Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It varies from person to person in terms of adjusting to it, I got the VR sickness as soon as I walked in Tuscany (which is known not to be a good example to start off with) and it took a short while for me to adjust. A day or so later I was fine with the Rift, I can just put it on and play any game without feeling nauseous.

Best thing to do is take it in short bursts at first, you have to get your brain to adjust to the fact that you're not physically moving.

I went from "Oh God!!" when I moved a tiny bit in the demos to running about in Mirrors Edge / Quake in no time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Steve SI wrote: »
    Interesting.

I've actually got the dual gopro mount (its a bit bulky as it's for the older gopro's) and 2 GoPro Hero 3's but not got around to testing it myself on the quadcopter. Might be suited to the new Phantom 2 (not the vision crap, the real 2) as it will have more lifting power and run time.

I've a load of upgrades in my DJI Phantom(internal and external) and cant wait to port them over to the Phantom 2 as currently they are reducing my flight time dramatically. GPS tracker(long range recovery), rfid tracker(short range recovery), flytrex(flight recorder/blackbox), gopro hero 3 in waterproof mount as well as custom landing skids and mounts. Basically its too heavy now.

For those wondering what the hell I'm on about please see below.

DSC_3556sml.jpg
    DSC_3577sml.jpg

That's a deadly set up. Did you have to get the UAV license for flying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It varies from person to person in terms of adjusting to it, I got the VR sickness as soon as I walked in Tuscany (which is known not to be a good example to start off with) and it took a short while for me to adjust. A day or so later I was fine with the Rift, I can just put it on and play any game without feeling nauseous.

Best thing to do is take it in short bursts at first, you have to get your brain to adjust to the fact that you're not physically moving.

I went from "Oh God!!" when I moved a tiny bit in the demos to running about in Mirrors Edge / Quake in no time.

I tried Quake after Tuscany and thought I was going to puke after 30 seconds! Euro Truck Simulator is very forgiving though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

in fairness, some folks get motion sickness from playing mirrors edge on a normal monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's a deadly set up. Did you have to get the UAV license for flying that?

No UAV license required at the moment. But it's only a matter of time before there are limitations put in place in Ireland(which might not be a bad thing).
    Since i replaced the transmitter and receiver with a more professional setup I've flown it quite high.
    Imagine some idiot flying one near an airport at 2000-3000 feet up, disaster!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would imagine at the airport there is a no fly for everything bar scheduled flights. They even try to stop birds flying around airports by using hawks to scare them away periodically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would imagine at the airport there is a no fly for everything bar scheduled flights. They even try to stop birds flying around airports by using hawks to scare them away periodically.

Yes, but with the range of these(with upgraded tx and rx) what's to stop an idiot parking up somewhere and flying close to an aircraft coming in to land trying to get some "great footage"?
    I used to work in the airport and there was always cars parked outside the fences with people sitting watching the planes land/take off. You could easily launch a quadcopter/drone from there and get close to a plane before anyone would be the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Possible upset for the future of the Rift from a 2007 Apple patent;

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/10/apples-work-on-video-goggles-highlighted-in-newly-granted-patent/

Might just mean they have to pay them licence money.

The patent system utterly is broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

grizzly wrote: »

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/10/apples-work-on-video-goggles-highlighted-in-newly-granted-patent/

Fuck off apple.
    The snake from the garden of Eden called and he is looking for licence money from ye.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No UAV license required at the moment. But it's only a matter of time before there are limitations put in place in Ireland(which might not be a bad thing).
    Since i replaced the transmitter and receiver with a more professional setup I've flown it quite high.

I was under the impression once a camera is on board it's regarded as a commercial aircraft by the aviation authority (regardless of what you use it for) and does require a license. Or so I've been told anyway, might be worth looking into just to be sure.

Would love to get my hands on one myself though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Grimebox wrote: »

Not really. Just because they have patented it doesn't mean they can now start suing Oculus. Goggles with screens built in are nothing new so in any court case all Oculus would have to do is show that there were a whole range of devices like this released before this patent was filed and Apple's patent would be invalidated. Saying that certain aspects of Apple's patent are new (at least as far as I've seen) such as the independent focusing of the two screens for vision correction. That's a pretty cool feature for people who use glasses. If that hasn't been done before and Apple did actually come up with this then why shouldn't they be able to patent it?

Even if someone else has already patented VR goggles, Apple would still be able to patent this because it improves upon it with the vision correction. They just wouldn't be able to sue someone for making a bog standard VR goggle without the vision correction.

On a side note: it shows just how pervasive Google has become that every time I went to type the work goggle, I spelt it google instead. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The patent system is really broken, even if in this case it shouldn't mean anything to Rift. Although it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple try and say they invented VR goggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Right im getting better :) But still a bit woozy. All I can saw is WOW it's just crazy using this piece of kit. The future looks bright.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Right im getting better :) But still a bit woozy. All I can saw is WOW it's just crazy using this piece of kit. The future looks bright.

