Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

mild tech support query - it seems like one of my controllers is acting up - it is as if it is constantly having the trigger pulled. Is there an easy solution for this?

I suppose first step is to just remove and replace the battery, which it didn't occur to me to do yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Trying it out there for the first time, currently downloading all the free games (and about 50 other free apps/games!!)

Bought Witchblood too for €3.99

So first impressions vs PSVR are: the tracking is very good. It will take some getting used to learning all the button combinations but I'm very impressed with that. I'd say PSVR is about 90% up to par in that respect, but in no way is that bad for playing, it's just the few small times when you might have to adjust your camera a bit more in PSVR than Oculus.

When it comes to visuals, I have to say there isn't *that* much between them.
    The Oculus is slightly higher quality, but only slightly. I was almost expecting the clarity you see on your monitor based on what I've read.

Not saying the clarity is bad, it's great, but not the groundbreaking "totes-amazeballs" eye-melting fest I was led to believe it was compared to the PSVR. I would say the PSVR is about 95% on par with the Oculus when it comes to visuals (this is comparing a PS4 Pro), considering the FOV is narrower on the Oculus and screen door effect a little more noticeable compared to PSVR.

Things like text appear pretty much identically on both systems (i.e. a little blurred).

So, I love it, but I also still love the PSVR and both are relatively comparable when taking price vs portability into account. I'll keep playing both I reckon (and I'm thankful of that as I've spent 100s on PSVR games!!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Fian wrote: »
    I suppose first step is to just remove and replace the battery, which it didn't occur to me to do yesterday evening.
    This is the first thing i would try, the controllers are generally very wonky if the batteries are flat giving all sorts of funky behavior( spinning, unexpected button presses, disappearing etc. )

lmimmfn wrote: »
    This is the first thing i would try, the controllers are generally very wonky if the batteries are flat giving all sorts of funky behavior( spinning, unexpected button presses, disappearing etc. )

Good advice, since this sorted it yesterday evening. Didn't need a new battery - current one still has plenty of charge, but removing and replacing it sorted the issue. Much like the first step with a wonky computer should normally be to turn it off and on again.......

mrcheez wrote: »

When it comes to visuals, I have to say there isn't *that* much between them.
    The Oculus is slightly higher quality, but only slightly. I was almost expecting the clarity you see on your monitor based on what I've read.

Not saying the clarity is bad, it's great, but not the groundbreaking "totes-amazeballs" eye-melting fest I was led to believe it was compared to the PSVR. I would say the PSVR is about 95% on par with the Oculus when it comes to visuals (this is comparing a PS4 Pro), considering the FOV is narrower on the Oculus and screen door effect a little more noticeable compared to PSVR.

:)

Make sure to press in or pull out the screen slightly - which i find makes a big difference to the visuals when you hit the sweet spot.

For me the PSVR has less of a screen door effect than occulus, but oculus games tend to go for much more realistic/less cartoony graphics. that may be a symptom of the computer power rather than the vr unit. So it is weird - i think rift is slightly better graphics but also more screen door. fortunately i tend to tune out the screen door after a minute or so, i just don't notice it after the first minute.

I tried a 3D movie (briefly) before going to bed last night. Very impressed, despite the lower resolution than on monitor. Have 2 of them ready to go next time my wife is out or something and I get a couple of hours to kill.

Other than that watching a movie in company is going to beat the 3D HMD, even if it will be in my living room rather than in a full cinema or on the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think to really see Oculus seperate from PSVR you have to play something like Robo Recall on max graphics - there is definitely a huge difference between the two in realistic games that require some grunt rather than novel, relatively simple or cartoon like games.

I've downloaded a few apps that I have on the PSVR so I could try a like for like, but I guess the main thing for me is that I haven't wasted money on the PSVR titles as I'll still be able to play them without wishing they were on the Oculus as it's not like a 1000% improvement as some people might have you believe, just a notable improvement.

If there's a sale on the same game on both systems, I could feasibly go for whichever has the bigger discount (or which one I want to bring with me on the laptop), rather than purely "this is unplayable on the PSVR compared to the Oculus".

On the other hand, PSVR/Oculus have now ruled out the possibility of me playing in 2D any longer*. Can't go back. VR is the 1000% improvement on gaming that I've been longing for.

Very happy with the construction of the Oculus vs the PSVR though, it certainly "feels" more expensive than the PSVR.

*I'll still play my SNES Mini in 2D of course ;)

One thing I'd be interested in trying is the mCable Gaming Edition upscaling cable I bought to tighten up the visuals on my PSVR.

In theory I could use this with my Oculus as well to see what it does. I'll report back here if does anything groundbreaking.

From what I can tell no-one has tried the mCable with the Oculus yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Maybe my sensors aren't set up properly but I can't see how two sensors can properly do 360. If you play a bow & arrow game, for example, at least one of your controllers is going to be blocked by your body at some point.

Just bought a PiMax 4K headset there for the laugh. I know it doesn't have touch or positional tracking but I'm super curious to see what it's like for something like Elite Dangerous or watching movies. All the reviews I've read say it's a huge improvement on the Rift/Vive in terms of screen door effect.

