Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Well I enjoyed them and GTA I concede I'll be buying both made for VR but I don't regret spending the money on VorpX and would still recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Is there any issues with bringing a Rift back from the States? I'm 99% sure it isn't an issue as there are no wall sockets or region locks but just wanted to double check.

Going over in about two weeks and can see a bundle in Best Buy with a bonus Eve Valkyrie thrown in for around €340. Hard to turn that down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Is there any issues with bringing a Rift back from the States? I'm 99% sure it isn't an issue as there are no wall sockets or region locks but just wanted to double check.

Going over in about two weeks and can see a bundle in Best Buy with a bonus Eve Valkyrie thrown in for around €340. Hard to turn that down.

You could potentially find yourself liable for tax on your return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fian wrote: »
    Wear them when going through customs.

Looked it up and apparently, and if I am reading this right, you can carry in personal items under €430 back without paying duty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wish i had picked it up in the States. Ordered it online here instead to save myself the hassle (and potential tax) when coming home, and it still hasn't shipped. Over two weeks now, and no change.

Also, remember the price will be higher after sales tax, which they don't show on the initial price in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Kiith wrote: »
    I wish i had picked it up in the States. Ordered it online here instead to save myself the hassle (and potential tax) when coming home, and it still hasn't shipped. Over two weeks now, and no change.

Same, ordered on the 15th, still showing on "Order" status. Apparently, there's stock coming for the EU this week...so fingers crossed.
    Also, remember the price will be higher after sales tax, which they don't show on the initial price in most places.

Wut?

Inviere wrote: »
    Same, ordered on the 15th, still showing on "Order" status. Apparently, there's stock coming for the EU this week...so fingers crossed.

Wut?

ordered 14th here, still on order also. heading away on holidays mid august, hope it arrives before then.

Wut?

Most shops show the price before sales tax. They then add whatever the states rate is once you get to the till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Hey

Just to note for those waiting on an order.

Overclockers posted yesterday that their stock will be in tomorrow (Wednesday) and only 1/4 of it has been pre ordered.

It works out around 450 euro. So might be worth placing an order with them and see who ships first.

• Advertisement

Is that overclockers.co.uk? I'd be tempted to cancel and order from them tbh. Not sure i want to wait another few weeks.

Most shops show the price before sales tax. They then add whatever the states rate is once you get to the till.

Ah, the US...indeed, I thought you were talking about the EU :o
    Is that overclockers.co.uk? I'd be tempted to cancel and order from them tbh. Not sure i want to wait another few weeks.

Indeed, Amazon.co.uk have stock now too - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073X8N1YW/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have just requested to cancel my order with Oculus, & have placed an order with Amazon. Oculus have been shocking in terms of updates & communication, so if it costs €10 or so more to go with Amazon & actually get the Rift a lot sooner, so be it.

Cancelled and ordered it with Amazon. Delivery ETA (to Parcel Motel) on Friday.

I chose to use my home address, so will likely get it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

I have two on order, both ordered yesteday - one via Amazon and the other via Oculus.... I'll see which one comes first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I recorded a Video using OBS of me using KODI with the free Virtual Desktop and VR Cinema App BigScreen. I don't care what the naysayers say about the resolution of our first gen HMD's not being enough for VR Cinema. The experience of watching a movie in your own personal IMAX with friends from around the world makes up for most of the resolution deficiencies. Just like the SDE and the Godray's, you stop seeing it when engrossed in the content.

However, when we have future higher resolution HMD's, VR Cinema will definitely become one of the killer apps of VR. Just imagine, your own personal IMAX with better picture quality than any real screen due to OLED panel tech, Dolby/DTS Multichannel audio transcoded to VR positional audio for Virtual surround speakers from our headphones. Combine that with some bass shakers/tactile Transducers in our seats and what you have is the ability in the comfort of your own home to entirely replicate the Sights, the Sounds and the Sensations of watching a movie in a real IMAX theater all the while you are not disturbing the baby sleeping in the next room never mind disturbing your nextdoor neighbour with booming bass.

Everytime I change queue in a supermarket i regret it - not including when afresh till opens just when i decide another line is going to move faster. On the other hand when i decide not to change i tend to call it wrong too.

I have not reordered with amazon, will wait for oculus. I fully expect to regret that choice.

