Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

lmimmfn wrote: »
    lol, well he changed his mind then i guess because if you look at Palmer Luckeys post history he posted:

http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

Abrashes slides - http://media.steampowered.com/apps/abrashblog/Abrash%20Dev%20Days%202014.pdf

He specifically avoided a direct comparison and Abrash's slides dont say that whats in the Feasible 2015 consumer HMD" is the specs of Valves headset
    That thread is no longer accessible and if you click on it it takes you to the thread where he says "CV1 will meet or exceed the quality of Valve's demo."

So i dont know what went on there.

Does it really matter??

Whether he said:
    "the specifications and quality will be above the baseline level Michael Abrash outlined in his talk"
    or
    "CV1 will meet or exceed the quality of Valve's demo" (he said both)

Im stoked either way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Been playing Half Life 2 and both Episodes One & Two since the betas have gotten better and allow higher resolution than 1280x800.

I've played Half Life 2 too many times to where it felt like a great experience to me but it was cool with the Rift looking at everything and gunplay, once you get used to the gun being independent with your mouse, is satisfying.

But once you get to Ravenholm...........absolutely..........fùcking.........rotten. The Rift increases the tension and dread tenfold, those black headcrabs that take all of your health will have you squirming and flinching like fùck as they fly at your head (Really, really doesn't help that the stereoscopic 3D makes them that little bit more in your face).

Best way to play Ravenholm is with headphones, it's a horrible experience. I've played that part countless times but the Rift was the first time since......well, the first time I ever played Ravenholm, where I was getting real jumpy at the slightest sounds.

After Ravenholm I decided to jump to Episodes 1 & 2, the immersion is faaaaaaar better in these and the Rift really excels. Only at the beginning of Episode 2 so looking forward to completing that tonight or tomorrow.

Eurgh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I haven't played episode one or two... can't wait now

Grimebox wrote: »
    I haven't played episode one or two... can't wait now

Waaaaaay, way better with the Rift than the base Half Life 2 game. It's a testament to the game and the engine on how well it was retrofitted to work with it and how immersive it is. The first 10 minutes or so in Episode One is really good.

Headphones definitely add to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The Antlion caves in Episode 2 freaked me out the most. Those creepy bastards are huge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ha theres no way in a million years id play through ravenholm with a rift!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

smithy1981 wrote: »
    Does it really matter??

Whether he said:
    "the specifications and quality will be above the baseline level Michael Abrash outlined in his talk"
    or
    "CV1 will meet or exceed the quality of Valve's demo" (he said both)

Im stoked either way :D
    lol, well yeah im stoked too, im just curious why he changed what he said within such a short timeframe, the Crystal Cove prototype has a slightly lower visible resolution than the Valve HMD, so either between his posts they've got a new panel on the way or theyve decided to change to optics of the consumer rift to match valves.
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Ha theres no way in a million years id play through ravenholm with a rift!
    I have, its brilliant, especially the HL2 VR version so you can pop them with the Razor hydras, still have to finish a bit of HL2 before i can move on to Episode 1

Google Street View modified by someone to work with the Rift is incredibly surreal, especially when you go to places familiar to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Just ordered one of these bad boys today, now we wait...

The Antlion caves in Episode 2 freaked me out the most. Those creepy bastards are huge!

That was an savagely intense bit with the massive bug that chases you and you shìt yourself trying to get to a little tunnel.

When something chases you when you're wearing the Rift it's a pretty stomach-churning feeling because it always feels right in your face when those things smack you.

Episode One & Two are fantastic on the Rift, I've clocked in a good few hours at a time playing it with little affect or eye strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So the Rift provides a good FPS experience then? You'd play through Half Life/Far Cry etc no problem? that was my main worry as a lot of the videos Ive watched people seem to firing their gun like they're controlling a remote gun turret.

