Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

saneman wrote: »
    Can't find anything concrete other than the sale is to last 6 weeks and it was announced around 10th July. It'll have a permanent price reduction after the sale to about €550 (Rift, Touch controllers, two sensors).

Cheers man,all i could see myself was "End of Summer"

Hmmm,jsut used the tool to check everything is compatible and it turned up an error regarding the USB controller on my motherboard. Says incompatible:(

Its an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with a 3570k in it,controller failing is listed as ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible host Controller. Anyone come across this before? Managed to find a MS approved driver from 6 months ago but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Finally got this today and set it up. Didn't have time to play any of the games that came with it but I was surprised that it seemed about as pixelated as the Gear VR I used with an S6 about a year ago. Does supersampling make a big improvement on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Set it up last night and had a bash.

Sensors are on USB 2.0 but seem to work fine.

Unbelievable, even the first contact tutorial. Echo Arena is simply brilliant. Almost fell over once or twice. Played around in toybox for ages, theres something extremely satisfying about driving a remote control car around in VR for some reason. Tickles my lizard brain.

Still have to give Google Earth VR and Medium which seemed awesome.

Didn't feel any sickness even after extended playtime so i might be one of the lucky ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads is there a way to claim the 8 free games at once or do I just search for each one individually in the store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Lads is there a way to claim the 8 free games at once or do I just search for each one individually in the store?

I just found them all in the store, they all came up as "Purchased".

Edit: I've no Oculus friends, add me if you like : ocrvanica

EoinHef wrote: »
    Hmmm,jsut used the tool to check everything is compatible and it turned up an error regarding the USB controller on my motherboard. Says incompatible:(

Its an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with a 3570k in it,controller failing is listed as ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible host Controller. Anyone come across this before? Managed to find a MS approved driver from 6 months ago but no joy.

So unless theres another option for the above problem im gonna buy this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501158269&sr=8-1-fkmr2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pci+usb+3.0+oculus+rift

Bit of a ball ache having to buy extra bits.

Gonna be ordering the rift this evening. Till this price drop VR wasnt even on my radar,i think in the long run deals like this will help adoption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

hmm, I thought I had the same motherboard, and passed the compatibility check (bar my 780 failing). Will doublecheck when I get home this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Finally got this today and set it up. Didn't have time to play any of the games that came with it but I was surprised that it seemed about as pixelated as the Gear VR I used with an S6 about a year ago. Does supersampling make a big improvement on this?

The Gear VR actually has superior image quality due to the 1440P screen on the S6.

Obviously the gaming experience is incomparably better on the Rift but actual image quality/video playback is superior on the Gear VR.

Sony have the XZ Premium now with a 4k screen - this would actually whallop the Rift in terms of visual quality in VR using a basic universal headset, I'm itching to try one for VR video.

The games just appear in your account when you sign in, activating the touch controllers is what activates the free games on your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wossack wrote: »
    hmm, I thought I had the same motherboard, and passed the compatibility check (bar my 780 failing). Will doublecheck when I get home this evening

my bad, tis a z87m sorry

• Advertisement

Rift ordered,also ordered the recomended USB 3.0 PCI card. Figure for €30 its worth getting now rather than realising i need it down the road.

Judging by this thread ill be waiting awhile for the rift to arrive which sucks but maybe my wallet will have recovered by then and i can actually buy a few games for the thing!!

Had a look at the free games that come with the bundle last night. Luckys Tale and Robo Recall immediately stood out to me. Look forward to trying them

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

This thread is excellent. I've had a rift for a while now but none of my friends do so rarely play the multiplayer touch games.

Maybe we can organise a few with boardsies? I would love to shoot you in the face in VR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

This thread is excellent. I've had a rift for a while now but none of my friends do so rarely play the multiplayer touch games.

Maybe we can organise a few with boardsies? I would love to shoot you in the face in VR.

Unfortunately theres no party matchmaking system in place for Rift yet. Its one of the biggest complaints people have atm. Oculus announced a great sounding system called 'Rooms' and 'Parties' at last years Oculus Connect that we were supposed to have in 2017 but while GearVR got it this year, still no sign of it for Rift. We've been told to expect new info at Oculus Connect 4 in October. They've hinted that they expanded the scope of the Rift version to take advantage of Rifts on PC's much greater power compared to GearVR and forked development of it away from the GearVR version rather than trying to maintain feature parity like they originally intended.

Anyway, the general idea for Rooms and Parties is to be able to invite upto 8 friends into Voicechat and Rooms where you can hang out and play minigames or watch videos etc together and select any of your multiplayer games to all jump into at the same time as a group.

Without this system is in place at the moment there is no way to co-ordinate which server you all join nor even which instance/match on the same server. When its in place though it'll be wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats Skyrim like in VR? Is there any killer VR RPG yet?

Thargor wrote: »

Ive been looking at a few games the last day or two while i wait on the rift and Chronos seems to be quite popular. Obviously i havent played it but looks like could be one of the first games i get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

My first big challenge was opening the Rift box. It got to the point where I just had to stand back and laugh at myself.

My next colossal hurdle was opening the battery compartment for the remote. It says pull on the tab, so I pull on the tab ...I really pull on the tab ...now I'm really laughing at myself. Same thing with the Touch controllers, I don't want to break them by using too much force but nothing's budging!

Once I figured out how magnets work, installing the actual Rift was easy. My USB 3.0 wouldn't work as I knew beforehand, but it accepted my other ports for everything with no problem.