Let me know when yours arrives.

Irritated that I know another poster on this thread who also ordered on 14 july received the rift over a week ago.

The thing is though, Amazon have stock now...Oculus have been appalling in terms of communication, & updates (sending everyone the same copy/paste reply to various different types of queries). Plus, it seems Oculus are contractually obliged to fulfill stock to the big retailers BEFORE their own customers, so personally I think you'd be mad not switching your order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The thing is though, Amazon have stock now...Oculus have been appalling in terms of communication, & updates (sending everyone the same copy/paste reply to various different types of queries). Plus, it seems Oculus are contractually obliged to fulfill stock to the big retailers BEFORE their own customers, so personally I think you'd be mad not switching your order.

That's EXACTLY what they do. Retailers first and have done since day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If by the end of the day i dont see a change in my order status with Oculus im gonna cancel and get it off Amazon.

For those who cancelled there oculus order,was the cancellation confirmation quick or a day or two?

Dont really feel like being stuck with two rifts:D

• Advertisement

I got my cancellation order a few hours after requesting it. And my Amazon order is currently preparing for dispatch, with expected arrival (to Parcel Motel in N.Ireland) of 3rd-5th of August (+ 1 day for PM). So definitely quicker then it would have been with Oculus, who hope to ship some EU orders in the next two weeks.

It only cost me €3.39 extra ordering it via Amazon and getting fast shipping and parcel motel delivery to Kildare.

Ran through the checkout flow to check the sales tax which comes to around the $32 mark, so it still works out at €365 for the full bundle + Eve Valk.

Store collection is available too at the Best Buy right next to the hotel. I'm finding it really hard to talk myself out of this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Calibos wrote: »
    Dolby/DTS Multichannel audio transcoded to VR positional audio for Virtual surround speakers from our headphones

You still only have a stereo audio system over your ears, though. You'll only ever get an approximation of surround sound, it'll never, ever be able to match actually having having five speakers in a circle around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Zillah wrote: »
    You still only have a stereo audio system over your ears, though. You'll only ever get an approximation of surround sound, it'll never, ever be able to match actually having having five speakers in a circle around you.

Better tell that to Dolby then ;)

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/content-creation/vr.html

I got my cancellation order a few hours after requesting it. And my Amazon order is currently preparing for dispatch, with expected arrival (to Parcel Motel in N.Ireland) of 3rd-5th of August (+ 1 day for PM). So definitely quicker then it would have been with Oculus, who hope to ship some EU orders in the next two weeks.

It only cost me €3.39 extra ordering it via Amazon and getting fast shipping and parcel motel delivery to Kildare.

Amazon showing estimated delivery of 15/16 august for me just there. I guess their restock is sold out again.

I am trying to convince myself that having held off on buying this for 12 months because i figured the early adopter premium was too high, I should not be impatient over a few weeks further delay.....Trying...

Do you have a point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dolby are trying to sell stuff?

Positional audio will probably be big in VR but I'm really skeptical about 5.1 etc in headphones, especially for VR. Although those Ossic yokes might do a good job

A soundbar right around your skull would be pretty nifty though.

There is some clever software that attempts to create the impression of surround sound in stereo, but it's a rough approximation. It's very good at showing left and right, has limited success at doing front and back, and is notoriously bad at doing up and down (which 5.1 also struggles with).

Ultimately there are only two directions audio can come from with a stereo system, so the best you can hope for is tricks that can create a crude illusion of surround.

Amazon showing estimated delivery of 15/16 august for me just there. I guess their restock is sold out again.

I am trying to convince myself that having held off on buying this for 12 months because i figured the early adopter premium was too high, I should not be impatient over a few weeks further delay.....Trying...

Mine was shipped earlier anyway, and is due in NI tomorrow.

And on the front page for Amazon, it still shows the 5th as estimated delivery to NI. So you could always parcel motel it and have it by Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Sent cancellation email to Oculus and ordered with Amazon. Haven't actually had it cancelled yet though. Only have enough money for one loaded onto my revolut card so I can't end up with two.

EDIT: Oculus cancelled it quickly and my Amazon order is already preparing for dispatch. Parcel Motel might have it Saturday morning which in the past has meant I'll have it Saturday night.

Advertisement