Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

safetyboy wrote: »
    After 4 hours at 300€, and going half blind, also trying to get an xbox 360 controller working, I'm kind of impressed, but I need a bit more time. backed out of terror rift as I was actually freaked out. Its very impressive but gonna try out a few more bits and make my assumption! The hardest part is getting an xbox360 controller working with W7.

You have a wired controller or a wireless receiver? I have an official one and works perfectly with all games. Find it too slow to turn on a lot of rift games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I have a wired kind of charger that connects, not fully connected. tried the ps2 via the usb from dealz too!! i just wnna roam about ffs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I have a wired kind of charger that connects, not fully connected. tried the ps2 via the usb from dealz too!! i just wnna roam about ffs :)

Sound like you are using the charge and play kit which doesn't transfer data over the cable. Get a wired 360pad or the pc Xbox 360 wifi dongle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Get a wired Xbox 360 controller, much less hassle and fiddling about on a PC. I've a bog standard Gamestop one that does the job........doesn't work on my Raspberry Pi but, oh well.

What are the best settings to have it set up as, It's still very jittery amiga oldskool. Is there away to adjust the vision and frame rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

After 4 hours at 300€, and going half blind, also trying to get an xbox 360 controller working, I'm kind of impressed, but I need a bit more time. backed out of terror rift as I was actually freaked out. Its very impressive but gonna try out a few more bits and make my assumption! The hardest part is getting an xbox360 controller working with W7.

This may help? https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/list

ondafly wrote: »
    Sound like you are using the charge and play kit which doesn't transfer data over the cable. Get a wired 360pad or the pc Xbox 360 wifi dongle.

I can play games on the xbox with the cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I can play games on the xbox with the cable?
    Because it gets power over the USB cable but it is using wifi to connect to the xbox, not the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Because it gets power over the USB cable but it is using wifi to connect to the xbox, not the cable.

Exactly. The xbox has a builtin receiver for the pad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What are the best settings to have it set up as, It's still very jittery amiga oldskool. Is there away to adjust the vision and frame rate?

I run Game Booster Pro whenever using the Rift. It gives a handy FPS count up in the top left corner.

You want to be aiming for as close to 60fps in all games. I've found down to 40fps to be playable, however once games drop under that you start feeling motion sick and lose immersion levels. So it's good to have it there on your desktop screen so you can monitor it at all times.

I also use some ovclocking software (MSI Afterburner) to try and squeeze a few more FPS out of the computer. Be careful with it though.

If you're still not getting a playable FPS in games after tweaking, then it's time for a new GPU! :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1xulre/oculus_has_a_prototype_even_better_than_ccvortex/

@o1s1n I'll post my spec when I get at home if you can let me know if I've enough juice think its an i5 3.2 sandy bridge CPU

I have the resolution at 1280-800 is that the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Just check the fps before trying to overclock. Also, make sure the oculus is the primary display if you are mirroring the display on your monitor as the secondary display will sometimes show tearing in a mirrored setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1xulre/oculus_has_a_prototype_even_better_than_ccvortex/

@o1s1n I'll post my spec when I get at home if you can let me know if I've enough juice think its an i5 3.2 sandy bridge CPU

I have the resolution at 1280-800 is that the best?

The thing is, the FPS you're getting will vary a lot between demos you're playing.

I use mine with a laptop which has an i5, 6GB of RAM and a GEForce 540m - so it's definitely not ideal and I'm considering building myself a new gaming PC.

But it can still run things like Doom/Quake/Half Life 2/Team Fortress 2 etc at a very comfortable FPS.

Best thing to do is just to install something like Game Booster which lets you see the FPS you're getting in each game/demo. You'll then know if it's playable or not on your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

That's very kind of you sir.
    ahh not at all, its something you really need to try yourself to see if you would like one and if i didnt have one myself i know i would really appreciate someone demoing one for me, 300euro is a lot of money to blindly throw at something.

Ive demoed mine to about 6 people, one bought a rift afterwards and the other 5 were really impressed( only 2 of those were gamers and said they'd pick up the consumer version when it was available )
    Number 1 thing to do with any rift is to overclock the display to 71Hz, its the highest it will go before the picture is affected, doing so reduces the blur and improves the responsiveness of the head tracking.
    71Hz means you should be aiming for 71FPS+ in games rather than 60FPS. A good demo to test default 60hz vs overclocked 71Hz is the Iceland demo as it has lots of high contrast areas( dark trees against white snow ) so moving your head fast you'll definately see a big difference.

I would also set the brightness/contrast to about 50 on each on the rift box.

As was said above set it as the primary display, if you have an ATI card you can use CCC to set a hotkey for this and another key to revery it back to normal.