The beginning of Robo Recall is legitimately amazing. I didn't even get the Rift for these kind of roomscale experiences, but it's so good I'm going to have to make some space to play properly. What I did get it for is flight/racing sims, and even going in with low expectations with regard to resolution/clarity at distance, it's still a huge leap from trackir in terms of immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thargor wrote: »

Bit buggy but looks pretty good to me. The killer RPG will be Fallout 4 VR but it's not, officially, coming to the Rift.

Bit buggy but looks pretty good to me. The killer RPG will be Fallout 4 VR but it's not, officially, coming to the Rift.

All SteamVR games are playable on Rift. The lack of an Oculus Logo for a VR game on Steam just means there is no OCulus SDK version and there mightn't be a custom control scheme for the Touch Controllers.

Bethesda just aren't promoting Rift compatability because of the ongoing courtcase between their parent company Zenimax and Oculus. A hack will get around a HMD check in a day if they decided to actively try and block Rift as happened with Google Earth VR

Calibos wrote: »
    All SteamVR games are playable on Rift. The lack of an Oculus Logo for a VR game on Steam just means there is no OCulus SDK version and there mightn't be a custom control scheme for the Touch Controllers.

Bethesda just aren't promoting Rift compatability because of the ongoing courtcase between their parent company Zenimax and Oculus. A hack will get around a HMD check in a day if they decided to actively try and block Rift as happened with Google Earth VR

I completely agree but at the end of the day it's not officially coming to the rift.

I completely agree but at the end of the day it's not officially coming to the rift.

Neither are all the fantastic Oculus Funded games officially coming to the Vive....but that isn't stopping thousands of Vivers buying them and using reVive to play them.

Repeating 'Not Officially coming to the Rift' does nothing but instill FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) in the minds of people making a purchase decision who might do no further research and come away with the mistaken belief that they'll never get to play DoomVR, Fallout and Skyrim(when it leaves PSVR Exclusivity) on a Rift if they buy one.

• Advertisement

Neither are all the fantastic Oculus Funded games officially coming to the Vive....but that isn't stopping thousands of Vivers buying them and using reVive to play them.

Repeating 'Not Officially coming to the Rift' does nothing but instill FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) in the minds of people making a purchase decision who might do no further research and come away with the mistaken belief that they'll never get to play DoomVR, Fallout and Skyrim(when it leaves PSVR Exclusivity) on a Rift if they buy one.

Calm down. I detest fanboism in all it's forms - it's not helpful to try and shut down a conversation, critical or otherwise about a product. It's a true statement to say that they are not coming to rift OFFICIALLY. If people cant do research on a product like the rift then it's their own issue, but everyone here is an adult and knows what the story is.

Skyrim is almost flawless on VorpX already, no need to panic and if someone wants to play it now or if there is some mad HMD check incorporated.

So yet again not officially coming to rift, although I'm sure it'll work just fine, even if that needs a mod. Incidentally we both know Revive was rendered useless for a while and that Oculus could be injuncted out of existence. We also both know the chances of that happening are minuscule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is skyrim flawless on Vorpx? Last time I tried it I was not overly impressed

Anywhoo, If a game requires the oculus store and then revive to mask your vive as a rift it does not support the vive.

And it works the same in the opposite direction: if you're going to have to hack and mod a game to get it working on a Rift then the game does not support the Rift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Is VorpX worth getting?

Calm down. I detest fanboism in all it's forms - it's not helpful to try and shut down a conversation, critical or otherwise about a product. It's a true statement to say that they are not coming to rift OFFICIALLY. If people cant do research on a product like the rift then it's their own issue, but everyone here is an adult and knows what the story is.

Skyrim is almost flawless on VorpX already, no need to panic and if someone wants to play it now or if there is some mad HMD check incorporated.

So yet again not officially coming to rift, although I'm sure it'll work just fine, even if that needs a mod. Incidentally we both know Revive was rendered useless for a while and that Oculus could be injuncted out of existence. We also both know the chances of that happening are minuscule.

I'm sorry? Who isnt being calm, who is trying to shut down conversation?

I'm sorry? Who isnt being calm, who is trying to shut down conversation?

You are the one who started with the FUD stuff, that came across as, don't say X or repeat X as it puts people off, that's attempting to shut down the conversation. Now that we're both calm, happy days. When a game is not officially supported I will say as much, please feel free to counter that it won't be a problem and I will agree with that sentiment. I've a strange feeling of Deja Vu though.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Is VorpX worth getting?

Personally I think so, others not so impressed as I with Skyrim :pac: FO4 was amazing in it but both games suffer from not having headlook detached from the direction you're walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Personally I think so, others not so impressed as I with Skyrim :pac: FO4 was amazing in it but both games suffer from not having headlook detached from the direction you're walking.
    Which is awful in VR

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Which is awful in VR

Well detach it and charge $59.99 new dollars.

For the price of VorpX it's worth trying it along with getting access to other games. Hopefully FO4 will show that we don;t haver to have funky locomotion and that VR modes should be fairly easy to implement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I personally thought Fallout 4 in VR was very poor using VorpX about a year ago. Couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes, the immersion was just not there and didn't feel right (not talking about lack of head tracking, just the general sense of 'being there').

Haven't tried Skyrim though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Skyrim in VR

Everett.11.1.jpg

Advertisement