Anything you recommend so far? "Titans of Space" has been my best experience so far. Some of the rollercoasters are good. I don't think it works that well with actual games so far. Skryim and Quake are unplayable due to motion sickness. Minecraft is okay but I have never played it before so I have no idea what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Anything you recommend so far? "Titans of Space" has been my best experience so far. Some of the rollercoasters are good. I don't think it works that well with actual games so far. Skryim and Quake are unplayable due to motion sickness. Minecraft is okay but I have never played it before so I have no idea what to do.

Lunar flight on steam is good, its impossibly hard but the immersion facter is great

A big danger for Oculus rift was always going to be that someone like Sony will come along and make a better unit. They have vastly more experience and resources in manufacturing, optics (from cameras etc), display production, motion sensors etc.

So patents are definitely going to play a big part in the future of Oculus and HMDs in general and unfortunately the big companies who might want a piece of the pie have huge portfolios. It would be awful to see Oculus do all the hard work and then have someone else swoop in and sue them into oblivion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

A big danger for Oculus rift was always going to be that someone like Sony will come along and make a better unit. They have vastly more experience and resources in manufacturing, optics (from cameras etc), display production, motion sensors etc.

So patents are definitely going to play a big part in the future of Oculus and HMDs in general and unfortunately the big companies who might want a piece of the pie have huge portfolios. It would be awful to see Oculus do all the hard work and then have someone else swoop in and sue them into oblivion.

But the Oculus Rift is for the PC Market only, and I can't see Sony coming out with a VR headset for PC's as well as consoles.

So I think they're safe in that regard.

I think Apple try and patent everything in the hopes one might stick. Prior art would quickly put an end to this system, it's basically been around for years and google already has a better product on the market.
    Sony will only go for a sure thing on a mass scale. That's the problem with many large multinationals and it's what leaves room for companies like oculus rift.

ScumLord wrote: »

Sony will only go for a sure thing on a mass scale. That's the problem with many large multinationals and it's what leaves room for companies like oculus rift.

Sony already have a non-tracking HMD which is anything but mass market or sure thing.

If the VR headset market turns out to be worth a lot of $ you can be sure big players will be interested in a piece of the pie. So as mentioned above, I think patents definitely will play a big role in the future of this market. Patent wars are often not about the big things ('VR headset') but very small details. Alls im saying is, if it turns out to be a viable product I hope they are well prepared.

• Advertisement

If the VR headset market turns out to be worth a lot of $ you can be sure big players will be interested in a piece of the pie.
    I'm guessing the big boys will let Oculus test the waters but I don't see VR being hugely popular. One of the main reasons 3D hasn't taken off in a huge way is because you need separate glasses for it to work and people don't like even that hassle.

The oculus will have a great market for PC sim people, it's ideal for that. But for casual gaming it may be more trouble than it's worth and won't work in a group. so once some friends call round it'll either be taking turns or using a normal screen.

My opinion on patents is close to that of Richard Stallman's - unrealistic. While the patent system in broken, there is no viable alternative. I think it stifles progress. And then there's stuff like this...

My opinion on patents is close to that of Richard Stallman's - unrealistic. While the patent system in broken, there is no viable alternative. I think it stifles progress. And then there's stuff like this...
    Patents cost a fortune making it financially unviable for most people and companies to go through the process without being certain they'll get their return. The problem is with huge companies like Apple is that the cost isn't high enough to stop them taking a chance. Maybe there should be a fine for frivolous patent claims but I don't see how that would work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Seriously considering ordering one of these next week (maybe the week after), would it still be worth it with the V2 being released sometime soon? It takes two months to arrive right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Seriously considering ordering one of these next week (maybe the week after), would it still be worth it with the V2 being released sometime soon? It takes two months to arrive right?

I'd wait until at least after CES next week. Hopefully we'll have some concrete info on V2 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ have they eliminate the moton sickness yet?....i read numerous reports of people puking only after 5 mins of use, and most people could only handle 15 mins of use?

there isint much point to this product if people are puking all over the place :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got zero sickness when playing it but only played for about 5 mins and it was space flying game i'd say it is more of an issue in FPS style.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

jenjenten wrote: »
    ^ have they eliminate the moton sickness yet?....i read numerous reports of people puking only after 5 mins of use, and most people could only handle 15 mins of use?

there isint much point to this product if people are puking all over the place :(

Plenty of people don't have that issue. If you ease yourself into it I doubt it's an issue unless you're just one of those people. Can't wait to have one :cool:

It really depends on what you play to trigger motion sickness. If I do unnatural movements, it triggers much quicker for me. Using a mouse to turn in game and using the headset to turn at the same time is a sure fire way to make me feel ill. Add fast movement on top of that and I'm done for the day. Also the latency (very slight) between the motion and the in-game world will cause sickness, that will be fixed in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any word on the retail release of this or is it all dev kits for the foreseeable future?

Advertisement