Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Thargor wrote: »
    Any word on the retail release of this or is it all dev kits for the foreseeable future?

The consumer version will be out at the end of the year. V2 of the dev kit is sometime soon. I really can't wait any longer for this though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'd be a bit worried about this motion sickness bit to be honest. Was never really a fan of say, being stuck in a car or otherwise travelling for long, or rollercoasters tbh. The Oculus Rift seems impractical for me, but damn it looks cool. Would appreciate to see how people in a similar boat to me find it either now or when the commercial version gets released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The motion sickness thing is being made out to be a bigger issue than it is. It's not a hardware issue, but a software one. As long as you are supplying the Rift with the correct refresh rate then it's fine.

Most of the things people are playing about with at the moment are demos and dev test pieces. Experimental stuff. As a result, they're not completely optimized, which can lead to a frame rate drop/unnatural head movements and then nausea.

In a well built, tested environment running on a decent rig should result in no nausea at all. Unless you're extremely prone to motion sickness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The motion sickness really is seen as a bigger issue than it actually is. The first demo I played on it was Tuscany, which was wrong since that game does invoke it anyways, and I felt woozy after moving forward.

I eased myself into the Rift by playing for a bit at a time but by the following 2 nights I had adjusted perfectly to it.

A few days later I was playing Quake & Mirror's Edge zipping all over the place, I could just put on Rift and play immediately without any sickness.

It really is a software thing moreso than hardware, some games feel a bit weird at first while most others play perfectly fine from the get-go.

I haven't played in a while because I exhausted the demos out there and I'm waiting for a newer / updated batch to come out before jumping in again, definitely not bored with the device anyways.

I'd love to play Lunar Flight but it doesn't work with my Gamestop Xbox 360 controller, some issue with the game being highly picky about the controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

My only concern with the Rift is durability. I'm sure it looks amazing and everything but can you game with it for 3 hours straight without having to take a pill afterwards? Headaches and car sickness were issues that they've been working on trying to fix for a long time. With this kind of device that's targeted toward the hardcore gamers, if they can't fix the headache problem the Rift is dead in the water to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DeLaTroY wrote: »
    My only concern with the Rift is durability. I'm sure it looks amazing and everything but can you game with it for 3 hours straight without having to take a pill afterwards? Headaches and car sickness were issues that they've been working on trying to fix for a long time. With this kind of device that's targeted toward the hardcore gamers, if they can't fix the headache problem the Rift is dead in the water to me.

Read the above two posts, it's not a hardware issue but a software one.

I've spent 3-5 hour periods in the Rift without any issues. It's a matter of selecting the right software.

Quake is surprisingly really playable and is perfectly suited to the Rift, it's weird playing an old game for the umpteenth time yet feels completely fresh like this.

I've also easily done between 3-5 hours of gaming with the Rift without feeling like shìte afterwards. It's a matter of the right software as mainstream games like Skyrim, Dirt 2 / 3 and Half Life 2 are getting more and more support as the updates go by.

Mirrors Edge with the old Vierio Perception driver was a bit iffy on the sight but the latest one made it far more playable and easier to view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Well that sounds very encouraging so. Also I would have suspected that I would prefer using it as a monitor only and keep the keys and mouse? Turning your head to look around sounds like it would be novel initially but not something I could see myself adopting long tern as a means of input for competitive FPS. Years of muscle memory built up in the keys and mouse matter. What's your take on that based on your experiences? If headaches aren't an issue, I could see myself buying it as a replacement for the monitor though there are other considerations like speed especially now that we've got gsync and faster WQHD coming.

Looking around as input I'd imagine would make sense for certain games like adventure or puzzle where it's a different type of experience. Portal!

There's a TF2 server especially for people with the Rift, haven't tried it myself but it's supposed to be fairly active. I think where it's supposed to shine (especially when the final product is released) is in racing simulation, only bad thing I've heard about the Rift in it's current dev kit form is the low resolution leaving draw distance a bit to be desired on the track.

I wouldn't see the Rift as a replacement at all, more like an enhancement for certain types of gaming, not so much competitive FPS.

Skyrim looks really cool with it and to walk around the world, especially the cities. It is a bit hard to actually play in terms of combat and viewing the UI correctly but they are focusing on it.

The sensation and immersive feeling you get with the Rift is hard to describe without actually trying it on and looking around in a game world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

New prototype and still no Launch date.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

New prototype and still no Launch date.... :(

They mention an olded screen setup, & improved blur reduction etc...but no mention of higher resolutions :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Myrddin wrote: »
    They mention an olded screen setup, & improved blur reduction etc...but no mention of higher resolutions :(

I've seen numerous reports from CES that it is in fact 1080p now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've seen numerous reports from CES that it is in fact 1080p now.

Oh really? That's good to hear. While I loved the existing version, it's screaming out for higher res screens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

That new prototype tracks positional movement such as leaning etc which should help greatly with motion sickness and disorientation. I've tried the rift with a razer hydra strapped to my chest (as a basic positional sensor) and it makes a huge difference to the immersion in that Heli-Hell tech demo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I need this now.

Some more on the new version here http://gizmodo.com/i-wore-the-new-oculus-rift-and-i-never-want-to-look-at-1496569598

I wonder when these will be available to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SlickanTwisted

i have the dev kit and omg it an awesome bitta kit. gaming will take a huge step foward when this is properly released. the consumer version is roumered to be released in the 3rd quarter of this year hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Patiently waiting for the consumer version. I suppose I could technically make use of the developer version for 'work' but the promised upgrades are enough to make me wait.

Needs to hit in 2014 or the momentum the device has built up will start to ebb away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Another CES video here for anyone interested;

Apologies if it's a repost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

We know its awesome.... Just launch the damn thing!

