Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Doge wrote: »
    I dont use it much and get it within half an hour. Not sure what it is.
    Have you tried different lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Have you tried different lenses?

Nope, just the stock lenses. My eye sight is perfect so I wouldnt need to use prescription lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Doge wrote: »
    Nope, just the stock lenses. My eye sight is perfect so I wouldnt need to use prescription lenses.

Would it be a reaction to God rays?

I note they are more pronounced on the Oculus and might come across a little glarey compared to similar screens on PSVR.

Try Allumette on PSVR and then run it on Oculus and see if you can find what point you feel less comfortable compared to the PSVR. The God rays are quite pronounced when the screen is dark during the start sequence when the little windows start appearing.

Solution might be to lower the brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

mrcheez wrote: »
    Would it be a reaction to God rays?

I note they are more pronounced on the Oculus and might come across a little glarey compared to similar screens on PSVR.

Try Allumette on PSVR and then run it on Oculus and see if you can find what point you feel less comfortable compared to the PSVR. The God rays are quite pronounced when the screen is dark during the start sequence when the little windows start appearing.

Solution might be to lower the brightness.

Thats a good logical suggestion, thanks.

Battlezone is 50% off this weekend at €20.

I didn't get this on PSVR, so gonna go for the higher-res Oculus one as it's supposed to be excellent on either platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Question for anyone using the Inateck PCI-E card, are you plugging your headset and all your sensors into it or using it in conjunction with other ports you already have?

Mine doesn't seem to like it when I plug two sensors and the headset in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Plugging everything into the expansion card. No problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

superg wrote: »
    Question for anyone using the Inateck PCI-E card, are you plugging your headset and all your sensors into it or using it in conjunction with other ports you already have?

Mine doesn't seem to like it when I plug two sensors and the headset in.
    There's actually 2 USB controllers on the Inateck, I don't have the link but using port 1+3 or 2+4 should produce the best results

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Finally got to play Echo Arena and it nearly ended me :)
    Had to sit on the chair for that one. Was hitting walls while standing up and nearly falling over from the impact reactions......it's class though, ISS Mission meets Rocket League with frizbees, what more do u want? ;p

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Finally got to play Echo Arena and it nearly ended me :)
    Had to sit on the chair for that one. Was hitting walls while standing up and nearly falling over from the impact reactions......it's class though, ISS Mission meets Rocket League with frizbees, what more do u want? ;p

Have you played Lone Echo yet?

Price is a little out of my budget but once it hits €20 I'm on that bad boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Same as, mecheez, once it drops in price I'll be on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    There's actually 2 USB controllers on the Inateck, I don't have the link but using port 1+3 or 2+4 should produce the best results

Is this for defo? I was looking at the cards that had two controllers and they were 90 odd quid. I got the cheap one, specs make no mention of two controllers.

That said I have it all working in ports 2,3 and 4. Seems there's an issue with port 1

This video is pretty hilarious

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVd2UsLkoU4

Apparently a lot of people follow "Gameranx" (I never heard of it), so hopefully potential adopters won't be swayed by the misinformed judgement of the presenter.

He says current gen VR is "pretty amazing" and then goes on to slate it. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

This video is pretty hilarious

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVd2UsLkoU4

Apparently a lot of people follow "Gameranx" (I never heard of it), so hopefully potential adopters won't be swayed by the misinformed judgement of the presenter.

He says current gen VR is "pretty amazing" and then goes on to slate it. Bizarre.

Yeah, I saw that vid, a bit of a rambling fluff piece tbh. No mention of driving/flight sims where I think VR really excels.

saneman wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw that vid, a bit of a rambling fluff piece tbh. No mention of driving/flight sims where I think VR really excels.

VR excels in the majority of implementations imo. It even improves standard 3D platformers immensely.

Look at Witchblood. This is an otherwise standard platformer, but add VR to the experience and you are suddenly pulled into the game world.

I personally think VR takes gaming in all genres to a new level.

Why does Oculus seem to get releases later than Vive?

Just heard Fallout 4 is being released for Vive in 2017 and Oculus in 2018.

Can you not play Vive games using the touch controllers or does the software need to be specially written for each headset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Because Bethesda have an ongoing lawsuit with Oculus, that's the only reason really. I'm sure someone will get it running in a short timeframe but the lack of native support for both those Bethesda releases is irritating (Fallout 4 and Doom VR).

Is there a way of getting the latest Oculus sales emailed to you?

