Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options
1123124125126127129»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

So a new Oculus prototype has been revealed with 140 degrees FOV and motorised varifocal lenses with the same form factor as the original Rift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

FOV is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

I'm selling my Oculus, not sure if you can share an adverts link here like on the Gaming forum? Mods - apologies if not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I used to play Elite dangerous back before i got a rift, then stopped.]

Jumped back into it last week after buying the horizons expansion in steam sale.

It is incredible. Below is a copy/paste of the post i just put in elite dangeroud thread.

Try this out if you haven't, really exceptional VR experience, though i guess it needs a HOTAS to fully appreciate.

Got back into the bubble and bought myself a Krait. Absolutely loving the cockpit in VR & loving flying around in VR, so much fun. I don't know why I haven't been doing it for a while.

Also really loving the manoeverability of teh krait after being in my anaconda for so long. I sold my other ships, left only with a conda and a krait, but with plenty of money left in the bank. Maybe I will pick up an asp, always liked that, though perhaps not necessary with a krait especially i f i can engineer FSD mto get a better jump range.

Surface game not terribly exciting and i did get a bit nauseous first time in SRV, but took a break and was fine for next one. Still the engineering stuff looks pretty good.

Went to some planet in pleaides following a youtube vid. Took ages to get to the correct co-ordinates to find some barnacles but picked up the mats I need to get started with felicity farseer. Quite irritated that i sold about 30 million worth of exploration data before realising I could have sold it to her for rep boost. Ah well. Also was irritated that i had not equipped a discovery scanner in my krait so had to fly back to find one before could on correct planet to get the barnacles i was looking for. Now back in space and route plotted to get to her base.

Pity it is so hot, making my headset pretty warm and my face pretty sweaty.

That bearing app sounds like a godsend, though i did eventually get the hang of compass readings to get to co-ordinates I wanted. Also absolute PITA to use galactic map/system, map in VR. I have been switching to 2D to set my routes then back into VR. Probably just need to set up controls to select things in galactic map/system map. Can't seem to work mouse when in VR.

Wondering how confident i should be going into combat without engineered equipment. have been avoiding interdictions rather than duking it out.

any suggested loadout for the Krait? I have a-rated stuff, d rated life support+ sensors, KWS, surface & discovery scarred, 3* gimballed pulse + 2 * multicannon atm. I think i have a shield booster, chaaf launcher and point defense. Plenty of power to spare.

Have to figure out how to get back into orbital cruise/glide mode when i drop down to planetary flying, which is too slow to travel to correct co-ords in. is jumping back to FSD flying the only way?

Anyway really enjoyed this once i got back into bubble. And really enjoying VR now there is stuff to see other than just another star and the same anaconda cockpit/bridge. Next time my dad comes to the house I intend to put him in one of the training missions in VR, he was blown away when i showed him the game in 2D a year ago or so. Not sure he will get the hang of hotas though.

Pity there is no "sandbox" mode to try out all the ships in VR, just to see what they feel/look like. Kind of have a hankering to buy a t-9 just because I loved the feeling of maas/bulk when i flew that way back when, want to try in VR. Doubt i will spend the money on it though, since would not actually use it beyond trying it out. I guess if i rank up maybe a cutter would be better.

Think I am hooked again! VR really gave this a new lease of life. Actually may cross post this in oculus rift thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I tried Elite Dangerous briefly but it prompted me to type something on the keyboard.

How the hell are you supposed to use the keyboard with the headset on (apart from some fancy touch typing). I thought it was all controllable with Touch controllers only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mrcheez wrote: »
    I tried Elite Dangerous briefly but it prompted me to type something on the keyboard.

How the hell are you supposed to use the keyboard with the headset on (apart from some fancy touch typing). I thought it was all controllable with Touch controllers only.

HOTAS and on the Oculus you just look down through the gap. Very little typing once you're set up. It's an epic game.

HOTAS and on the Oculus you just look down through the gap. Very little typing once you're set up. It's an epic game.

I'm playing using my laptop though, so the keyboard isn't in front of me (I sit about 2m back from the laptop when playing VR as that's the setup.)

I'll need to dig out my wireless keyboard.

Can I play it well without a HOTAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm playing using my laptop though, so the keyboard isn't in front of me (I sit about 2m back from the laptop when playing VR as that's the setup.)

I'll need to dig out my wireless keyboard.

Can I play it well without a HOTAS?

I guess you might manage with an xbox controller or some such, but tbh a hotas really adds to it, even if you were playing on a screen rather than in VR. I used to play elite with a keyboard, no mouse, on a commodore 64 & on a BBC master machine back in the day, so it is certainly doable.

I use a saitek x52 and the hotas in the ship matches that - they look identical. The HOTAS in the cockpit mirrors your movements in VR. It does add to the feeling of presence/immersion.

I've got a spare key for the upcoming game "VR Regatta" if anyone wants it.

I won a key and then the dev game me a 2nd one to gift out.

The game is best played if you have 3 sensors as you need to reach behind you (I manage with 2 sensors with difficulty, but my 3rd sensor is arriving tomorrow!)

Anyway, PM me if you want the key for Oculus Rift.

gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Apologies for using the thread as tech support, but my Rift isn't connecting to the Internet. Keeps saying it's 'authenticating' but never actually authenticates. Wifi itself seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭scottygee

I saw a Reddit post about this. They were saying maybe it's an issue with your rift's firmware. Have you tried updating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Cheers. Could be stuck in a chicken/egg cycle here. The machine can't check for software updates because it's offline...

Advertisement