punches without risking putting your fist and Touch controller through your plasterboard wall. For such a game you'd also have the Guardian wall set back from your Desk and Monitor so that you don't punch and destroy your monitor but that would mean when you swapped to a game that had you sitting at your desk and keyboard Guardian would trigger and stay on. With this app you can create a Guardian profile that has Guardian encapsulating your desk/monitor so that it doesn't trigger while sat at your keyboard. Before this app one would have to redo Guardian setup everytime redraw the Guardian wall. With the app you can now just swap between saved Guardian configurations.

Theres also another app who's name escapes me at the moment that allows you to share your Oculus Playspace setup settings with SteamVR meaning you don't have to redo SteamVR setup everytime you redo Oculus setup.

Deskscene is a good VR app that shows the camera FOV's which is great for fine tuning your Camera positioning and tilt rotation adjustments in order to maximise camera coverage of your space.

While everyone should initially just plonk the two included cameras on the desk about 2m apart and use the system like that before experimenting with other configs like opposing corners or getting a 3rd camera, when you do decide to experiment or buy a 3rd camera then one should start thinking about wall mounting about 7ft high on the walls. The cameras unscrew from the base stands about 1.5" from the top and have standard camera 1/4" threads so any camera CCTV mount can be used.

I use these and these. CCTV mounts have a much greater tilt adjustment than the base stands which you need for mounting high on a wall. The cameras are very light so the 3M command strips easily hold the camera and CCTV mount on the wall. No Drilling required.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Doge wrote: »
    But when I tried SteamVR games like Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, DCS World etc.. that sharpness went and was more like a PSVR experience, even with settings maxed.
    You can add supersampling into AC as standard by editing one of the files. Instructions here. that should improve the clarity a bit in that game at least. I think in the same file you can force it to use the rift as the default sound device so you don't have to switch before playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Absolutely loving Lucky's Tale, all I need now is a Super Mario game for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭Doge

Tried out Robo Recall and Google Earth VR today, both of which are great.

Probably sound biased but Cork is a great city to look at in Google Earth,its not too dense and has interesting hills and country side.

The touch controllers do a great job of getting you around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Hot damn is lone echo worth it, I'm playing since DK1 but damn its one of the most impressive titles, namely because you can move around the environment by just grabbing it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They approved my address this morning, but i expect it'll take a few weeks to get delivered. Can't wait to get stuck into a few games.

Doge wrote: »
    Tried out Robo Recall and Google Earth VR today, both of which are great.

Probably sound biased but Cork is a great city to look at in Google Earth,its not too dense and has interesting hills and country side.

The touch controllers do a great job of getting you around.

Google Earth VR is great alright. Make sure to go into the menu and settings and turn 'Human Scale' on. This allows you to zoom right down to the ground. As you get closer the world scales down to human/real life scale (as opposed to Godzilla Scale) The 3D models and Textures captured by the Google Lidar aircraft break down at this scale and look bizarrely distorted but still recognisable. What its really great for though is to land on top of the Freedom Tower or Empire State in New york or Eiffel Tower in Paris for example and look down. Talk about Vertigo! Thankfully when you do this its only the viewing platform under your feet that is distorted. The view of the buildings and ground way below you is perfect though. The trick is to stand over the object you want to land on and position your head directly over it looking down at it and then zoom/fly down to it. If you bounce off, just try again. ie. You can't land on objects coming from the sides as it were, you fly down to them from above.

Funny Story:

GoogleEarthVR came out with Vive support first and before Touch launched in December. Rifters were able to load it up but without hand controllers at that time we couldn't really do anything. Then someone discovered that some keyboard controls worked. Problem was you could only drag the world with your head. ie Headbang through the world :D You'd press and hold the Enter Key, Headbang/Drag the world towards you and then release the Enter Key and continue ad infinitum until you reached your destination. At the same time while browsing Google Earth on PC I discovered that my town of Bray Co. Wicklow had actually been 3D scanned by Google. I just had to see it in VR!! The nearest default interesting location in GEVR was London. I had a brainwave! Lets see how long it takes to headbang my way across the UK to the Irish Sea. Sure Bray is only what, 60 or 70 miles from Wales. So I got my bearings at Westminster and headed..literally...off. Took me about 5 minutes to headbang my way to the 'Irish Sea'. Excellent I thought, Sure I'll be in Bray in no time at all at this rate! So off I 'headed' across the water. However 5 minutes turned into 10, 10 turned into 20. My neck was fcuked at this stage. "WTF is going on I thought to myself." How could I have made it across the English Midlands and Wales in 5 minutes and yet I've been headbanging across the Irish sea for 20!! Finally, Finally there was land Ahoy!! Nearly there! Nearly there! I've got a thumping headache at this stage from all the headbanging but my epic journey is nearly complete. I finally reach the coast of 'Ireland' and what do I see??

Fcuking Dykes!!! :confused: :eek: :mad: :D

10 days out, status is still on "Order" :(

Doom 3 BFG Edition is down to £3.07 on GamerGate and you can get what looks like an excellent VR mod that lets you use the touch controllers for full movement or teleporting, and voice commands.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/doom-3-bfg-edition-3-07-pc-steam-perfect-for-vr-with-mod-gamersgate-2748162

What are peoples opinions on movement in VR? Is free movement strange, hence why teleporting is required? I'd never really thought about how strange it would be having regular mouse look while in VR until i ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

9 days for me and same. When you get yours changed I'll know mine is close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kiith wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on movement in VR? Is free movement strange, hence why teleporting is required? I'd never really thought about how strange it would be having regular mouse look while in VR until i ordered it.
    The only game that made me feel ill was minecraft. Made the gf ill too. Obviously it was a hack job as this was 2 years ago.