Its also better to run it at a higher resolution than the rift supports as the controller box will downscale the image, this means the image will be aliased reducing the jaggy lines of the low resolution.
    Only 16:10 aspect ratios look right so you would be setting the resolution to 1680x1050 or 1920x1200. For some reason with Unity demos i cant set the resolution above 1280x800 with my card/drivers as the image will be choppy, everything else works fine though.

If you have the gpu power then instead of running at a higher resolution or combined with the higher resolution add a load of AA, i run Euro Truck sim @ 1680x1050 and have x16CSAA on top of that, it meas i can see cars and corners in the distance compared to blocks with low AA and 1200x800.

Again as was said above older games like HL2 are perfect in the Rift, but the likes of Assetto Corsa or Euro Truck Simulator require a lot of grunt especially the latter so overclock everything, ive my old i7 at 4Ghz and my 780Ti( got it specifically for the rift ) on +200 core and mem.

Euro Truck Sim is completely cpu bound so you still wont get 60FPS even with the latest cpu @4.5 Ghz, but i get 40-60FPS and its fine, tbh though below 50FPS sux in any game with the rift.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Best thing to do is just to install something like Game Booster which lets you see the FPS you're getting in each game/demo. You'll then know if it's playable or not on your computer.
    MSI Afterburner can also show the FPS when configured and tbh with the rift overclocking the gpu is good so it can do both. The only games it wont show the FPS in are 64bit games( currently just Battlefield 4 and the old Crysis 1 64bit version ).

Gaming wise i find decent controllers add loads to the immersion, G25 with gear shifter and pedals is excellent with Euro Truck Sim 2 & Assetto Corsa( works great in Dirt 3 also - but that needs a 3rd party injector which is very messy with the rift ), Razor Hydras are fantastic in Half Life 2 VR so that it tracks your hands in 3d space for shooting.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

I just saw the future of VR at @Oculus. Wow. Even if you've seen Crystal Cove. Even if you were at Dev Days. You ain't seen nothing yet.

That sounds amazing!

I thought Crystal Cove would end up being the consumer version with improved aesthetics.

But if they're going beyond the Crystal Cove spec we're in for a big treat when it finally comes out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Looks like PrioVR is the accessory to have for FPS games!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yeitechnology/priovr-suit-up-game-on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

waveform wrote: »
    That sounds amazing!

I thought Crystal Cove would end up being the consumer version with improved aesthetics.

But if they're going beyond the Crystal Cove spec we're in for a big treat when it finally comes out!

They'd already be prototyping next gen hardware so I doubt he was talking about the first consumer release. Would be a big red flag for more delays if they were altering the consumer's release's specs this late in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,610 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so my rift is shipped today, I should have it this week coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

im as far as the submit order link to buy this. really want one but really want to wait and see if the higher res dev kit comes out aswell.

im going to give it one more week then order it regardless. hopefully will be a smooth install when it comes.

• Advertisement

audidiesel wrote: »
    im as far as the submit order link to buy this. really want one but really want to wait and see if the higher res dev kit comes out aswell.

im going to give it one more week then order it regardless. hopefully will be a smooth install when it comes.

A higher res dev kit won't be out anytime soon. If one does come out I reckon it'll be Q4 of this year. I was waiting also but after CES 2014 I knew there was no point so ordered one and have it a few days now. Very happy with it so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm about to order but it's €424, is this right?

I'm about to order but it's €424, is this right?

Was around €313 for me. Do you mean $424? If so then yeah that's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Oh ok, that's not too bad at all.

I'm trying Rifts cave at the moment and i'm getting a FPS of about 16, how do i improve this?

Ive installed gamebooster and ticked the show FPS but its not showing it either.

Tuscany is running at 50FPS with vsync off!

I'm trying Rifts cave at the moment and i'm getting a FPS of about 16, how do i improve this?

Ive installed gamebooster and ticked the show FPS but its not showing it either.

Tuscany is running at 50FPS with vsync off!

AA turned off?
    Just cleared dear ester, i can only imagine what that would be like on the rift.

as soon as I start the cave as in go through the first door it jumps to 60fps, must be just the menu section.

Nice little danmaku shmup on it https://share.oculusvr.com/app/suwako-chan-cubic-for-oculus-rift plays well too

Played some team fortress 2 as well, felt a bit sick after a bit!

as soon as I start the cave as in go through the first door it jumps to 60fps, must be just the menu section.

Nice little danmaku shmup on it https://share.oculusvr.com/app/suwako-chan-cubic-for-oculus-rift plays well too

Played some team fortress 2 as well, felt a bit sick after a bit!

Youre a lucky guy, if you dont mind me asking what cpu/gpu you got and have you tried any old games on it yet?

0104 - Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    0105 - Memory : 8192MB RAM
    0301 - Card Name : NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Its great fun this rift, just waiting on a wireless receiver for the 360 controller, then games should be easier.

• Advertisement

Well i wouldnt think its too easy if you have to keep checking where the keys are, have you checked out fallen angel yet? looks seriously polished

Advertisement