Apart from randomly checking https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/ I've no way of knowing when a particular game is on sale.

Isthereanydeal doesn't seem to include Oculus Store as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Have you played Lone Echo yet?

Price is a little out of my budget but once it hits €20 I'm on that bad boy.
    Lone Echo is brilliant game, graphics are excellent and they have nailed movement in a space environment. One thing I will say it's a little short.

It's certainly a must have game for your collection.

Drunkn Bar Fight down to €5.99 this weekend

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1207497572657758/

Looks pretty damned good fun

• Advertisement

The Oculus Store really is atrocious

How the hell do you sort games by price etc using your browser?
    All I see are these gigantic postcard-sized images that are a chore to scroll through:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

Is there something like psprices for Oculus?!?

EDIT: Actually I just found this on reddit: http://www.ggfilter.com/f/EPUEsYfQ/vr-games-with-steam-or-oculus-store-exclusivity-fo

handy

Re: Pimax 4K headset.

PIMAX-4K-UHD-Virtual-Reality-3D-Headset-detachable-ear.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if mine is somehow faulty given the high praise and even half-decent reviews it's gotten some places - horrible, horrible ghosting that makes enjoying anything extremely difficult.

Image quality is better than Oculus for watching video, though not astoundingly so, but having said that the blacks in the headset seem completely murky which makes for very poor quality in the VR cinema as an example when looking at the environment. God-rays nowhere near as bad as Oculus though and 'screen door effect' largely gone.

The Pimax software is pretty patchy but the headset works pretty well with SteamVR so no issues there really. No touch controllers obviously so limited use unless you're a big sim/racing fan (which I know a lot of VR users are).

Haven't had a chance to properly test out a VR game (as almost everything I own is on Oculus store, not Steam, and it's a pain in the ass to get it working with Oculus home) but from what limited use I've had it is not great for gaming due to the bad ghost effect.

Put back on the Rift afterwards and it was night and day in every aspect.

Design wise it is a nice headset. As sturdy as the Oculus, and I prefer the headphones over those on the Rift as they're more comfortable and sit more over the ear which makes for a good sound experience. Actually much easier to wear glasses with it than with Oculus, too, which is a nice plus.

Pros:

- Better image quality than Oculus Rift
    - Dramatically reduced screen door effect, watching movies is somewhat viable
    - Good headset design
    - Head tracking works well
    - Works well with SteamVR
    - Only needs 1xUSB 2.0 and 1xHDMI
    - Cheap

Cons:

- Bad ghosting which makes gaming somewhat poor
    - No touch options
    - Bad black levels
    - Mediocre software and some minor issues with SteamVR

Verdict - Has some promise but ultimately not worth it, I'd genuinely probably prefer a 2nd hand DK2 over the Pimax 4K for novely purposes - maybe unless I was purely a simulation gamer.

Put back on the Rift afterwards and it was night and day in every aspect.

Night and day meaning Rift better in every aspect?

Your review seems to say one is better in some aspects than the other.

The only thing better on the Pimax in total isolation is image quality/resolution which overall is pretty useless considering the horrible ghosting and that VR is all about enjoying a living interactive world - unless the only thing you plan doing is watch movies.

The only thing better on the Pimax in total isolation is image quality/resolution which overall is pretty useless considering the horrible ghosting and that VR is all about enjoying a living interactive world - unless the only thing you plan doing is watch movies.

Is the FOV better?

It's the one thing that really stands out for me as a negative vs the PSVR.

In Oculus I feel like I'm wearing a snorkel mask, whereas in PSVR I feel like I'm wearing a motorbike helmet and have more peripheral vision (which comes in handy for games like Brookhaven)

I meant to mention that. It's actually even worse than the Oculus.

Now You're Playing With Power!

427027.jpg

w00t! :D

phew... lucky I bought this lot when I did, if I bought it today (based on exchange rates) it would have cost me an extra €200-250 !

*shakes fist at German electorate*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Oculus Rift Content Refund Policy

https://www.oculus.com/legal/rift-content-refund-policy/

Basically you can get a refund if you have played less than 2 hours and apply within 14 days of buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Can anyone recommend a good sitting down game?

Want to buy a game but not sure what.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a good sitting down game?

Want to buy a game but not sure what.

Battlezone was €20 a few days ago, gone back up now.

I bought Drop Dead as well for €10 which is a good on-rails shooter you can play sitting down.

Wait for the weekend sales and see if anything good is discounted.

Advertisement