Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• o1s1n wrote: »
    Why would it? :confused:
    As in software / games / movie support, firmware revisions etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

o1s1n wrote: »
    Has anyone played 'Don't let go'? just playing it now, jesus christ it has me on edge!

I thought it was funny when the dinosaur came into the room but that very last bit in the end got me. :pac:

Interested in hearing more about VRCinema. What's it like? I watch a huge amount of movies and although I've resisted so far, that nearly nails it for me.

It's pretty cool at the moment, there's at least a handful of different software like VRCinema. I actually forgot that today or last week they ran an online VRCinema thing for people with the Rift to sit in an watch a film together, completely forgot about it.

It's pretty good, a bit of a pain to set up with some movies due to it's current limitations of only accepting a certain format (I haven't touched it in a few months so it may have changed). Once someone nails the lighting down in the cinema to really get the immersion then it will be enjoyable.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    As in software / games / movie support, firmware revisions etc??

I don't think it would be obsolete, just lacking in some features like if a game wants you to lean over an edge sort of thing. This year, lots of mainstream games will be natively supporting the Rift and there isn't even a release date yet.

It could easily be late 2014 / this time next year before we see the consumer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive never been as excited about any forthcoming product as I am about the retail Rift :D

• Ok I'm about to order but total is coming in at $ 424.35, is there anyway of getting this shipped cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ok I'm about to order but total is coming in at $ 424.35, is there anyway of getting this shipped cheaper?

Customs will expect you to pay them money as well if they intercept it so you might need to have some cash ready.

If customs do catch you could you come on and tell us how much they caught you for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Thargor wrote: »

Ive never been as excited about any forthcoming product as I am about the retail Rift :D

That's pretty damn cool, definitely putting the OR higher on my buy list now. It'll probably be my next big tech purchase once the final version is ready. I'd like to see a proper gmod OR mod because GMOD already has a cinema mod and that is hella fun as it is already.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Interested in hearing more about VRCinema. What's it like? I watch a huge amount of movies and although I've resisted so far, that nearly nails it for me.

VRCinema at the moment is more about the feeling of being in a cinema than using it as a practical thing.

You really do feel like you're there. For me it's been one of the best VR experiences yet.

However, the resolution right now is a little too low to be using it to watch all your films. You could watch them and fairly comfortably, but it wouldn't be your primary way of watching films.

Definitely will be though once a high res version comes out.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    I thought it was funny when the dinosaur came into the room but that very last bit in the end got me. :pac:

I tried it a second time and the moment he said 'spider behind laptop' I let go straight away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

macker33 wrote: »
    Customs will expect you to pay them money as well if they intercept it so you might need to have some cash ready.

If customs do catch you could you come on and tell us how much they caught you for?

Aren't Dev kits exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Fighting the temptation to buy one now and hold off for the official release. Otherwise I'll end up buying two...

• Advertisement

Fighting the temptation to buy one now and hold off for the official release. Otherwise I'll end up buying two...

Thats exactly whats wrong with me.
    I know for a fact that if i order one now they will come out with the consumer version a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

when is the official release?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They haven't said. It's very much a "When its ready" job. Most people think it will be around the end of this year or possibly the start of 2015.

I'm holding off for the Crystal cove devkit because I think If I buy the SD version and then 1080p version comes out a week later, I'll hate myself. :p

Im debating to get it or not, I just dont know. Can anyone convince me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

macker33 wrote: »

It actually ships from the UK (at least, mine did) so customs shouldn't be involved. My tracking details were: Feltham, United Kingdom -> Tamworth, United Kingdom - > Dublin, Ireland -> Cork, Ireland

Kirby wrote: »

I'm holding off for the Crystal cove devkit because I think If I buy the SD version and then 1080p version comes out a week later, I'll hate myself. :p

any date for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

JohnK wrote: »
    It actually ships from the UK (at least, mine did) so customs shouldn't be involved. My tracking details were: Feltham, United Kingdom -> Tamworth, United Kingdom - > Dublin, Ireland -> Cork, Ireland

Same as this. Ordered mine last tuesday and is due tomorrow :D So you could have it friday if ordered tomorrow ;)

No timeline for the consumer version yet, even if it is announced it'll probably be months before it's released and even then it'll take a bit of time to actually get your order processed. There'll more than likely be heavy demand for launch.

I imagine at least a late 2014 release, maybe leading up to Xmas, but my guess is as good as any. The Crystal Cove is still a prototype so the consumer version may be different in terms of having that camera as a 2nd piece.

I'm glad I bought mine back in October, I love me Rift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Ordered one of these yesterday, whats the best stuff to download to get started?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    Ordered one of these yesterday, whats the best stuff to download to get started?

Titans of Space is the main demo I'd use to show the Rift off to people for the first time.

• Advertisement

Aren't Dev kits exempt?

Exempt from the irish government? i seriously doubt it

Though a lot people might say Tuscany I'd personally stay away from it when starting off, it will make you feel nauseous far worse than most of the other demos / games out there.

What I show to people who aren't used to it is Blue Marble with either Gary Jules:

Or, what I prefer, Carl Sagan and The Pale Blue Dot which I ripped from this video:

You can put any song you want into it, though, as the speed of the demo changes to suit the length of the song. Also, as long as it's in the .ogg format which you can convert online here

There's tons of games / tech demos to try out, you definitely have to try a rollercoaster demo :P

Either go to the Oculus Forums or Oculus Share to see all the stuff you can play. There's a lot of "meh" stuff but I've about 80+ demos / games that are fun to play and experience.

You'll need to ease yourself into the Rift, play maybe 20 - 40 minutes at a time so your eyes and brain can adjust. The first time experiencing everything is weird and really cool, like Epic Dragon where you can fly high up and then come barrelling back down giving you that sense of height :pac:

Took me about a day and now I'm perfectly adapted to it, can pick it up and play anything immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

So they are shipping pretty fast these days, no 2 month waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

So they are shipping pretty fast these days, no 2 month waiting?

Nope, they caught up with the orders so that people would have them for xmas and now the wait is a week. It's pretty sweet :D

You know what lads im going to order one

Where did you get yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How inferior will the current dev kits be to the final retail version do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I want one so bad, but I think I'll hold out for the better screen. I would eat garbage for just 10 minutes alone with one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I want one so bad, but I think I'll hold out for the better screen. I would eat garbage for just 10 minutes alone with one though.
    theres plenty of us here that own one and im sure most of us would be willing to demo it. Im in the midlands about an hours drive from Dublin so depending where you are maybe someone closer can give you a demo.

Just bought mine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I agree with Duggy, stay away from tuscany. The blue marble demo is perfect though. I managed about 20 seconds the first time I tried tuscany. The rollercoaster is good for demos too and for long sessions, try Half-Life 2 or Lunar Flight.

Must give mine a go again soon, I've heard that there's a good flying eagle sim called Ambient Flight

Advertisement