It's a strange feeling that hangs around for a hour or so even after you take the headset off. Think it has something to do with separating the head from the body; you turn your head but move in a different direction. Didn't last 5 minutes in minecraft while ETS2, AI, Windlands, Project Cars and Elite were all fine.

Free movement is more likely to trigger motion sickness, but most games have smoothing and sensitivity options to cope with it.

I prefer free movement personally as I've yet to experince motion sickness, and i havent mastered teleporting in Robo Recall yet. When enemies surround you it can be awkward to teleport facing the correct way quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From playing onward and pavlov I can tell you traditional PC movement is highly doable once its done right, teleporting is nonsense

• Advertisement

Unprecedented demand. Sit tight and don't go cancelling and switching retailers no matter what ship dates are promised. Old Rifters like myself have seen all this before with the original launch, sales and Touch Launch. EG. Guy see's Bestbuy have a new closer shipdate, cancels his Oculus or Amazon order and orders from Bestbuy, 2 days after placing BestBuy order Bestbuy changes shipping date to later than their original Oculus or Amazon order. Sit tight, be thrilled that you got it for a steal at €450 (I paid €920 and it was worth it at that price) and you'll get it in a fortnight or so and it'll blow your mind.

20% of people don't experience VR sickness at all ever.
    60% of people experience VR sickness at first but develop VR Legs after a few weeks.
    20% of people will never get over VR Sickness.

You won't feel VR sickness in roomscale games where you walk around in real life or there is a Teleport locomotion system.
    You might feel VR sickness in Driving/Space/Flight sims
    You will feel VR sickness using thumbstick artificial locomotion.

This first gen of consumer VR HMD's have eliminated all the technological causes of VR sickness like low refreshrates and high persistance displays. Most VR sickness is caused by a mismatch between what your Vision and Vestibular (Inner Ear-Balance, Acceleration) senses perceive. For driving games for example, people who don't drive usually don't have any troubles because their brains haven't been trained by experience what to expect. For a real driver though, his brain expects to feel lateral G's when taking a bend. In VR the eyes see that you are taking a bend but the inner ear is not feeling any lateral G's. This mismatch causes the brain to fall back on its evolutionary response which is, "My sense don't agree, I think I've been poisoned or eaten something rotten, Lets puke this sh!t out!". In other cases like Barrel Rolls in a Flight or Space Sim, you'd be sick if you did that in real life anyway! I developed my VR legs for every type of VR experience very quickly except for artificial locomotion. ie. Conventional FPS locomotion. Its much better than it was and I can last much longer but its still there to some extent. However I don't have anywhere near enough the time I'd like to spend in VR. If I was able to play more I'd likely have developed my VR legs for artificial locomotion much sooner.

Anyway, the important thing to remember is that you should stop playing immediately when you start to feel off. Sweaty, Clammy. Take a break for a few hours or even a day and try again. You'll last longer and longer each time until eventually you never feel sick. The biggest mistake you can make is to push through the Sickness. You'll render yourself bedridden for the rest of the day and you'll create an aversion to VR where even the thought or the smell of the HMD will trigger the VR sickness sensations without even having to put the thing on!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Only two games have ever given me motion sickness. Doom on the SNES and the recent Tomb Raider reboot on PC. I assume the former was because of FOV or low FPS, and the latter was the camera position. Such an awful nauseous feeling. I heard you can play for an hour and not experience it, and then when you take the headset off that's when you get hit. I'm going to try and take breaks every twenty minutes even if I don't feel any ill effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only game that actually affected me was one on the DK1 - can't remember what it was called, Drift, Airdrift maybe? It was a simple flying game but soaring through valleys and mountains and across lakes at high speed make pretty much anyone who tried it unwell after a few minutes!

I think traditional movement is fine but in games like Robo Recall transport works quite well to have maximum focus on the 'Time Crisis VR' style gameplay.

I ordered mine on 14th, still on order. I had my work address down as "residential" so I changed it to commercial yesterday. Then my status changed!
    finally i was no longer stuck on "order"!!

No, now i had moved to "on hold - address invalid". >.<

Raised a ticket yesterday to try and resolve, I have a sinking feeling when they do resolve i will slot in at the back of the queue :(

Heading off on holidays second half of August, really would like to get my hands on it before then or I know I will be distracted from holiday wondering about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Ordered on the 14th (9am)
    Got tracking numbers last Friday.
    Arrived this morning.

Looks like they still have older SKUs

2 Boxes.

1 With Rift, Sensor, Xbox Controller, Dongle
    1 with Touch Controllers & Sensor

Ordered mine on the 18th, and no change yet. Would have loved to have gotten it for this weekend, but no chance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

So what's the deal with USB 3.0? I'm getting mixed messages, do you only need 3.0 if you want to do room scale?

Zatoichi wrote: »
    So what's the deal with USB 3.0? I'm getting mixed messages, do you only need 3.0 if you want to do room scale?

Ideally you have your two front cameras on USB 3.0 and if you bought a 3rd camera for a 3m x 3m playspace that would be fine on USB 2.0. In fact it comes with a 5m USB 2.0 extension anyway. PLenty of people are on USB 2.0 for all cameras and report no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody know how long does the sale price last?

Currently trying to get a few bob up selling a G29 racing wheel but its slow going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anybody know how long does the sale price last?

Currently trying to get a few bob up selling a G29 racing wheel but its slow going

Can't find anything concrete other than the sale is to last 6 weeks and it was announced around 10th July. It'll have a permanent price reduction after the sale to about €550 (Rift, Touch controllers, two sensors).

Advertisement