Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    Wilson's Heart is 50% off too, is that worth checking out?

Damnit Wilson's Heart is 75% off today... hate when they do that so close to a previous discount :mad:

Anyway grab it for €10 while ya can

Could someone clarify for me...

I got Minecraft VR for Windows 10 off the Oculus Store for free, but it has a problem starting up.

Is this just a VR "add on" and am I supposed to have purchased a copy of Minecraft separately?

I have Windows 10 OEM on my laptop if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nah, it works fine on its own. I've tried it, though I had a few issues getting it to run properly in full screen VR mode. Worked flawlessly in the sort of 'Minecraft VR Cinema' mode but for full world VR the positional tracking just stopped working everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Isint there minecrift also which is a mod?

Nah, it works fine on its own. I've tried it, though I had a few issues getting it to run properly in full screen VR mode. Worked flawlessly in the sort of 'Minecraft VR Cinema' mode but for full world VR the positional tracking just stopped working everytime.

OK so its free for Oculus Rift users then, but normal flatscreen users have to pay to play?

Or is it free for all Windows 10 users?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Isint there minecrift also which is a mod?
    Guaranteed to make you sick too :D

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Guaranteed to make you sick too :D
    Haha never tried it

OK so its free for Oculus Rift users then, but normal flatscreen users have to pay to play?

Or is it free for all Windows 10 users?

So again, I'm still confused.

Why is this $26: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/minecraft-for-windows-10/9nblggh2jhxj

But this is free: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/741306562635466/

?

Is the VR one a cut down version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

So again, I'm still confused.

Why is this $26: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/minecraft-for-windows-10/9nblggh2jhxj

But this is free: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/741306562635466/

?

Is the VR one a cut down version?

The VR one doesn't work without the original - you need to buy the game, then you get VR version free - like a free expansion pack / DLC sort of.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Fian wrote: »
    The VR one doesn't work without the original - you need to buy the game, then you get VR version free - like a free expansion pack / DLC sort of.

If you own the original pc version of minecraft you can get the win10 version for free from the windows store

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »

That's what I asked originally but TerrorFirmer said it worked fine on its own.

I've never owned Minecraft in any form so the freebie would have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

That's what I asked originally but TerrorFirmer said it worked fine on its own.

I've never owned Minecraft in any form so the freebie would have been nice.
    Try and play it then, see what happens?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Try and play it then, see what happens?

It was giving me some "driver" error so I didn't go back to it but I'll try again when I'm back from abroad

I think the consensus is that its just a "VR add on" though, rather than the full licensed copy of Minecraft.
    Odd the Rift screen doesn't mention it requires the other software though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I dunno if its changed but when I tried the Win10 free Minecraft it had a VR option but it didn't work right - VR cinema mode worked fine, but actually playing in the world I couldn't get free look to work.

Oh right there's a free Minecraft?

Time limited or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters fame is trying to solve the issue of VR Locomotion in this indiegogo campaign:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jamie-hyneman-s-virtual-reality-electric-shoes-vr#/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dunno why, trackpad locomotion works

Bambi wrote: »
    Dunno why, trackpad locomotion works

That the big platform thing you walk on?

The shoes approach seems nice and neat if it works and easier to store unlike those large platforms.

Just bought a table-tennis sim called Racket Fury on Rift for €8.99

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1389400304430016/

This is superb. The fact that the Touch controller feels like a bat in your hand makes this quite possibly the most immersive game I've played so far.

I played about 3 hours and didn't realise the time had flown.

Just bought a table-tennis sim called Racket Fury on Rift for €8.99

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1389400304430016/

This is superb. The fact that the Touch controller feels like a bat in your hand makes this quite possibly the most immersive game I've played so far.

I played about 3 hours and didn't realise the time had flown.
    Have you tried NewRetroArcade? its fantastic and moreso if you have an arcade stick( got one specially for it )

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Have you tried NewRetroArcade? its fantastic and moreso if you have an arcade stick( got one specially for it )

Yeah heard about that one alright.

I'll have to dig out all my old arcade ROMs. Is there a Max number of machines you can setup?

Yeah heard about that one alright.

I'll have to dig out all my old arcade ROMs. Is there a Max number of machines you can setup?
    Yes because its in a physical area but there are around 22 so its fine

I'm going to pick up a 3rd sensor assuming they drop in price for black friday.

I know this was discussed earlier but what is the general consensus on what you need to get to extend the cables? Do I need to go for an active cable?

The distance will be around 10-12m to get the cable running along my ceiling to rear wall, and ensuring it's secured in a hidden way.

Can I get a white cable?

This thread pretty much dead?

Vive and PSVR are quite active.

Edit: correction. Vive isn't active either. What gives?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Most people who wanted one have had it a while, and there hasn't been any big news for a while. I'd say these threads will be quiet enough till either a brilliant game comes out, or the next version of the Vive/Rift/PSVR is announced.

Kiith wrote: »
    Most people who wanted one have had it a while, and there hasn't been any big news for a while. I'd say these threads will be quiet enough till either a brilliant game comes out, or the next version of the Vive/Rift/PSVR is announced.

Lone Echo isn't brilliant?

Anyway just interesting how the dynamic is different compared to the PSVR enthusiasm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't bother posting here, use the reddit vive/vr forums instead. There was a push for a VR forum with a lot of support but some clown locked the thread and we never heard any more of it.

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't bother posting here, use the reddit vive/vr forums instead. There was a push for a VR forum with a lot of support but some clown locked the thread and we never heard any more of it.

Aye that was my forum suggestion, which was then going to go for a trial run but Beasty is having a hard time "convincing" the other admins to give it a go for some reason.

I mainly use reddit/oculus and reddit/PSVR too, which are infectious in their enthusiasm, but thought it would be nice not to drive away all the new VR users from boards so suggested the VR forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Bought one myself. Had toyed with the idea for a while as the PSVR isn't getting much use. Combination of new baby and long set up time makes it less appealing when i only get small windows to play.

But Amazon dropped it to £350 with the touch controllers and i'd £140 in Amazon credit on my account from recent screw ups.

Looking forward to getting it delivered next week.

• Advertisement

Bought one myself. Had toyed with the idea for a while as the PSVR isn't getting much use. Combination of new baby and long set up time makes it less appealing when i only get small windows to play.

But Amazon dropped it to £350 with the touch controllers and i'd £140 in Amazon credit on my account from recent screw ups.

Looking forward to getting it delivered next week.

Nice deal!

Oculus is fairly quick to setup. I have a laptop that I bring down into the large living room when I want to play. My sensors are already setup on the bookshelves.

Takes about 2 mins to plug everything in and fire away so it's fairly easy to pick up when you need to. Also the VR software starts as soon as you put on the headset, which is nice. No need to fiddle around with keyboard/mouse once you've got it on.

Advertisement