Gonna play with it again this weekend since there's a spate of new / update demos out there.

A guy made a very early and very basic Mario Kart-themed demo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That new version almost looks good enough to buy. I wonder will they release that as a developer version too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Gonna play with it again this weekend since there's a spate of new / update demos out there.

A guy made a very early and very basic Mario Kart-themed demo :pac:

Holy Crap it's Double Dash on the Gamecube. WANTZ

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I was at the BT Young Scientist with work today and oddly enough Intel had two pairs on their stand - as well as a Makerbot.

I didn't get a chance to try them tho. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

5uspect wrote: »
    I was at the BT Young Scientist with work today and oddly enough Intel had two pairs on their stand - as well as a Makerbot.

I didn't get a chance to try them tho. :-(
    Were Intel showing EVE on it? thats what their stand is showing at CES.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Were Intel showing EVE on it? thats what their stand is showing at CES.

They just appeared to have the rollercoaster demo.

Do ye reckon they'll release the new version of the dev kit soon or will they just keep selling the first dev kit? I'm dying to get this and have the cash now but I'd really like the 1080p version if possible. I'm not sure they'll be selling them any time soon though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

5uspect wrote: »
    They just appeared to have the rollercoaster demo.
    Thats a shame, wouldnt mind trying EVE Valkyrie, the rollercoaster i can try at home lol.

Surely there must be a few Rift owners on here that would give you a demo and that live close?
    Do ye reckon they'll release the new version of the dev kit soon or will they just keep selling the first dev kit? I'm dying to get this and have the cash now but I'd really like the 1080p version if possible. I'm not sure they'll be selling them any time soon though :(
    if there will be a DK2 i doubt we would see it until late summertime, its all speculation but they will tell everyone several months beforehand because it would take them a few months to setup production lines etc.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement

I'm glad I stopped myself playing this for about a month in order for new / updated demos & games to be released instead of burning myself out and getting bored. Some of the newer demos definitely show a better grasp on the Rift by tackling problems like nausea when moving and some are on Steam Greenlight, too.

Honestly, don't bother using the Tuscany demo to show people. It's an early nauseating demo that would put a lot of people off the Rift.

Have been spending quite a bit of time playing with it for the past few days, playing for a good few hours at a time. Even after a month of not playing I was able to put on the Rift with no effects immediately..........though there's still that niggling problem of the lenses initially fogging up because my face is warm and the Rift is cold. :pac:

Tridef

A 3D driver that's for Movies + games but has Rift support for many, many mainstream games like Fallout 3 (Works ok), Rayman Legends, and The Stanley Parable with more game support constantly being added. This company saw a market in the Rift and are getting their foot in the door to build up a catalogue for when it's released, I'm guessing.

It costs $40 but I'm trying the 14-day trial and so far it has impressed me in how easy and straight forward it is to use. By bringing up a small menu in-game, you can adjust FOV and Yaw + Pitch to get the Rift to be more in sync with the game if they don't natively work immediately.

The Stanley Parable

Only started playing this on Saturday and only with the Rift (using Tridef). Very enjoyable game that works excellently on it, as if it were built for it with how the rooms look, the perspective of them and the props that are just right.

TimeRifters

Very enjoyable and very addicting Rift demo that's a single-player co-op puzzle FPS..........if that makes sense. Basically you have 4 tries to shoot all the blocks in a big room, each try you play with ghosts of your previous attempts so you have to think ahead on how you'll use all of your guys to complete a level.

It has the ability to upgrade by collecting the small yellow and white boxes which aren't special but feel good when all 4 versions of yourself are raining hell on blocks, like your popping bubble wrap with a steam roller :pac:

Plays excellently on the Rift and is a nicely polished game, I actually wish it didn't end.

Chicken Walk

You play as a chicken and you have to collect seeds by pointing your head down within a certain time period, collect enough and you get to pop an egg out and have a chick follow you around. You also have to dodge the foxes who are on the hunt for you where you have to leg it into your coup to get rid of them.

Pretty easy going and entertaining demo, perspective is quite good on it and you have a button for clucking :pac: There's an online leaderboard so there's incentive to keep coming back to it.

Bleached Eyeballs

Another Rift horror game but this one is quite good and blends in puzzles with it. Some good scares in it and has a nice dark atmosphere to it, haven't completed it yet.

Space Engine

This will be awesome game for the Rift, which will have support for it soon. If you're into astronomy then you'll probably like this as you can explore the known universe and fly right down onto a planet's surface to have a gawk around. Has tons of info on other things like satellites, moons, stars, etc.

Can't wait for the Rift version to come out.

Asunder: Earthbound

Heard a lot about this which lots of people called it one of the best experiences on the Rift. It's visually good, very much like a Twilight Show episode but about 20 minutes long (If even) and it costs $10 and didn't really wow me like other demos though it does show the potential Rift games can be.

Absolutely swallows resources for such a short and small game where there's no walking around and effectively just one setting. Voice-acting is shìte and ruins it a bit, I think.

Skeleton Rush

Bob-sleigh game. Not much else to it but gives a good sense of speed........that's about it, really.

Proton Pulse Rift

A Breakout-style game with a different perspective and retro-orientated sounds. The video makes it look like a colourful mess but plays surprisingly well.

BouncerVR

A pong-type game that's middling, exactly what you'd expect it to be so nothing magical.

I tried a few more, just can't think of them now.

Loads more demos and games I've yet to try too and the Tridef adds more to the list so I'll be kept busy for a while.

The guy making the Mario Kart demo is coming along nicely and he's trying to create a multiplayer version so I'm hoping that works out as he's going at a decent pace with it.

There's also a 3D lapdance video which I've yet to..............eh............experience...........

Advertisement