Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fian wrote: »
    I need to work on my VR instincts. Yesterday evening I managed to:

[*]try to put my touch controller down on a virtual table in front of me to free my hands up to tale the headset off.
    [/LIST]

Always a classic, wait till you try to lean on a table/wall in VR

You get a sense of VR safe movement fairly quickly though, except when you play Gorn.

I dunno if you can play The Thrill of The Fight on the oculus but that is one hell of a game for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Any recomendations for a washable cover or something to deal with sweat into the cushions? I find it gets damp after prolonged use which is fine for the last few days but will presumably get pretty smelly after prolonged use.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Anyone played SportsbarVR/PoolNation?

I find the pool pretty unwieldy, no where near as easy to aim as in real life. Darts seems to be even worse since you don't have the weight of the dart in your hand and aiming results in you hitting the headset with the controller. Air hockey is great though.

Eleven also feels pretty natural on the whole for a table tennis game.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

Fian wrote: »
    Any recomendations for a washable cover or something to deal with sweat into the cushions? I find it gets damp after prolonged use which is fine for the last few days but will presumably get pretty smelly after prolonged use.

This would work? https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover-nosefree/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have to say Elite is pretty disappointing visually in the Rift,didnt get a chance to use super sampling so this may have been the problem.

Feels like i have overhead as its smooth as silk at the steam VR ultra setting so may turn a few things down and set the super sampling at 1.5.

I read the oculus debug tool is the way to go but some of the info might be old that i was reading. Anyone know if this is still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ordered a second Rift off Oculus last Friday, order updated today( i.e. payment ), so should be shipping soon, just a heads up for anyone wondering how long Oculus take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Calibos wrote: »
    He should get this one with the regular size facial interface
    https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

Need to get something like this myself, everyone in my house uses the thing!

Is the stock rift faceplate hard to remove? Don't want to ruin any warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have to say Elite is pretty disappointing visually in the Rift,didnt get a chance to use super sampling so this may have been the problem.

Feels like i have overhead as its smooth as silk at the steam VR ultra setting so may turn a few things down and set the super sampling at 1.5.

I read the oculus debug tool is the way to go but some of the info might be old that i was reading. Anyone know if this is still the case?

You may want to mod it with something like reshade but I'm blown away by elite even in its vanilla form. Only thing that stops me playing is it gets repetitive, sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Rick and Morty game is reduced on Steam. I've read the steam version uses Steam VR naturally, but the version on the Oculus store uses e Oculus SDK. is there a real world difference between the two?

• Advertisement

You may want to mod it with something like reshade but I'm blown away by elite even in its vanilla form. Only thing that stops me playing is it gets repetitive, sadly :(

It definitely has a grindy element to it and a steep learning curve but i enjoy it,can just jump on and chill doing a bit of space trucking/bounties while taking in the sights.

Thing is im struggling to get the sharpness in the HMD i was hoping for and because its all still new to me and im still figuring things out im unsure if its something im doing wrong or its just as good as it gets. Dont get me wrong,its really cool and the sense of being there is awesome. Especially in combat.

Ive done a bit of reading this morning and using EDProfiler utility seems to be a good place to start to tweak a bit more. Ill have a look at the shader mod too,i saw it linked earlier with EDFX so might have a look at that also cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im hoping this gets a wireless attachment like the vive. Hoping to buy one before the end of the month and cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I'm assuming the deal is on 'till the end of August yeah? After all the positive reviews here I feel I need this in my life and will pull the trigger next payday. PC meets the minimum and will do for now and look at upgrades early next year when I get my lovely annual tax return. :)

Ive done a bit of reading this morning and using EDProfiler utility seems to be a good place to start to tweak a bit more. Ill have a look at the shader mod too,i saw it linked earlier with EDFX so might have a look at that also cheers.

The hud colour really sucks, I found changing that - believe it or not - changed my whole impression of how good the gfx were.

The hud colour really sucks, I found changing that - believe it or not - changed my whole impression of how good the gfx were.

Ive read that aswell,EDProfiler has that function i believe so ill get onto trying it tonight

Anoybody live close to dublin 15 and want a 2m USB 3.0 extension lead?

