Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Thinking of selling mine, wanted to try it, not really arsed. Only reason to keep is for driving sims and flying sims but the resolution isn't good enough for the latter yet, maybe the next one will be and I don't get enough time to play the former although its very good when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

superg wrote: »
    Thinking of selling mine, wanted to try it, not really arsed. Only reason to keep is for driving sims and flying sims but the resolution isn't good enough for the latter yet, maybe the next one will be and I don't get enough time to play the former although its very good when I do.

It's really weird but for me resolution "issues" eventually completely dissipated because of the immense boost in immersion.

At first resolution bugged me but now I don't even notice it, but what determines a "good'" game in VR is the level of immersion.

It's a shame because a lot of people don't bother getting into VR due to perceived graphical issues, but don't realise it just doesn't matter.

mrcheez wrote: »
    It's really weird but for me resolution "issues" eventually completely dissipated because of the immense boost in immersion.

At first resolution bugged me but now I don't even notice it, but what determines a "good'" game in VR is the level of immersion.

It's a shame because a lot of people don't bother getting into VR due to perceived graphical issues, but don't realise it just doesn't matter.

It absolutely matters in a flight sim when you can't read the gauges, no amount of tweaking I did got it to a level I was happy with. Outside of that I totally agree, the VR games like Robo Recall etc are amazing and resolution isn't a problem, they look fantastic but I got bored of that stuff very quickly.

I've just reminded my self tonight of how good it is for racing games though so I don't think I can let it go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Not long now, Rift Core 2.0 :D

https://www.vrheads.com/rift-core-20

It absolutely matters in a flight sim when you can't read the gauges, no amount of tweaking I did got it to a level I was happy with. Outside of that I totally agree, the VR games like Robo Recall etc are amazing and resolution isn't a problem, they look fantastic but I got bored of that stuff very quickly.

I've just reminded my self tonight of how good it is for racing games though so I don't think I can let it go:D

I have Assetto Corsa (havent even started it yet since I bought it) but have my new G29 wheel arriving in the morning. Can't wait.

I have Dirt Rally already on PSVR, so any other driving games I should check out for the Rift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I have Assetto Corsa (havent even started it yet since I bought it) but have my new G29 wheel arriving in the morning. Can't wait.

I have Dirt Rally already on PSVR, so any other driving games I should check out for the Rift?
    Project Cars is good if more arcadey and FFB isint great compared to the others but its good fun in a different sense, cheap on cdkeys now too.

Arcadey is good.

Would be cool if they did some crazy OTT driving games in VR like Split/Second too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How long since you tried it? The control panels are easily visible in il2 and prepar3d, think aerofly too

24 hour flash sale in oculus store atm

Wow, that's how you do VR Oculus. Well impressed with the update, a lot more clarity especially with text, can't get over the vast improvement graphically, it's amazing. Love it!

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Wow, that's how you do VR Oculus. Well impressed with the update, a lot more clarity especially with text, can't get over the vast improvement graphically, it's amazing. Love it!

Woah what? Graphics improved in games too??

Currently playing Doom VFR on my PSVR but will switch to Oculus tomorrow

mrcheez wrote:

Raceroom Experience is the one I spend most of my time on.
    Bambi wrote:
    How long since you tried it? The control panels are easily visible in il2 and prepar3d, think aerofly too

I'm using Microsofts one with Flyinside.

Graphics improved in games too??
    Sure looks to be :D

Dash is complaining that my NVIDIA drivers are out of date, do I update the drivers through the GeForce Experience app, or just direct download?

Haven't had to upgrade graphics card drivers in a few years on my old non-gaming machine.

I updated the drivers manually, hate Windows updating them.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I updated the drivers manually, hate Windows updating them.

tried the GeForce Experience there and the "update drivers" option was greyed out and unselectable.

Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

hellboy99 wrote: »

Was there a software update?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Was there a software update?

Beta update - new Oculus Dash. Looks fantastic. You can enable in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

tried the GeForce Experience there and the "update drivers" option was greyed out and unselectable.

Odd.

The latest drivers can also be downloaded directly from the nvidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Generally new drivers cover a crop of new game releases to ensure support but I like to let the dust settle before installing unless I'm having an issue that I think the drivers might fix.

Graphics drivers are game-specific now? Wow, I'm so out of touch :)

• Advertisement

Graphics drivers are game-specific now? Wow, I'm so out of touch :)
    Always have been to optimize for the latest games released or fix known issues introduced in previous drivers. I always check the driver version thread on guru3d.com to see if its good or bad, I.e. needs a hit fix update or not.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Always have been to optimize for the latest games released or fix known issues introduced in previous drivers. I always check the driver version thread on guru3d.com to see if its good or bad, I.e. needs a hit fix update or not.

Nah hasn't always been like that. Maybe it started in last ten years or summat.

Nah hasn't always been like that. Maybe it started in last ten years or summat.
    been like that since 2002 when i got back into pc gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

I have an i5 4460 CPU which just about meets requirements.
    So is is worth buying, I have it in my amazon cart and ready to go!
    Its also about €15 cheaper off Amazon than Oculus FYI

Of course!

Just make sure your video card is powerful enough too.

skankles wrote: »
    I have an i5 4460 CPU which just about meets requirements.
    So is is worth buying, I have it in my amazon cart and ready to go!
    Its also about €15 cheaper off Amazon than Oculus FYI
    Also lone echo is free with orders from oculus check that amazon one will have that too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Finally got time to get it set up. Pretty impressive alright. Not a huge jump from the PSVR on the surface, but the tracking, especially the touch controllers are pretty amazing.

Just got through the little intro thing with the wall-E looking robot, and had a quick blast on robo recall. It's ok. Will download a few more.

Anyone else buy the Fresco USB 3.0 pci card? I'm having an issue with mine. I can see it in device manager after installing the drivers but nothing is registering when i plug in a usb device. Sensors, headset, even a usb stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

And if anyone could do a top 3 Oculus games to buy? I've 90 euro on steam just begging to be spent.

And if anyone could do a top 3 Oculus games to buy? I've 90 euro on steam just begging to be spent.

Lone Echo

Racket Fury

and then anything from Wilson's Heart / Mage's Tale / <insert other recommendation>

ah sorry you're gonna spend them on Steam store? Hmm no idea, I haven't ventured out of Oculus Store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Superhot would definitely be one. The concept works really well in VR. One of the only games I've tried where it kept me in for 60mins+.

Dirt Rally is excellent as well but I'd only recommend it if you like driving games. It's seriously unforgiving. I can only play it in short bursts, even in non-VR, because I need to concentrate so much!

Advertisement