• Just ordered one of these bad boys today, now we wait...
    Might sound silly..but how exatcly??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Thargor wrote: »
    So the Rift provides a good FPS experience then? You'd play through Half Life/Far Cry etc no problem? that was my main worry as a lot of the videos Ive watched people seem to firing their gun like they're controlling a remote gun turret.

HL2VR played ok but motion sickness is a factor with FPSs and the DK1 (for me anyway) The consumer version should fix that though.

Most FPSs aren't suited that well to be honest as the walking speeds etc, are not suited to VR. The medic in TF2 runs at a speed equivalent to about 35 mp/h and have the same speed going forward as backwards. HL2VR slows down the game if i remember correctly.

I think that a FPS will have to be made especially for VR for it to be any good.... thats my 2 cents anyway.

Thargor wrote: »

Most games have the gun glued to your face, so when you move your head the gun moves too, it's a bit strange at first but you do adjust to it pretty quickly. It feels perfect in Quake, though :pac:

The thing about watching Oculus Rift videos on Youtube is that, no matter how good they are, they just don't do it justice. You really need to wear it to get a proper feel where you soak up you surroundings and movement in the game.

I really liked and prefer Half Life's method where the gun is independent, you move it with your mouse while you're free to move your head freely. I briefly tried Metro: Last Light which really looks the business in it but was awkward to get used to because I was so used to Half Life's way. I'll try it again when I get the time.

Being used to other FPS I didn't like it initially but now I honestly think it's the best way FPS games should be with the Rift, in my opinion, and it really added to the immersion. The gun feels like it's actually there as you can tilt / move your head to get a better look at the gun at various angles.

I stopped playing Half Life 2 after Ravenholm, it's best bit for the Rift which was brilliant, because I'm bored with that game from playing it so much. Episodes One & Two I played all the way through, a few hours at a time so had no ill effects of wearing the Rift. I'm well used to it now so I don't get any kind of nausea anymore (It was mild at the start because the whole thing was new to me)

I'm going to try Arma 2 tonight. I tried it briefly before and it seemed decent, had to really turn down the settings though since Arma gobbles up resources alone but I have a solid framerate now. It would be really hard to use for the online competitive play but I'd say it'll be fun with the Zombie mods.

I've had the Rift for a few months now and I still don't think it's a gimmick, I took time off during December to let new updates, support and games to come out and it really is getting better as time goes by. When I first tried Half Life 2 and the VR beta it was a bit rubbish and they had the resolution capped at 1280x800 but I think it's brilliant now since they ironed out a few things.

I'm still going to buy the consumer version when it's released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Interesting interview with Carmack over on USA Today. Seems he'd have continued working at both id and OR but for the fact that ZeniMax didn't want him doing VR stuff with id's upcoming games. Seems short-sighted of them.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Might sound silly..but how exatcly??

Went here and clicked order. I wasn't aware the wait time was down to days now. Got an email saying my order was being moved to processing and looked though the site and seems people in europe are getting them a week or so after ordering now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

... seems people in europe are getting them a week or so after ordering now :pac:
    Yeah its very quick at the moment, I ordered one about two weeks ago on a Monday and I had it in my hands on the Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Where's my 1080p dev kit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Where's my 1080p dev kit?!
    I wonder will they do one? The crystal cove one is looking really good and people like me that are desperately wanting one might decide to buy in at that stage rather than the full retail one. They wouldn't want to lose to many customers that way, I'm sure they'll be making more profits off the full retail version where they can optimize production.

• Went here and clicked order. I wasn't aware the wait time was down to days now. Got an email saying my order was being moved to processing and looked though the site and seems people in europe are getting them a week or so after ordering now :pac:
    Thanks very much, I'm going to do some reading up on this but 2 quick questions;

How do you get the supported titles to work with rift; as in do you just need to own a steam copy of HL2 for example?
    And is there minimum spec required / what connectivity options to graphics card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Most games have the gun glued to your face, so when you move your head the gun moves too, it's a bit strange at first but you do adjust to it pretty quickly.