Bought two in stead of one and a hdmi extender so ive no need for a second one. UGreen brand so its a good cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Just tried War Thunder.

WOW

I'm blown away, its so so fun in VR. Played 2 games, both times I topped the scoreboard for kills. Being able to look around is such a huge advantage abnd aiming is insanely easy. Very fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Was going to buy but my R9 200 isn't strong enough

If anyone has any recommendations and especially any links where to buy a good upgrade (I have tried but it's pretty tough at the moment to get an affordable GPU) I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Korvanica wrote: »
    Just tried War Thunder.

WOW

I'm blown away, its so so fun in VR. Played 2 games, both times I topped the scoreboard for kills. Being able to look around is such a huge advantage abnd aiming is insanely easy. Very fun !

Controller or flight stick? Would love to try it but only have a controller...

If anyone has any recommendations and especially any links where to buy a good upgrade (I have tried but it's pretty tough at the moment to get an affordable GPU) I would appreciate it.

GTX970 (adverts.ie) would get you into being able to VR. There are some issues in the market right now which make it a bad time to buy a GPU :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

the rift has a pentile display where there are more green pixels than red or blue, therefore green has a higher resolution, I.e. change the cockpit to green and you are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Anoybody live close to dublin 15 and want a 2m USB 3.0 extension lead?

Bought two in stead of one and a hdmi extender so ive no need for a second one. UGreen brand so its a good cable.

Beyond funny that I'm looking for a passive 2m usb 3 lead. It's about exactly the length I need.

Also wanted to ask anyone here if anyone had an idea of where to get a pcie USB card locally. My friend picked up a rift aswell, but sadly his usb 3 ports are incompatible

Ordered one online but will take about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Does anyone know where I can get a USB 3.0 card today around Clare/Limerick? I have the Inatech card ordered from Amazon but I was waiting all week to try the rift and now realise the 3.0 slots arent compatible. Really annoying.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maplins would definitely sell them though you could encounter the same problem (chipset not being supported).

Did you specifically get the one listed as compatiable for Rift? Did you connect the external power?

Maplins would definitely sell them though you could encounter the same problem (chipset not being supported).

Did you specifically get the one listed as compatiable for Rift? Did you connect the external power?

Sorry, shouldve clarified that a bit more. Just ordered the Inateck card today This one: [https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/5nr/Inateck-Express-Power-Connector-Controller-Adapter-Internal/B00FPIMJEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502550633&sr=8-2&keywords=pci+usb+3.0+inateck

because mine are ASUS ASmedia 3.0 so dont work. I wont have the card till next week now. Is there any way to get it working using the Intel 3.0 on a P8Z77 Board instead? or even 2.0. Nothing seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

KD11 wrote: »
    Sorry, shouldve clarified that a bit more. Just ordered the Inateck card today This one: [https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/5nr/Inateck-Express-Power-Connector-Controller-Adapter-Internal/B00FPIMJEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502550633&sr=8-2&keywords=pci+usb+3.0+inateck

because mine are ASUS ASmedia 3.0 so dont work. I wont have the card till next week now. Is there any way to get it working using the Intel 3.0 on a P8Z77 Board instead? or even 2.0. Nothing seems to be working.

Did you update the drivers for the onboard Asmedia controller?

There were updated drivers for the Asmedia 3.1 ports on my Asus Z170-A.

Try disabling the Asmedia USB controller in device manager and test again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Whats ASW and should it be on off?

My 3.1 port on my Asus z170 didn't work either, newest driver I und was 2016. Made no difference. My USB 3 ports were fine though

Calibos wrote: »
    Did you update the drivers for the onboard Asmedia controller?

There were updated drivers for the Asmedia 3.1 ports on my Asus Z170-A.

Try disabling the Asmedia USB controller in device manager and test again

Yeah they were updated. Figured it out. You need at least 5gb free in c: drive. Freaking amazing!
    Waiting for Robo Recall to download now.

Thor wrote: »
    Beyond funny that I'm looking for a passive 2m usb 3 lead. It's about exactly the length I need.

You in dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

You in dublin?

Indeed. Dundrum area.

Advertisement