Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I work in City West so if you'd like i can bring it to work tomorrow night and you can collect it.

Ill be in work from 7pm. Im a night worker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

superg wrote: »
    Whats ASW and should it be on off?

My 3.1 port on my Asus z170 didn't work either, newest driver I und was 2016. Made no difference. My USB 3 ports were fine though

ASW stands for Asynchronous Space Warp. Its Oculus' secret sauce that allows games to run as low as 45fps and yet still have 90 frames delivered to the headset. Leave it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've noticed that very few of my games display full screen to my monitor while I'm in the rift. They only display in a small window, presumably because my screen is 4k and the rift is not. This worry's me because my screensaver won't come on while the game is playing in a little window and I don't want screen burn. Is there anyway to either prevent anything at all from the Rift displaying on the monitor or making sure its full screen if it does?

superg wrote: »
    I've noticed that very few of my games display full screen to my monitor while I'm in the rift. They only display in a small window, presumably because my screen is 4k and the rift is not. This worry's me because my screensaver won't come on while the game is playing in a little window and I don't want screen burn. Is there anyway to either prevent anything at all from the Rift displaying on the monitor or making sure its full screen if it does?

Power off the monitor if your not using it?

I've put a shortcut to my screensaver on the desktop, trigger it before playing. Seems best option

Just playing dead or alive I think its called, lobbed a stick of dynamite at someone, touch controller flew out of my hand and knocked everything off my shelf. Reminder to use the straps.

EDIT:- Dead and buried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

anyone recommend extension cables for the Headset / Sensors?

need around 5m for the Headset and similar for one Sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

kingtiger wrote: »
    anyone recommend extension cables for the Headset / Sensors?

need around 5m for the Headset and similar for one Sensor

I got x4 of these, for the back of my case - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C7S2FRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (the four of them sit nicely now with all cables hidden, meaning I can connect the Rift without having to move anything)

Also got one of these too - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013ICN59Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had seen them recommended on Youtube, & they're working flawlessly

Decided to buy some usb leads to move one of my sensors to the opposite corner to the other one to give me better coverage of my space as one sensor is blocked to one side and so see's nothing there. Bought UGREEN leads as the reviews said they work with rift. Now I'm getting poor tracking on the 5M lead. On top of that when I use a 2M one just to test, the bloody thing says my sensors are too far apart. Max 2M it says, they are 2.8m apart. Moved one within 2m and it still says they are too far apart.

Will getting a third sensor in the middle of the other too help me or are the leads crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

played a bit more dead and buried yesterday, had not tried out the horde and the quickdraw modes.

My dad is going to think he has died and gone to heaven when he tries the quickdraw mode, he has always been mad about westerns and will just love the idea of being part of "the quick and the dead." 65 years old and still playing cowboys...

Looking forward to showing it to him next time he comes to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Just ordered one from the Oculus site. How long should it take to arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fian wrote: »
    played a bit more dead and buried yesterday, had not tried out the horde and the quickdraw modes.

My dad is going to think he has died and gone to heaven when he tries the quickdraw mode, he has always been mad about westerns and will just love the idea of being part of "the quick and the dead." 65 years old and still playing cowboys...

Looking forward to showing it to him next time he comes to the house.

If Lethal works on the Rift buy it for him, it has a whole bunch of quck draw (not cowboy) trials, single pistol, double pistol, throwing knives. I did'nt feel it had much replay value but but its intense

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Just ordered one from the Oculus site. How long should it take to arrive?

I ordered mine on the 26th of July & I'm still waiting... it's been stuck in Processing for Shipping for the last 10 days & when I tried cancelling I was told I couldn't has they have processed by card details... not exactly fantastic customer service that's for sure!

Hmm, I think I'll cancel and order it from Amazon.

Ordered from Amazon instead. Standard delivery, £10, expected delivery date August 28. Free delivery, expected delivery date August 22-23. Tough call.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ordered from Amazon instead. Standard delivery, £10, expected delivery date August 28. Free delivery, expected delivery date August 22-23. Tough call.

Send it to Parcel Motel in NI, and you'll get it delivered quicker for only €3.

Kiith wrote: »
    Send it to Parcel Motel in NI, and you'll get it delivered quicker for only €3.

