Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Its arrived! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

superg wrote: »
    Its arrived! :D

Dont keep us in suspense!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Calibos wrote: »
    Dont keep us in suspense!! :D

He's gone, never to grace reality again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Google Blocks is addictive lol

Well what can I say, OH MY GOD! bloody amazing!

• Advertisement

Haven't even played any games yet, couldn't set it up until an hour ago, I'd happily play in that first little room for hours if I new how to get back to it!

Only issue so far is my glasses. I thought that as I'm short sighted I wouldn't have to wear them because the screen is so close but Its very blurry without them so I have to and they are uncomfortable with the headset on. Might have to get a new pair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That room is amazing - it can be downloaded as a free App.

Minecraft is free, buggered if I know what to do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Was going to buy but my R9 200 isn't strong enough

Was going to buy but my R9 200 isn't strong enough

R9 290 is fine, it's the card I started 'VRing' on.

• Advertisement

That room is amazing - it can be downloaded as a free App.

Yeah found it there. Can head back whenever now but there's so many other things to try. Need a month off work:D

Oculus games , flawless. Steam games, lots of problems. War thunder keeps crashing before it starts, project cars has me sitting in the engine bay instead of the cockpit, assetto corsa crashes on startup. Only Raceroom experience works perfectly.

Oh and my bloody glasses keep fogging up!

For non-oculus games bear in mind the recentre key(varies by game), I have to use it fairly frequently. Oddly though P:C worked grand for me. The other issue is it takes you height standing, then you - like everyone one else sit down.

The standing height during setup is only to establish floor position. It doesnt need to be reset everytime someone of a different height uses the Rift nor when you sit down. Look in the control setup for pCars for the Recenter key and/or set it to a key of your choice. I set it to a button on my g920 wheel.

The standing height during setup is only to establish floor position. It doesnt need to be reset everytime someone of a different height uses the Rift nor when you sit down. Look in the control setup for pCars for the Recenter key and/or set it to a key of your choice. I set it to a button on my g920 wheel.

It definitely affects some games, Eve:Valkyrie being one and Elite being another. Granted this is without the touch controllers but I noticed it in the touch set up also. Set your height at 4' and check.

It definitely affects some games, Eve:Valkyrie being one and Elite being another. Granted this is without the touch controllers but I noticed it in the touch set up also. Set your height at 4' and check.

Sorry, I know what you mean now.

Sorry, I know what you mean now.

Shouldn't be putting him in the engine bay though! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

R9 290 is fine, it's the card I started 'VRing' on.

I think he said R9 200 series, so he could easily have an R9 270 or 270x, which would really not be good enough, even a 285 or 280X are far less than ideal.

I think R9 290 and GTX970 are the sort of comfortable minimum to be able to enjoy all experiences across the board well enough.

Yeah I found that key for recentering. Had no end of issues yesterday with all my steam sim games but all sorted now. Was a frustrating day finding issues, googling the answer sorting it and then something else pops up. At one point my gear shift up paddle was muting the sound in the rift, I'd have to change down again to get it back on! Silly stuff but seems ok now.

Main issue with sim racing now is the menus in the rift are barely legible due to the resolution being fairly crappy so things like pitstop menus are impossible to navigate during a race.

And my glasses, they hurt very quickly and they fog up cos your face sweats. Pain in the hoop. Time to get these eyes lasered!

I think he said R9 200 series, so he could easily have an R9 270 or 270x, which would really not be good enough, even a 285 or 280X are far less than ideal.

I think R9 290 and GTX970 are the sort of comfortable minimum to be able to enjoy all experiences across the board well enough.

My mistake; thought the R? 270 was an R7 right enough it was an R9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ye its not a 290.

FSX and Flyinside is awesome, using the touch controller to flick switches and grab throttles etc is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Update for the Rift today: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/55785/1-17-rift-release-notes
    Calling all Rift owners - 1.17 starts rolling out today! New updates include Parties chat system, release notes for recent app updates, and more! As always, your feedback is appreciated, let us know what you think.

FEATURES:

Oculus Library:

You can now see detailed release notes for recent app updates, including the Oculus system software, from the Updates screen in Library.
    You can now quickly launch all apps that support Rift from within the Oculus software, even if you acquired those apps from outside the Oculus Store.
    Parties for Rift: In Oculus Home or Universal Menu, select a friend and choose Invite to Party. Friends in your party can chat with you across Rift apps, or wherever you go in VR. Each party can support a total of 4 people at a time.
    Mixed Reality Capture: Further improvements to the calibration tool.
    BUG FIXES:

Fixed an issue where reconnecting the Rift headset wouldn't fully restore functionality after being disconnected.
    Fixed an issue with lens slider settings not being respected in some situations.
    Fixed an issue with the floor shifting while you're in VR.
    Miscellaneous performance improvements, stability enhancement, and bug fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

superg wrote: »
    FSX and Flyinside is awesome, using the touch controller to flick switches and grab throttles etc is great.

I've been trying out VTOL VR which is in early access on Steam. Being developed from the ground up for VR so along with functional switches and mfd's it includes a virtual stick and collective all manipulated using the controllers. An interesting take on the sim genre removing the need for any other peripherals. Graphically it's quite plain at the moment but the immersion factor is there so I'm intrigued to see how it develops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Got it set up yesterday. My only other VR experience was the DK1, up until now.

Ho..lee..sheet. In...credible.

Who's pulling a sickie then today... (hopefully NOT sue to motion sickness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Minecraft is free, buggered if I know what to do though.

Its a free 90 minute trial. Tried it last night. Its unreal in VR. Will probably end up buying it.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Its a free 90 minute trial. Tried it last night. Its unreal in VR. Will probably end up buying it.

Can you point me to the manual! :pac:

+1 on the awesomeness, the cave bit scared the **** out of me and it's minecraft.

(Sorry should have updated my post to reflect it's a demo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Mine arrived, was sitting on my desk when I walked into the office this morning.

That is the good news, bad news is I am at work instead of at home and worse news is my parents in law are arriving to the house this afternoon, so they will be there when i get home. Unlikely to be able to do any more than just set it up today, certainly won't be able to spend the time with it I would like.

I cycle to from work so I will need to bring it home without the box.

Glad I flipped to amazon rather than waiting on Oculus so thanks to those who nudged me in that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

One thing I noticed from the update, I launched both Project Cars and Dirt Rally in SteamVR and they're now showing up in my Oculus Library. I tried launching Dirt Rally from the Oculus Library later but it didn't work, not sure if I need to have Steam running in the background or something? It'll be handy once it works properly though as I've found SteamVR a bit awkward so far.

Advertisement