When you think about it, you essentially have the physiology of a dalek in most computer games

except for crouch i guess

Thanks very much, I'm going to do some reading up on this but 2 quick questions;

How do you get the supported titles to work with rift; as in do you just need to own a steam copy of HL2 for example?
    And is there minimum spec required / what connectivity options to graphics card?

You have to own HL2 and other games that work on it unless they are demo's made for the rift. Here's a list games that work so far or are on the way LINK.

I'll leave this to people on here that actually have one and know more about it than me.

In the case of HL2 and a few other titles that do it, you would need a Steam copy to opt-in for the betas which regularly update the VR files. It would save you a lot of hassle and they generally work better than fiddling with settings every time you start the game up.

For everything else you can use the free 3D software Vireio Perception that supports a few games like Skyrim to work straight away with the Rift, or try out TriDef with it's 14-day trial which is pretty versatile and supports a decent amount of games. I played The Stanley Parable through TriDef with no problems and ending up paying the €30 for it since it works pretty well and I'll get more use out of it down the line.

Then there's the huge amount of free very good demos / tech demos / mods / retrofitted games like Quake you can play with the Rift that are available from the Oculus Forums or the Oculus Share site. I've about 80+ of these demos, some are to show off to people while others are genuinely fun to play / experience.

The Rift comes with a HDMI cable + a HDMI-to-DVI adapter, so you can either plug it into a HDMI port or a DVI port on your graphics card.

A mid-range gaming machine will cover most games at a solid framerate, especially at 1280x800 which is the Rift's resolution though you can bump the game up more (I put it at 1920x1080 since it's through the HTPC that connects to my TV) which makes things like text easier to read.

This year will be good for the Oculus as there's lots of games coming out this year with native support for it. I'm looking forward to The Forest which should be out soon:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

presence....the new buzzword!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Seriously, whens the consumer version or even the crystal cove version going to be available?

• Duggy747 wrote: »
    In the case of HL2 and a few other titles that do it, you would need a Steam copy to opt-in for the betas which regularly update the VR files. It would save you a lot of hassle and they generally work better than fiddling with settings every time you start the game up.

For everything else you can use the free 3D software Vireio Perception that supports a few games like Skyrim to work straight away with the Rift, or try out TriDef with it's 14-day trial which is pretty versatile and supports a decent amount of games. I played The Stanley Parable through TriDef with no problems and ending up paying the €30 for it since it works pretty well and I'll get more use out of it down the line.

Then there's the huge amount of free very good demos / tech demos / mods / retrofitted games like Quake you can play with the Rift that are available from the Oculus Forums or the Oculus Share site. I've about 80+ of these demos, some are to show off to people while others are genuinely fun to play / experience.

The Rift comes with a HDMI cable + a HDMI-to-DVI adapter, so you can either plug it into a HDMI port or a DVI port on your graphics card.

A mid-range gaming machine will cover most games at a solid framerate, especially at 1280x800 which is the Rift's resolution though you can bump the game up more (I put it at 1920x1080 since it's through the HTPC that connects to my TV) which makes things like text easier to read.

This year will be good for the Oculus as there's lots of games coming out this year with native support for it. I'm looking forward to The Forest which should be out soon:
    Question before I order, does the devkit become obsolete once consumer version becomes available?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Question before I order, does the devkit become obsolete once consumer version becomes available?:confused:

Why would it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In the retail version and in any of the dev kits will you be able to sit down and watch a film on the Oculus with the effect it looks like a giant screen like those glasses Sony or someone had a few years back? Im wondering if we'll ever see IMAX rips on Piratebay for use with the Oculus or is it just too awkward for sitting through a full film on?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah you can do that already. VRCinema takes it further and is like you're sitting in a cinema watching a film.

Has anyone played 'Don't let go'? just playing it now, jesus christ it has me on edge!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Interested in hearing more about VRCinema. What's it like? I watch a huge amount of movies and although I've resisted so far, that nearly nails it for me.

Advertisement