I can handle a week, and this way it gets delivered straight to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Anyone have any look getting a third sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

where can you even buy extra sensors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

where can you even buy extra sensors?

Only from the Oculus Site

If you don't mind spending 20 quid extra I'd say Amazon is definitely the way to go. I ordered yesterday and it's just been dispatched. Should have it by Monday at the latest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My thoughts after the last two weeks. It's technically amazing. The sense of immersion is 2nd to none. Seriously, it's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it. Robo Recall is a whole lot of fun, and finding new ways to kill robots is extremely satisfying. The scale of everything in Elite changes the game, and makes it really enjoyable to just sit in a ship looking at the stars. And Love Echo is supposed to take things to an even greater level of immersion and story, so can't wait to play that this weekend. Also gonna try some of the horror games, as i love a good scare.

However, i'm not convinced that it is something i see myself spending a lot of time with right now. I've had a lot of fun with Robo Recall, really looking forward to starting Lone Echo, and have tried a few other demo's, but i don't really see what else i will use it for. I don't really see myself playing the same FPS games over and over, and other then Elite, there's not much longevity in any of the games I've played. I had a look at the upcoming games, and nothing really stands out for me. The resolution is also a bit of a problem for games like Elite, where i struggled with reading text at times.

Not sure i can justify having such an expensive piece of tech being unused, so I may end up selling it on in the next few weeks/months. I definitely see myself getting the next iteration of the tech (CV2, Vive 2 etc...) when the are more quality games and the resolution is improved in the the next 1-2 years.

tldr; great tech, amazing experiences, but not sure if there's enough to keep me hooked just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Just a quick question, I have a dual monitor setup with an XFX RX 470 that has 1xHDMI and 1xDVI being used, all that's left is 3 Display Ports. I have a DP to HDMI converter that I will hook up to one of the monitors and keep the dedicated HDMI for the Rift, any known issues about the 470 driving 3 displays so to speak? Or will I have to disconnect one of the displays every time I use the Oculus? Looking at ordering next week and would like to know before then.

Kiith wrote: »
    *snip*

For Elite if you use the oculus debug tool for supersamplimg to sharpen things up. Still not perfect and objects in the distance will still be a bit blurry but its a good bit better than default.

Ive found using the debug tool to be less taxing than using the ingame settings for some reason.

If you dont want to use the the tool set the ingame supersampling to .65 and headmounted display quality to 2.0 and see how that looks. You may meed to mess with general settings a bit then to maintain 90fps but it will look better. Shadows are a particularly heavy effect,reducing to low or off gives a lot of frames back,especially in stations.

Just arrived from Amazon after ordering it on Tuesday. I won't get to play it until tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

My extra rift ordered from Oculus.com will arrive on Monday, 13 days from order to mailed, will be 18 days in total once delivered, just in case anyone is wondering how long from Oculus.com

Bear in mind though that I paid 468 from Amazon. And that'll change based on what the exchange rate is at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Bear in mind though that I paid 468 from Amazon. And that'll change based on what the exchange rate is at the time.
    Yeah, that's pretty much why I went with the oculus store, I'm in no rush whatsoever as its a Christmas present and I still have to finish the PC build

Did you pay in euro or sterling?

Letting your bank do the currency exchange by paying in sterling is usually better than letting amazon do the exchange and paying in euro.

When i bought mine using amazon would have cost €471,using my bank it cost €461

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I have a dual monitor setup with an XFX RX 470 that has 1xHDMI and 1xDVI being used, all that's left is 3 Display Ports. I have a DP to HDMI converter that I will hook up to one of the monitors and keep the dedicated HDMI for the Rift, any known issues about the 470 driving 3 displays so to speak? Or will I have to disconnect one of the displays every time I use the Oculus? Looking at ordering next week and would like to know before then.

I have a 970 and haven't had any issues doing just that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

My Rift arrived from Oculus last week (3 weeks after I originally ordered it) & couldn't be happier with it :D I have an RX580 and the performance is great... no issues whatsoever and very smooth.

I find the experience amazing... but some of the best are with the various haunted house games you can get. I bought Affected Manor which is really good :D

Advertisement