Will report back after it arrives :)

• Advertisement

Zatoichi wrote: »
    Maybe my sensors aren't set up properly but I can't see how two sensors can properly do 360. If you play a bow & arrow game, for example, at least one of your controllers is going to be blocked by your body at some point.

On this point I just tried Robo Recall (excellent game) in 360 mode with two sensors and it works perfectly.

I put both sensors at the top of the bookshelves either side of my TV and pointed them downwards facing into centre of my playspace approx 2m from the TV. They are 5ft apart and 7ft off the ground.

Facing my back to them I seemed to have perfect tracking at all times. Weird.

Is Robo Recall more forgiving if you use two sensors?

I ended up walking all over the gaff and almost bumped into the TV! Great fun but disorientating.
    Definite tracking improvement over the PSVR here though ;)

Am I missing something here? Should the 360 tracking not work at all when the sensors are mounted at the front?

EDIT: btw this is so true: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5x0vqg/45_min_of_robo_recall/

The sooner a wireless adaptor arrives for the headset the better

Lucky's Tale is pretty amazing graphically and that's the first real standout I've seen so far compared to a similar game on the PSVR in VR Playroom. Robo Recall is great too, but the wow factor graphically still seems to be in Lucky's Tale with the bright colours and clear objects in the distance.

I also find the headset more comfortable than the PSVR. I think this must be the new single piece cushion they've used as everywhere else I had read the PSVR headset was supposed to be more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Set mine up yesterday and am really impressed. I would prefer games where you sit down though, do most owners stand when they play or sit?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Set mine up yesterday and am really impressed. I would prefer games where you sit down though, do most owners stand when they play or sit?

You can play most stand up games on a standard PC swivel chair. Even games like Robo Recall if you are feeling lazy.

Depends on the game obviously! Some games would be impossible sitting and others, standing. I like some of the sims sitting, but playing Robo Recall standing (and spinning, twisting, putting your back out, trashing your room,etc) is outrageously good fun.

Ensure you get Superhot ... that game is like yoga and must be played standing up.

I played Lucky's Tale standing up and felt like I was swaying a bit. So I'm guessing platformers are best played sitting down.
    Your username is apt to describe the sensation :)

Google Earth VR is a fantastic use for VR.

In five minutes I was able to retrace the steps I took climbing Mt Kilimanjaro (especially the extreme hike on the last day) and reenacted looking out over Africa from the summit... then straight after flew to Easter Island and found the secret beach I discovered off the beaten track and looked up at the stars again.

Superb!

..also great to get a feel for places you are planning to head to, such as the topography and how hilly it is for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

So I demo'd it for 2 people over the weekend, first guy cancelled his Xbox One order after 30 secs of the headset being on his head, he was only looking at the house/menu thing lol. 2nd guy is thinking of cancelling his pool table for his 2nd floor attic conversion and having it as a VR room instead. Do Oculus need sales people? Good wage yeah? :p

I'm considering trying it for computer programming dev, since you could in theory have countless monitors and not have to take up valuable desk space.

Only downside is the fact you may occasionally need to look at the keyboard for keys like F8/10 that you rarely use, but I guess I could glue a small piece of plastic to those keys to make them easier to find.

Are there any keyboards that can show up on screen and show your hand position as the Touch controllers do when your finger hovers over a button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Loving Defense Grid 2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm considering trying it for computer programming dev, since you could in theory have countless monitors and not have to take up valuable desk space.

Only downside is the fact you may occasionally need to look at the keyboard for keys like F8/10 that you rarely use, but I guess I could glue a small piece of plastic to those keys to make them easier to find.

Are there any keyboards that can show up on screen and show your hand position as the Touch controllers do when your finger hovers over a button?

Would the resolution of the screens in the rift be high enough to read text legibly on the VR "monitors"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Onward is having a free weekend on Steam if anyone is interested. VR Military Shooter.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/Onward/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Onward is having a free weekend on Steam if anyone is interested. VR Military Shooter.

Any boardsies want to multiplayer this at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Doge wrote: »
    Any boardsies want to multiplayer this at the weekend?

Dont just pick up the hat, put it on

That confused the hell out of me

Is adding Steam* to the Oculus menu very straightforward now?

I want to jump between all my games using the headset, and not have to look at the computer monitor.

So far I've only experienced the Oculus library.

and pr0n of course ;)

Ppl, apparently we need a lot of posts with "+1" in them before the VR forum gets created so could you all contribute pls and we can close off this megathread and start real conversations about VR

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057772102&page=3

Thanks a mill

Does anyone else get eyestrain with the Rift?

I get it a lot in my right eye even with pupil distance configured properly.

Never had this problem with PSVR for some reason.

Doge wrote: »
    Does anyone else get eyestrain with the Rift?

I get it a lot in my right eye even with pupil distance configured properly.

Never had this problem with PSVR for some reason.

Haven't noticed any particular difference between the two myself. How long are you using it before it hits?

Maybe take a break for a few days between. Eyestrain probably isnt something you'd want to power through.

• Advertisement

Haven't noticed any particular difference between the two myself. How long are you using it before it hits?

Maybe take a break for a few days between. Eyestrain probably isnt something you'd want to power through.

I dont use it much and get it within half an hour. Not sure what it is.

Advertisement