Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

You need a HDMI repeater also. Yeah I used heat shrink tubing to tidy everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You need a HDMI repeater also. Yeah I used heat shrink tubing to tidy everything.

Any cable ties involved or just some insulated tape?

Any cable ties involved or just some insulated tape?

I originally used some tie wraps but didn't like the bulge they created so I used some self-amalgamating tape I had knocking about, any oul tape would suffice though.

Would I be ok going 3m with that repeater, how far did you go?

• Advertisement

Would I be ok going 3m with that repeater, how far did you go?

Both USB and HDMI are 3m long. Both Amazon Basic branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I don't need a repeater for my cables?

I think those ones listed are similar to mine (posted earlier)

mrcheez wrote: »

No I used a repeater also, sorry for the confusion.

Yea I just clicked on your link, are yours 3m with no repeater and working fine?

Ah lads, to repeater or not : )

• Advertisement

Yea I just clicked on your link, are yours 3m with no repeater and working fine?

No man, 3m with a HDMI repeater. Didn't even try without a repeater TBH.

Just make sure you get a regular HDMI cable and not the one you've selected in the picture. i.e you need a male to male HDMI to use with the repeater.

Just make sure you get a regular HDMI cable and not the one you've selected in the picture.

That's only if I need to use a repeater though? Was going to chance it without it, read some of the reviews of the cable and seem to be working but might depend on graphics card, I've gtx1070 in a laptop I wonder is it kicking out as much power as the pc one.

That's only if I need to use a repeater though? Was going to chance it without it, read some of the reviews of the cable and seem to be working but might depend on graphics card, I've gtx1070 in a laptop I wonder is it kicking out as much power as the pc one.

Yeah, only if you intend to use a repeater. I wouldn't skimp on the repeater though, while researching it proved to be a key ingredient to success. Near enough guaranteed to work as long as you use a repeater.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Checked there, I got 2m with no repeater so perhaps 3m is where it reaches critical cut off :)

My gtx1070 is in a laptop.

All gtx1070s are equivalent power-wise, laptop or desktop.

Maybe just get the 2m if unsure? It's perfect for the full play area that you would typically use a rift in, unless you want to put the cables across the ceiling in which case you might need 3m.

Checked there, I got 2m with no repeater so perhaps 3m is where it reaches critical cut off :)

3m can work without a repeater (if you manage to nail a good HDMI/GPU output combo) but I wasn't taking any chances. Repeater will take all the guesswork and doubt out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Heres a Video on the subject of Headset extension cables from VR Youtuber RealityCheckVR

Maybe just get the 2m if unsure? It's perfect for the full play area that you would typically use a rift in, unless you want to put the cables across the ceiling in which case you might need 3m.

Definitely an option. In my case I lose about a meter due to the way I route my breakout cable so indeed 2m may suit most situations.

Cheers for the help, one last question have £3 50 more to spend for free delivery, do you know what size heat sink tubing to get to tidy the ends?

Cheers for the help, one last question have £3 50 more to spend for free delivery, do you know what size heat sink tubing to get to tidy the ends?

Not sure, the heat shrink on the repeater end was pretty wide, approx 1.5". The other end is much less 3/4", 1" maybe.

• Advertisement

Not sure, the heat shrink on the repeater end was pretty wide, approx 1.5". The other end is much less 3/4", 1" maybe.

Cheers I'll just get a selection box it's cheap, probably a few cables I need to tidy up anyway.

Cheers I'll just get a selection box it's cheap, probably a few cables I need to tidy up anyway.

Perfect! Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

I’m using this hub in the floppy bay of my PC which has a HDMI port, 1 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 as well as card readers and 2A charging ports.

440960.jpeg

I have the hdmi cable that’s attached to the hub going through one of the ducts / holes for water cooling pipes at the back of the case and into the graphics cards hdmi:

440961.jpeg

It was a bit pricey at £40 when I bought it, but it’s the only kind of solution which exists and doesn’t depend on you buying a special graphics card with internal hdmi ports.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/InLine-33394V-Front-Floppy-Reader/dp/B00BU977Y2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517992523&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Inline+hdmi+usb+hub

How does that work Dodge, is that just a normal male hdmi cable running from the back of the card reader direct to the graphics card, this might fix my problem as I made bits of the USB ports like you have on the top of the tower when the headset got yanked.

How does that work Dodge, is that just a normal male hdmi cable running from the back of the card reader direct to the graphics card, this might fix my problem as I made bits of the USB ports like you have on the top of the tower when the headset got yanked.

Yeah just a normal male hdmi cable hardwired to the hub. It also comes with a PCI bracket with a hole in it so you can pass the hdmi cable through that and out the back of your case.

The only con about that is that it takes up the space of a PCI card.

Snap! Was I the one that recommended the front panel HDMI/USB bay yoke to you?

Rd4RvXj.jpg

Only blocks a PCI slot if you're running a eATX mobo though I think.

Y9nhq0P.jpg

Heres mine in the last PCI'e slot in my case beyond the end of my mATX mobo. (Bottom slot in a Vertical orientated case. Left in this photo because I use my case on its side.)

Mines going to be rendered defunct soon though when I make some extended headset cables that'll run from the back ports of the PC up the wall and across the ceiling inside some white trunking to a retractable cable setup to keep the Headset cable up out of the way from now on.

Calibos wrote: »
    Snap! Was I the one that recommended the front panel HDMI/USB bay yoke to you?

I actually stumbled upon it myself on reddit maybe but you did answer some questions I had about it!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104039473&postcount=15

Doge wrote: »
    I actually stumbled upon it myself on reddit maybe but you did answer some questions I had about it!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104039473&postcount=15

That was probably me on Reddit too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Do you fellas hang the cable from the ceiling or just leave it on the floor? Ideally I'd like it go from the ceiling down but I don't really fancy paying so much for these things.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MIDWEC-Retractable-Management-Headset-Adhesive/dp/B06XT2XLZ5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518219662&sr=8-1&keywords=oculus+cable+management

Any cheaper methods?

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    That was probably me on Reddit too :D

Haha small world, just did a search and found your post!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5n0lf8/any_approved_frontpanel_usb_disk_bays/

Advertisement